Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sore point with me this.

I was once told I'd been made 'poster of the year'. I spent quite some time composing a thank you post and, with an understandable sense of pride, posted it. ...then I was told it was all a big joke.

That flattened me for weeks. I dont mind admitting it.
You are the peoples Champion Dave, but you aint ever been King.

Sore point with me this.

I was once told I'd been made 'poster of the year'. I spent quite some time composing a thank you post and, with an understandable sense of pride, posted it. ...then I was told it was all a big joke.

That flattened me for weeks. I dont mind admitting it.
This is amazing.

Love you David.
Don't you ever change ??

He says he always wants people "to watch me play".

How is that a good look?

More substantially he needs to realise how that comment looks to a manager who has consistently stated he's not ready. Because that looks like he's having a go at him in public.

You've become so embroiled with arguing with certain other posters in here that you've become almost disillusioned and attacking one of your own young promising players on a regular basis. Paraphrasing some of your recent posts in here "He cant defend, its well known", (well known by who, you've potentially heard one Lampard interview and exaggerated it) "hes a winger" "one run in a charity match" (to discredit him for doing well rather than encourage), "from a backwater league" (to discredit his past achievements).

Just a few points to consider:

I get the argument for Coleman albeit he is past his sell by date but as follows

1. Charity match against a second string Poland team. Poland have a world cup playoff final this week so all their players will be wanting to be making sure they are starting and playing well (maybe not risking injury on the flip side). Looking at Polands predicted 11 to start, 8 of them started against Scotland. Lewandowski nursing an injury, 1 defender missing and their keeper. All the players on Pattersons flank were first 11 including the centre mids too.

2. Jonjo Kenny starts before him in your opinion you have mentioned. On some occasions you say you think Lampard starts him first which is fair enough. Do you remember where Kenny was last season. Playing in the backwater league for Celtic and involved in a team that failed to win that league for the first time in 10 years. I've asked a number of Celtic fans what they thought about him and I've yet to hear anyone aay anything positive. Hes still only 25 and may have struggled to settle but your argument of experience and defending being better than Patterson is almost nulified when you compare how they both done in Scotland. He has certainly played more EPL games i will give you that but many examples of players coming from other leagues and succeeding. De Bruyne and Salah were ignored at Chelsea as they got it wrong with them, managers get it wrong. Maybe Frank is right and he has full backs as coaches but they dont pick the team, its his team. Many coaches have disagreed with team selections of managers in the past. I dont want to bring negativity towards Kenny, which I have, but your reasoning against one player whilst ignoring the others similar recent location is bizarre considering his spell was not considered a success in the Scottish league by many. You may point to that Patterson was behind Tarvanier whilst Kenny started. From Rangers fans, some say it was barely noticeable Tavernier was injured for how good Pattersons impact was in that long spell he had in their team last season. Taverniers set pieces, assists and goals record is unbelievable looking at it which obviously gives him an extra edge along with being captain. I imagine if patterson was in a celtic shirt last year, or any other position, he would have started.

3. He cant defend, but Everton are playing a back 3 which suits his style even more so but the evidence in a scotland shirt and Rangers in Europe (drew away to Lyon this season, as well as knock outs last year when he was 18/19) suggests he can defend and in a back 4 too. Any person with some reasonable knowledge of modern day football understands that your full back pushing on destabilises the opposition defence and offers space for your other attacking players as well as overlaps etc. A player of Gordon's potential should benefit in the long run from this. Evertons current predicament counteracts a lot of this unfortunately and both would probably be flourishing in a side with better players supporting, especially a central midfield that actually works hard like it should be.

4. The backwater league. Many examples over the years of players crossing the border and succeeding, particularly when the Scottish league had money going back to the Henrik Larsson and earlier eras but even in recent years. Van Dijk is going 7 years back but he spent 2 years in Scotland. Looking at their national side. You can almost name an entire squad in the EPL with one or two aging who previously were in it or playing for good standards sides in Europe or Celtic or Rangers - who have done fairly well in Europe. Both reach europa league finals in last 15 years i think. Rangers are currently in the quarters. Celtic ive been told are notoriously slow starters and bad with late signings (eg John McGinn they lost to Villa, another from the backwater league flourishing here). Even last season, Celtic have provided Eduoard, Ajer and El Younnoussi (not sure how he spells his name) who are all succeeding. They came with good reputations in comparison to Kenny. I know people like to point out Scott Sinclairs success which is true but then there are the likes of Joey Barton and Shane Duffy last season (i think Duffy suffered from being in a team you are left 1 on 1 at the half way line rather than defending a crowded box which is more of his stength, a bit like Maguire at United in some ways). I've gone on long enough about this point but your ignorance is ridiculous and might be more so about you tainting everything to make your view the right one now including discrediting your own player having decent games.

5. Frank Lampard. The manager is always right. Yes Franks knowledge vastly outweighs mine but many football fans watch a lot of football and can have a view. I can tell if a fancy meal is [Poor language removed] or not, i dont need to be an amazing chef. Much like Mourinho and more relevant Tuchel weren't highly successful footballers. The respect of being one clearly helps but doesnt guarantee they are the best managers/leaders. Completely different roles. Obviously their are mutiple transferable traits but Tuchel has proven using different techniques other than the stereotypes work on and off the field (if any of you have read or watched any of his tutorials). Back to Frank, he did okay with Derby but didnt reach their aim of promotion prior to their financial issues. He did a decent job there overall but didnt quite reach the ambition as said. His time at Chelsea was in the end a failure unfortunately with Tuchel taking the exact same team and turning them from unlikely making the top 4 and too 6 or 7 at best to champions league winners and top 4 without a doubt. He made numerous personal and tactical changes that im concerned Frank may not have the capacity for. I really hope I'm wrong and Frank makes me look stupid. Your blind faith in his view is always right has shown to have been wrong on occasion especially in his last EPL job.

Again, this is a forum and you are entitled to your opinion and I feel like a hypocrite calling out yours but your continuing need to scald others disagreeing with yours or finding any excuse to discredit a young promising player we hope has a big future at the club

Apologies for the length of this, Ive been partial to a bit of writing in my day.

In short, think before you post please and give the boy a chance rather than suggest zero minutes for the rest of the season which is insane. you almost sound like you want him to fail even though I'm sure thats not your intention when you say he should go out on loan. From the evidence I've saw, he is too good for the championship and we will end up losing him to a more accommodating team if we dont get this sorted by next season.

I can see why the Scots are on here as he may be pivotal to their world cup hopes considering they clearly dont have the strength on their right side, especially without Patterson, as they do on their left. Clarke possibly made the mistake in the euros sticking with their right back and their keeper who had a nightmare because they pkayed in their qualifiers. Same with Gilmour in fact since he only started against England but he seems to have rectified that now if that was Soctland almost on a 7 game win streak. Hopefully similar happens with Frank and he works it out

Michael Ball calling for Patterson to play

A 1000 word essay from crying arse Ball telling us we have a manager who is making the wrong decisions...despite the very obvious fact that Lampard's preferred starter, Coleman, has pretty much secured 6 crucial points in the last month.

You've become so embroiled with arguing with certain other posters in here that you've become almost disillusioned and attacking one of your own young promising players on a regular basis. Paraphrasing some of your recent posts in here "He cant defend, its well known", (well known by who, you've potentially heard one Lampard interview and exaggerated it) "hes a winger" "one run in a charity match" (to discredit him for doing well rather than encourage), "from a backwater league" (to discredit his past achievements).

I get the argument for Coleman albeit he is past his sell by date but as follows

1. Charity match against a second string Poland team. Poland have a world cup playoff final this week so all their players will be wanting to be making sure they are starting and playing well (maybe not risking injury on the flip side). Looking at Polands predicted 11 to start, 8 of them started against Scotland. Lewandowski nursing an injury, 1 defender missing and their keeper. All the players on Pattersons flank were first 11 including the centre mids too.

2. Jonjo Kenny starts before him in your opinion you have mentioned. On some occasions you say you think Lampard starts him first which is fair enough. Do you remember where Kenny was last season. Playing in the backwater league for Celtic and involved in a team that failed to win that league for the first time in 10 years. I've asked a number of Celtic fans what they thought about him and I've yet to hear anyone aay anything positive. Hes still only 25 and may have struggled to settle but your argument of experience and defending being better than Patterson is almost nulified when you compare how they both done in Scotland. He has certainly played more EPL games i will give you that but many examples of players coming from other leagues and succeeding. De Bruyne and Salah were ignored at Chelsea as they got it wrong with them, managers get it wrong. Maybe Frank is right and he has full backs as coaches but they dont pick the team, its his team. Many coaches have disagreed with team selections of managers in the past. I dont want to bring negativity towards Kenny, which I have, but your reasoning against one player whilst ignoring the others similar recent location is bizarre considering his spell was not considered a success in the Scottish league by many. You may point to that Patterson was behind Tarvanier whilst Kenny started. From Rangers fans, some say it was barely noticeable Tavernier was injured for how good Pattersons impact was in that long spell he had in their team last season. Taverniers set pieces, assists and goals record is unbelievable looking at it which obviously gives him an extra edge along with being captain. I imagine if patterson was in a celtic shirt last year, or any other position, he would have started.

3. He cant defend, but Everton are playing a back 3 which suits his style even more so but the evidence in a scotland shirt and Rangers in Europe (drew away to Lyon this season, as well as knock outs last year when he was 18/19) suggests he can defend and in a back 4 too. Any person with some reasonable knowledge of modern day football understands that your full back pushing on destabilises the opposition defence and offers space for your other attacking players as well as overlaps etc. A player of Gordon's potential should benefit in the long run from this. Evertons current predicament counteracts a lot of this unfortunately and both would probably be flourishing in a side with better players supporting, especially a central midfield that actually works hard like it should be.

4. The backwater league. Many examples over the years of players crossing the border and succeeding, particularly when the Scottish league had money going back to the Henrik Larsson and earlier eras but even in recent years. Van Dijk is going 7 years back but he spent 2 years in Scotland. Looking at their national side. You can almost name an entire squad in the EPL with one or two aging who previously were in it or playing for good standards sides in Europe or Celtic or Rangers - who have done fairly well in Europe. Both reach europa league finals in last 15 years i think. Rangers are currently in the quarters. Celtic ive been told are notoriously slow starters and bad with late signings (eg John McGinn they lost to Villa, another from the backwater league flourishing here). Even last season, Celtic have provided Eduoard, Ajer and El Younnoussi (not sure how he spells his name) who are all succeeding. They came with good reputations in comparison to Kenny. I know people like to point out Scott Sinclairs success which is true but then there are the likes of Joey Barton and Shane Duffy last season (i think Duffy suffered from being in a team you are left 1 on 1 at the half way line rather than defending a crowded box which is more of his stength, a bit like Maguire at United in some ways). I've gone on long enough about this point but your ignorance is ridiculous and might be more so about you tainting everything to make your view the right one now including discrediting your own player having decent games.

5. Frank Lampard. The manager is always right. Yes Franks knowledge vastly outweighs mine but many football fans watch a lot of football and can have a view. I can tell if a fancy meal is [Poor language removed] or not, i dont need to be an amazing chef. Much like Mourinho and more relevant Tuchel weren't highly successful footballers. The respect of being one clearly helps but doesnt guarantee they are the best managers/leaders. Completely different roles. Obviously their are mutiple transferable traits but Tuchel has proven using different techniques other than the stereotypes work on and off the field (if any of you have read or watched any of his tutorials). Back to Frank, he did okay with Derby but didnt reach their aim of promotion prior to their financial issues. He did a decent job there overall but didnt quite reach the ambition as said. His time at Chelsea was in the end a failure unfortunately with Tuchel taking the exact same team and turning them from unlikely making the top 4 and too 6 or 7 at best to champions league winners and top 4 without a doubt. He made numerous personal and tactical changes that im concerned Frank may not have the capacity for. I really hope I'm wrong and Frank makes me look stupid. Your blind faith in his view is always right has shown to have been wrong on occasion especially in his last EPL job.

Again, this is a forum and you are entitled to your opinion and I feel like a hypocrite calling out yours but your continuing need to scald others disagreeing with yours or finding any excuse to discredit a young promising player we hope has a big future at the club

Apologies for the length of this, Ive been partial to a bit of writing in my day.

In short, think before you post please and give the boy a chance rather than suggest zero minutes for the rest of the season which is insane. you almost sound like you want him to fail even though I'm sure thats not your intention when you say he should go out on loan. From the evidence I've saw, he is too good for the championship and we will end up losing him to a more accommodating team if we dont get this sorted by next season.

I can see why the Scots are on here as he may be pivotal to their world cup hopes considering they clearly dont have the strength on their right side, especially without Patterson, as they do on their left. Clarke possibly made the mistake in the euros sticking with their right back and their keeper who had a nightmare because they pkayed in their qualifiers. Same with Gilmour in fact since he only started against England but he seems to have rectified that now if that was Soctland almost on a 7 game win streak. Hopefully similar happens with Frank and he works it out
Welcome to GOT mate. @davek shall review your opening essay and get back to you with corrections and your grade within a week. Been here before?

Got a summary tl;dr

"Again, this is a forum and you are entitled to your opinion and I feel like a hypocrite calling out yours but your continuing need to scald others disagreeing with yours or finding any excuse to discredit a young promising player we hope has a big future at the club".

If you'd looked at this thread more thoroughly you'd have seen that I've identified both the bad and good of Patterson and stated he's a prospect as a defender going forward...but only after he adds that defensive quality to his game. That above us just caricature.

The manager has identified an immaturity to his game and will remain on the bench until he feels he can use him. I think that might be the cause of your discontent and your seeing me as a proxy for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back