Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d have liked to see more of him by now but there’s no need to panic about him being a duff signing. I’m in Glasgow and, although I’ve only seen glimpses for the national team (I’ve no interest in Rangers), what I will say is that the buzz among the coaches and fans who have seen and worked with him is that he is pretty much in the ‘can’t miss’ category, probably just behind Gilmour in terms of how young players are spoken about in recent years. Scotland are short of right backs for sure, but you don’t bluff your way into the national team at his age unless you have something about you.

Maybe the move has come a year early than would’ve been ideal but the way you get these talents is to get in early. I’d also be surprised if the up front fee was as much as publicised- suits Rangers for it to be out there that they’ve haggled a good deal for their best young player.

From what I’ve seen it probably is the case that the defensive side needs work, and it won’t be helping him in training that he’s up against some very good wingers. But he’s clearly no mug in that department, if he was he wouldn’t be a full back at all, and he has the right guys to learn his trade from.

If multiple managers haven’t quite been ready to throw him in I’m sure there’s a reason they want to give him time but if he doesn’t turn into a very good player indeed a lot of good judges of a football player will have been very wrong.

1.) Coleman is not Everton's designated penalty taker.
2.) Even if Coleman were Evertons designated penalty taker, his stats would be lower since Rangers recieved more penalties.
3.) Even if Everton had recieved as many penalties as Rangers and Coleman and Tavernier took as many pens. The standard of goalkeeping on the SPL does not compare to the EPL.
4.) If James Tavernier was actually better than Coleman, then he would have been gone from Rangers long ago.
1) not sure how that contradicts my point. Tavernier is the appointed penalty taker.
2) erm... OK.
3) but surely if Coleman is playing in the EPL best ever league in the world ever, he would be better at penalties, therefore should score more when taking into account the skill upgrade?
4) how so? Are you suggesting that every good player needs to move on? Maybe he likes where he is? Maybe he likes the numbers he's hitting? He was last seasons PFA player of the season in Scotland. I know you look at our league with disdain and derision, but being awarded something like this must be satisfying for a player, regardless of what you think of the standard. There have been plenty of rumours kicking about with him being linked to English teams, but nothing serious.

I hope not. Him playing any game is a problem really, yet alone 3 games in the space of 7 days.
Frank understandably won’t have seen as much of Seamus as we have. I imagine he will give him a fair chance, whatever that is - I’m not sure, but he will inevitably come to the conclusion most of us share. Seamus is finished as a starting premier league player!

1) not sure how that contradicts my point. Tavernier is the appointed penalty taker.
2) erm... OK.
3) but surely if Coleman is playing in the EPL best ever league in the world ever, he would be better at penalties, therefore should score more when taking into account the skill upgrade?
4) how so? Are you suggesting that every good player needs to move on? Maybe he likes where he is? Maybe he likes the numbers he's hitting? He was last seasons PFA player of the season in Scotland. I know you look at our league with disdain and derision, but being awarded something like this must be satisfying for a player, regardless of what you think of the standard. There have been plenty of rumours kicking about with him being linked to English teams, but nothing serious.

1) How does it not dispute your point?
2) So you agree
3) Coleman has Calvert Lewin, Richarlison to contend with. You think Tavernier would take pens over them?
4) I actually love the Scottish Premiership and always argue for it. I'm always posting in the Scottish Football Thread and I attend Celtic games. So no, I don't look down with disdain and derision on the SPL. But you got to put things into perspective.

The reason Tavernier would go is simply for financial reasons. There is unfortunately a thing in football that's called money, and yes, it has ruined it, but also means that as soon an EPL club want an SPL player money overrides everything else and EPL clubs have more money.

I honestly don't think we will properly see him till next season. He might get the odd few minutes depending on how secure our position is.

As much as I’d like to see him I trust the manager to play him when he’s ready.
Out of all the positions on the pitch, we’ve had so many false dawns with young players who’ve been thrown in and disappeared within a year or two.
Garbutt, Bidwell, Browning, Galloway, Pennington etc, we’re all overhyped within 10 games of playing. Never know whether they were ultimately not good enough, or used too much at the wrong time.
Even Godfrey hasn’t lived up to his early expectations, he’s been good but if you looked on here after 10 appearances people had him as the next Rio Ferdinand or John Terry.

As much as I’d like to see him I trust the manager to play him when he’s ready.
Out of all the positions on the pitch, we’ve had so many false dawns with young players who’ve been thrown in and disappeared within a year or two.
Garbutt, Bidwell, Browning, Galloway, Pennington etc, we’re all overhyped within 10 games of playing. Never know whether they were ultimately not good enough, or used too much at the wrong time.
Even Godfrey hasn’t lived up to his early expectations, he’s been good but if you looked on here after 10 appearances people had him as the next Rio Ferdinand or John Terry.
Pennington looked terrible from the off imo, could tell he was never going to make it. Garbutt had a good left foot, not sure what hindered him really.

As for Galloway I always wondered what happened with him, he looked really really good, then he went out on loan and just vanished

If the answer to the relegation question is Patterson we're already down.

Utter tripe believing a sub from up there has anything to offer us in this dog fight. We get balls in the box, and we dont score. That's ALL he has at best.

….Dave offering less support for this young lad than he did for the previous manager, fortunately he’s a very poor judge.

Frank understandably won’t have seen as much of Seamus as we have. I imagine he will give him a fair chance, whatever that is - I’m not sure, but he will inevitably come to the conclusion most of us share. Seamus is finished as a starting premier league player!
From a more midfield position he seemed to me to put in a few good runs, even the odd cross against NU. I don't think he is dogmeat yet. But maybe it is time for more of a jobshare, other subs permitting (which Mina and Gray did not allow on Tuesday).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back