Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
...myth, there's not enough Martinez threads.
I suppose I could have just written it in one of the others, but I thought it might be a bit too long. I've never created a thread before, but then I've never been so disillusioned before either.

Feel free to move it into another thread. Oh wait, you're not a mod.

The biggest myth is that this is the best squad in years. These lot would get destroyed by Moyes' 09 team.

Moyes' team when Arteta was at his peak would walk all over these with RM in charge, but If Moyes had this team he would probably beat his 09 team. They would be well drilled and all know their job.

Here's a myth.

"Form goes out the window in derby games".

Not for us it doesn't.

I am pushed to think of a Derby in my long history of supporting the Blues where we went into it on a run of bad form and actually won the blasted game :mad:

The biggest myth is that this is the best squad in years. These lot would get destroyed by Moyes' 09 team.
That's the squad to team debate. The 95 team would bully this in to submission. But it's a much better squad on paper.
We're much stronger and deeper too than Moyes could afford to be with his financial restrictions just we're a terrible team with this current manager/formation/system/lack of passion.

...myth, there's not enough Martinez threads.
I suppose I could have just written it in one of the others, but I thought it might be a bit too long. I've never created a thread before, but then I've never been so disillusioned before either.

Feel free to move it into another thread. Oh wait, you're not a mod.
And nor are you.

Come on lads, don't do this.

I think people have been getting confused between "best squad of players" and "best team". What I mean by that is I do personally think this squad has a lot of talent in it, but as a team they aren't that good. Some of Moyes' squads were far more limited in ability, but they played far better as a team and had the right direction and tactics from the manager most of the time.

I can't go along with blaming Martinez for everything either. Even the West Ham game which I do mainly put down to his stupidity and ego with the Lennon/Niasse sub still could have been prevented if our defence could deal with crosses. A lot of the poor play stems from Martinez' poor managerial style but responsibility needs to be taken by the players too.

I've been impressed with Barkley's improvement in a lot of areas this season, but what is unforgivable is his lack of desire to get involved at certain points of the game. In fact I think it will prevent him from getting to the very top. A Dele Alli may have even less ability than Barkley, but he has that desire and confidence in himself. Barkley couldn't even be arsed ignoring the manager's instructions to not track back and chase the ball the other night in what you would expect to be one of the biggest games of the season for him on a personal level.

A change in mentality is needed in the players and manager. When the new manager comes in I hope they have the ability to change their tactics based on the opponent and focus the team on being results driven. I want to see some scrappy 1-0 wins like we got under Moyes and when we're playing dross like West Brom at home and have 30+ shots, we finish the game 6-0 ad don't succumb to a 0-1 defeat. All good teams have the ability to grind out 1-0 wins and as we saw against Southampton, we certainly don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.