Moyes on 5 Live at 8.30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose by that token then, that old whisky nose has a poor spending record with veron, kleberson, anderson amongst others being major flops.

He does have quite a patchy record. It's too early to judge recent signings like De Gea, but he regularly pays a lot of money for doozies: Bebe (£7.7m), Obertan (£3.5m), Tosic (£6.1m), Hargreaves (£22m), Djemba-Djemba (£3.9m), Bellion (£2.6m) and Forlan (£9.6m) to name a few.

He does have quite a patchy record. It's too early to judge recent signings like De Gea, but he regularly pays a lot of money for doozies: Bebe (£7.7m), Obertan (£3.5m), Tosic (£6.1m), Hargreaves (£22m), Djemba-Djemba (£3.9m), Bellion (£2.6m) and Forlan (£9.6m) to name a few.

It's possible that your expectations are too high if you think neither Ferguson or Moyes have an eye for a player.

It's possible that your expectations are too high if you think neither Ferguson or Moyes have an eye for a player.

I'm not saying that they don't. Fergie seems to have a thing for South American playmakers that rarely pays off. He'll probably tell you himself that his best signings have been gritty players for sensible sums (Bruce, Keane, Ince), players in the last chance saloon (Cantona, Larsson, Blanc, Sheringham), talent that he spotted early (Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani, Van Nistelrooy, Solskjaer) or reliable pros (Irwin, Parker, Phelan). None of those groups will cost him a fortune. It's the marquee signings that he attempts (Veron, Berbatov, Anderson, Tevez, Poborsky, Kleberson) and his blind spot for goalkeepers (Howard, Barthez, Leighton, Kuszchak, Carroll, Sealey) that are his biggest downfall.

1. Fellaini £15m- Hit
2. Yakubu £12.5m- Miss
3. Johnson £9.6m- Hit & Miss
4. Bilyaletdinov £8.8m- Miss
5. Baines £6.6m- Hit
6. Heitinga £6.2m- Hit
7. Beattie £6m- Miss
8. Kroldrup £5.9m- Miss
9. Lescott £5.7m- Hit
10. Distin £5.5m- Hit
11. Jelavic £5.5m- Hit
12. Davies £4.6m- Miss
13. Yobo £4.4m- Hit & Miss

7 Misses/6 Hits, but only 1 hit in the top 4. If you took Heitinga's form before last season he would have been a Miss too. Moyes buys better when he has £1.5m-£2.5m to spend (Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, Martyn, Bent, Kilbane, Valente and Jacobsen) than when he has a warchest.

There, sorted one or 2 for ya! :D

I thought at the time AJ and Yobo did well for us in parts and i wouldnt consider them total misses.

You're right. They have a manager who knows how to beat QPR at home.

Wenger inherited one of the best defences this country has ever seen plus class players like Bergkamp, Wright, Parlour and Seaman and works with a brilliant board which means he can afford a wage bill that's double ours.

Since he stopped getting all the money to reinvest when he sold players the trophies have dried up.

Context.

Agreed he was sh ite, but hes boss for CSKA

I'm not saying that they don't. Fergie seems to have a thing for South American playmakers that rarely pays off. He'll probably tell you himself that his best signings have been gritty players for sensible sums (Bruce, Keane, Ince), players in the last chance saloon (Cantona, Larsson, Blanc, Sheringham), talent that he spotted early (Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani, Van Nistelrooy, Solskjaer) or reliable pros (Irwin, Parker, Phelan). None of those groups will cost him a fortune. It's the marquee signings that he attempts (Veron, Berbatov, Anderson, Tevez, Poborsky, Kleberson) and his blind spot for goalkeepers (Howard, Barthez, Leighton, Kuszchak, Carroll, Sealey) that are his biggest downfall.
I wouldnt call Berbatov a miss.
Before they signed him he had 2 great years at Spurs, his first 2 years at united have been productive.
He may not go down as a bargain, but definatly not a flop.

I wouldnt call Berbatov a miss.
Before they signed him he had 2 great years at Spurs, his first 2 years at united have been productive.
He may not go down as a bargain, but definatly not a flop.

He's a strange one. Top scorer in the league the year before last and then Fergie decides that he's not going to play him any more. Whether someone is a hit or miss is totally objective. I've tried to compare it to how well you would hope their spell at the club goes, whether they play and perform regularly and whether they go on to better things afterwards. To be largely left out of the side for a season, even through no fault of his own, and not to be in demand as he nears the end of his contract tip Berba into the miss category for me.

You havent commented on michael owen at united.
Despite the free fee, surely a flop?

Didn't cost them anything, so it was risk free. He's saying that he wants to continue playing in the Prem and Stoke are rumoured to be interested. Crouch and Owen together?

Status
Not open for further replies.