Need Opinion's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, reason I ask is a degree is no guarantee of a job, especially in this economy...so at least you've got a leg up by already being with the company. If it would've been for a job somewhere else I was just going to say don't half-ass it 'cause it looks like, with your schedule and the family thing, something will have to give...and if you're going to sacrifice something (sleep, time with the wife and kids etc) then you gotta' knock it outta' the park, otherwise you're giving up too much for no guarantee; all IMHO of course. You can get a degree at any time in your life, your kids only grow up once. I'm sure you know all this...it's just good to hear it from others sometimes.

Talk to your bird first.

An hours college might not really be an hour if it's miles from where you live, requires a lot of prep or something else comes up. If your out the house a lot now and adding to it it can add a lot of stress.

So, I was faced with the same dilemma a number of years ago, I was married and working full time (inc Saturday and Sunday for overtime) in a factory and signed up to do a course.... It took me five years of part time study and I got an HND in Computing (not a degree but next best thing) . Probably the best thing I ever did, it was hard work but well worth it. I got a job in IT from doing the study and I now earn 4 times what I could be earning If I was doing the same Job I did when I started the course.

Electrical engineering is a very good choice, especially if you're interested in it.... can leads to all kind of well paid work

Some employers (I speak from experience) like a man who has changed his own life, himself by working his way up etc ....

Go for it mate

NORDS!

Use the GI Bill and become a Skydive instructor or something fun like that! Or move to the coast and become a Scuba diver. Or take flying lessons!!!!

NORDS!

Use the GI Bill and become a Skydive instructor or something fun like that! Or move to the coast and become a Scuba diver. Or take flying lessons!!!!

Bro, I hate flying.. I turned down every opportunity to attend Airborne school.

With an EE degree I can move up nicely where I'm at and make good money for my location.

man up, just do it and stop crying about how hard life is

lol you Aussie's are hard as ****ing nails and no mistake.

Talk to your bird first.

An hours college might not really be an hour if it's miles from where you live, requires a lot of prep or something else comes up. If your out the house a lot now and adding to it it can add a lot of stress.

Noted, she supports me as of now, we'll see though.

So, I was faced with the same dilemma a number of years ago, I was married and working full time (inc Saturday and Sunday for overtime) in a factory and signed up to do a course.... It took me five years of part time study and I got an HND in Computing (not a degree but next best thing) . Probably the best thing I ever did, it was hard work but well worth it. I got a job in IT from doing the study and I now earn 4 times what I could be earning If I was doing the same Job I did when I started the course.

Electrical engineering is a very good choice, especially if you're interested in it.... can leads to all kind of well paid work

Some employers (I speak from experience) like a man who has changed his own life, himself by working his way up etc ....

Go for it mate

Thanks for that Sid, sounds like we are/were in very similar situations.

Stop fannying around and get signed up....you could've done a semester or two whilst you've been gauging opinion on here. You reap what you sow.....nothing more nothing less. I did a chemistry degree on OU (6 years study) around 15hrs a week plus assignments and college nights, whilst starting a new 65hrs+ a week role at work and having our second child born and grow up into a toddler.....be a man of steel like me, you know it makes sense :-)

I work full time, 7 days a week to be more specific.

I have benefits available to me that would carry me through a College education. (I've tried College twice and both time had to stop because of something in the "real world")

Now though I feel more stable and willing to have another shot at it.

My work/commute schedule is from 14:00 - 00:00

I'm married and have a daughter.

The degree I want is a 2 year degree in Electrical Engineering:

-The Curriculum has it broke down in 4 semesters with 15, 18, 18, 18 Credit hours respectively per semester.

Is this to much? Is it possible or even worth trying? I am cruising for bruising I know but I'm curious to know how some of you would approach this.

Discuss.

Get it done man. I went to law school at night, worked full time during the day and got it done. Actually found I took the school more seriously because I was paying for it, I didn't have time to screw around and if I was going to put myself through the grinder, better make the best of it. Got the best marks I ever got in school period.

You'll find time to get everything taken care of and after a short bit, you'll be amazed how easy it seems and how much time you were wasting before.

There's nothing to lose. If it proves to be too much, you can quit. Don't kick yourself later for not taking the chance to make it work. Put that GI Bill to go work - it's what its for.

Onions? I've got loads.

Do it Nord, you seem like you know what to do already, if you are looking for some assurance pushing you... GO USA!!!!!!

OORAH!

Do it, but get it straight with the rest of the family, first. They're going to have to understand that this will come first and there will be a hell of a lot of delayed gratification over the next 24 months. If everyone's not all in, you won't get there.

I don't have to tell you that EE is a hellish major, but it'll likely change your life, and for the better at that. The next couple of years are going to be a blur, but I did something similar to get my sh*t together for an IT career about twenty years ago, and it changed my life. For the better, much for the better. The only way to deal with what you'll be facing over the rest of your working life is to be ready with skills in a STEM field, and be ready to be flexible. Best of luck, nord. It's not a thing to do lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back