My Arl Fella was ahead of his time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are 2 different armchair fans.

The first kind (and I'll put myself in that bracket) is the one who tries to go to games when possible but can't afford every game, but will aim to watch every game if live on telly, also likes to watch other games just because I like watching football.

The second kind (which is the one I hate) is the one that only watches "Sky 4" matches because that is what sky and BT tell them to watch, but somehow have better knowledge about your team even though they have seen them once when they played "gooners" or "reds" or whatever nonsense they call themselves. They also don't accept criticism of their team even though you've probably seen as many games as they have because that's what's being shoved down our throats.

School and Uni was awful for this, and the area where I live is full of the ********s

Like probably many others on here my dad was a staunch blue,he never missed a match.He seemed to feel that it was his duty to bring as many new blues into the fold as possible.
Where we lived we use to get a lot of out of towners moving into the area and he would see it as his duty to take them to Goodison Park. His pet hate was what he called armchair supporters ,people whose only insite into watching football was on match of the day and then becoming experts,he really despised these people.
Of course armchair supporters in the 60s and 70s were nothing compared to there modern day counterparts who can dissect a football match to the minutest detail and even tell how many yards a player has run during the 90 minutes and how many times they have farted whilst taking a corner.

Youre best of out of it Dad you wouldnt like it here

Agree. The obsession with stats and replays arms any Tom, [Poor language removed] & Harry with 'intelligent' input. I also struggle with a lot of punditry itself, too. Other than Danny Murphy who is good and usually very fair, I rarely see or hear good comments from ex players that do anything to abate thE Xbox FIFA 365 mentality of some fans

been a season ticket holder for over 10 years but not this year...id always rather be at the game. Nothing worse than that guy in the pub wearing his brand new man united shirt struggling to name half their subs. But you get 'that guy' at the ground too, coming out with all level of clichés and no understanding of the rules of the game.

we all have different opinions on the game but i do think it helps if you've played the game and don't expect every man on the pitch to dribble like maradona and defend like bobby more.

The combination of tickets being expensive and hard to get, especially when the bloody online box office plays up - it hates me for some reason - and me having ME, working two jobs and living in Manchester makes it pretty hard to get to matches. When I went the horrible Sunderland game last spring, I felt like crap for days afterwards. I'd love to go the game more than I do, but I don't have as much money, time or energy as I would like.

My dad was a Greenock Morton / AC Milan fan but his brother-in-law is a blue and is also the reason my brother and I are both blues, as he took us both to matches when we were kids. My bro' goes to away matches when he can. I've not seen us play at the Etihad or the Theatre of Nightmares, which is probably a good thing as we always lose when I go the game.

Like probably many others on here my dad was a staunch blue,he never missed a match.He seemed to feel that it was his duty to bring as many new blues into the fold as possible.
Where we lived we use to get a lot of out of towners moving into the area and he would see it as his duty to take them to Goodison Park. His pet hate was what he called armchair supporters ,people whose only insite into watching football was on match of the day and then becoming experts,he really despised these people.
Of course armchair supporters in the 60s and 70s were nothing compared to there modern day counterparts who can dissect a football match to the minutest detail and even tell how many yards a player has run during the 90 minutes and how many times they have farted whilst taking a corner.

Youre best of out of it Dad you wouldnt like it here
It obviously goes without saying that your father was a fine blue and is right for sharing lid.

My mum used to be a kopite. She isn't anymore, thankfully. Which is probably just as well because my stepdad supports Chelsea. Football is a taboo subject there lol

Status
Not open for further replies.