Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

"Moyes says finishing 7th would feel like winning Champions League"

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

Seriously, though, I know what Moyes was trying to say but for a feller who says he has ambition I'm increasingly disbeleiving of it when he comes out with this crap. He's settled, imo.

Its half full/half empty stuff mate, safe to say we had higher expectations for the season. That said at our second best as we have been for most of the season we are still crossing the line in a reasonably healthy position in comparrison to the likes of Sunderland, Villa and perhaps maybe even Spurs - who all made big out lays.

The stuff of the feild is the stuff of the feild mate. Im not going to have a go at the fella who has managed to get us in and around Europe on less then five mill a season and 1 mill last summer. Not forgetting the loss of about 6-8 of his first team squad since last May. In that context - though i dont think he was being literal - hes prob not wrong.

Its half full/half empty stuff mate, safe to say we had higher expectations for the season. That said at our second best as we have been for most of the season we are still crossing the line in a reasonably healthy position in comparrison to the likes of Sunderland, Villa and perhaps maybe even Spurs - who all made big out lays.

Strong finishes to this and last season are scant consolation. They came as a result of the pressure being off and many other teams coming to the end of a draining season because they've been involved in more competitions.

The stuff of the feild is the stuff of the feild, im not going to have a go at the fella, who has managed to get us in and around on less then five mill a season and 1 mill last summer - less the loss of about 6-8 of his first team squad since last May. In that context - though i dont think he was being literal - hes prob not wrong.

He'll always have my upmost respect for coming in and cleaning up the mess the worst manager in Everton's history left behind him. But his horizons have shrunk over the past few seasons. The strain of competing whilst other managers are getting big cash injections to work with is now making itself felt. I thiught Moyes would react to all that by laying down the law to those who employ him - back me or sack me. I was wrong. He's embraced their mediocrity and is now just peddling a line. That's what hurts so much here.

Strong finishes to this and last season are scant consolation. They came as a result of the pressure being off and many other teams coming to the end of a draining season because they've been involved in more competitions.

Maybe but when you look in terms of what he spent in comparrison to almost all clubs in the PL then you have to give his managerial skill some credit. Id accept Spurs are wrecked but others Sunderland, Newcastle, Brum, Villa who spent to get close to us simply havnt. The season finishes in May - you deserve to be where you are at the end of it, even at our second best we are finishing healthy. I know you want 200 mill thrown at the club by a billionaire, but you have to make a fair apprasial in the current context.

He'll always have my upmost respect for coming in and cleaning up the mess the worst manager in Everton's history left behind him. But his horizons have shrunk over the past few seasons. The strain of competing whilst other managers are getting big cash injections to work with is now making itself felt. I thiught Moyes would react to all that by laying down the law to those who employ him - back me or sack me. I was wrong. He's embraced their mediocrity and is now just peddling a line. That's what hurts so much here.

I think pound for pound hes the best manager in the league, his talent is certainly hampered by a loss of finance, I understand your expectations of Everton as a club should be higher - CL/Trophies - in that sense why should he leave a club who should have those expectations? Realisticly there is a glass ceiling, we're all aware of that - personaly i dont think there is an agenda to aim for mediocracey. The club blew away its wage ceiling last season to keep players they thought would get us in the top 4. Lets be fair almost all to a man of us wanted the same. It hasnt turned out way - like i say we have been at our second best. Persoanlly i think many of the players have to bear the responsability, they under performed for six months and many still dont earn their wage. Not that i think Moyes or the Club couldnt of done things better, but i dont think their is a systemic agenda toward medocriaty at the club, if there was i think we would have sold Arteta and Jags last summer and not have offered improved terms to players who contracts in terms of length left, didnt really need it, Baines etc.

Last edited:
In some ways this is showing that Moyes does'nt really rate us alot, it wouldnt be as bad if it was 4th but i just think theres better things Moyes could have said.

Here we go again.

I read that the other day, and I just knew this was coming.

All he is saying is that a few months ago 7th seemed impossible, and now we've got there, so the champions league comparison has nothing to do with his ambition; he just means that we've pulled off an unlikely and pleasant surprise.

Davek you are like a reporter who only quotes what he wants to suit he own needs. You fail to mention that in the same article he also says "If we had finished 7th at the start we would have been dissapointed, but i think the point is that where we have come from after the poor opening to the season" Imo does not sound like a man with no ambition or has settled. You only quote what suits you

Davek you are like a reporter who only quotes what he wants to suit he own needs. You fail to mention that in the same article he also says "If we had finished 7th at the start we would have been dissapointed, but i think the point is that where we have come from after the poor opening to the season" Imo does not sound like a man with no ambition or has settled. You only quote what suits you

Now the full story comes out, Doesn't seem as bad now. :p

Thanks for quoting the full comment.

The way Davek redacted it you'd think that Moyes had said something else entirely.

Ahh so that is what he said

Good to see the lads changed into the blue kit to receive the 7th place Champions League Trophy today at the Hawthornes.

efc__1279421314_cele.jpg

Its the same as in recent seasons.

7th would be poor given the hope and optimism due to the ability of the squad at the start of the season.

Then due to our constant ability to be so god damn crap then so god damn good in seasons 7th is not a bad finish considering where we could of been.

Yet its n ot a good finish considering where we could of been.

And comparing a very talented squad capable of beating the best teams in the country finishing 7th due to poor performances and poor management to winning the Champions League is just a very poor choice of words.

Davek think you are being a bit unfair in your critism here. Now people know the FULL ARTICLE they can see that moyes knows that 7th is a dissapointing season and he expected you to be higher. However from where we were and the injuries in comparison he is saying it has been a good effort to finish 7th. I suppose when he speaks to the press you would want him to be negative all the time. Gee yeah that would be a great idea

Moyes didn't say what the thread title says he said. Also, since the words 'Moyes says' are inside the speech marks - who are you quoting? Has Davie started speaking in third person like The Rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back