New Everton Stadium Discussion

Agree on both points; I do think this will get over the line though.
I have little belief that this will get over the line quickly. There will be a lot of obstacles to come, as the club say themselves.

The cost is at £500M now and delays will see that rise more. The club (and by that I mean the major shareowners besides Moshiri - who couldn't give a monkeys about cost because he isn't paying for it and wont be around long) have to be rational and calculate what is best for the club's existence. A 139 year old institution cant be lumbered with well over half a billion debt in the economic climate we're likely to face in the next 25 years.

The Liver Building stands at over 90m, by comparison the RS's new stand is 55m, we won't have anything even remotely close to that in height, so our stadium will not be the cause if UNESCO decide to take away the WHS tag.

It is Peel and Anderson's vision for the rest of the site that is the kicker. Doubtful they can make it stack up financially without a good number of blocks taller than whatever stadium our relentlessly self promotional architect is cooking up. And make no mistake, even if this stadium project can be funded, a spade won't hit the ground until Peel have an agreed and funded wider plan that they are irreversibly committed to. Even we aren't stupid enough to build a 7 day a week stadium complex a mile away from anything else approaching civilisation on a wing and a prayer that peel might pull their finger out of their arse at some indeterminate point in the future and build some complimentary facilities.

In short, the corpy is going to have to call UNESCO'S bluff no matter how tall our plan.

I have little belief that this will get over the line quickly. There will be a lot of obstacles to come, as the club say themselves.

The cost is at £500M now and delays will see that rise more. The club (and by that I mean the major shareowners besides Moshiri - who couldn't give a monkeys about cost because he isn't paying for it and wont be around long) have to be rational and calculate what is best for the club's existence. A 139 year old institution cant be lumbered with well over half a billion debt in the economic climate we're likely to face in the next 25 years.

What should the club do then?

It will also be a mile away for heavens sake and, and dwarfed by the old ware houses around there one of which is the Titanic hotel. Are those old ware houses listed monuments??
Grade 2 listed mate.
Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse stands at 38 mtrs tall.
The developer Harcourt are turning it into 534 residential units plus adding Penthouse apartments of the roof of it obviously taking the structure to 40 /45 mtrs.
I'm not sure what height the Bramley Moore stadium would be , be I would guess it would be "sympathetic" within the area.

I'm also deeply cynical that planning is anything close to sorted. There will no doubt be some pre-app discussions going on with local planners but LCC really aren't the main obstacle here.

This is getting called in by government without any doubt whatsoever.

What should the club do then?
It's too late for that in terms of the BMD scheme. We should have looked for private and public partners to share the cost of the stadium, just like we had in place on all other schemes. This is way too big for us on our own...as said though, Moshiri is not arsed one bit about that, but the rest of the club;s ownership should and we all should too.

It is Peel and Anderson's vision for the rest of the site that is the kicker. Doubtful they can make it stack up financially without a good number of blocks taller than whatever stadium our relentlessly self promotional architect is cooking up. And make no mistake, even if this stadium project can be funded, a spade won't hit the ground until Peel have an agreed and funded wider plan that they are irreversibly committed to. Even we aren't stupid enough to build a 7 day a week stadium complex a mile away from anything else approaching civilisation on a wing and a prayer that peel might pull their finger out of their arse at some indeterminate point in the future and build some complimentary facilities.

In short, the corpy is going to have to call UNESCO'S bluff no matter how tall our plan.
Take a look around the area fella.
"A mile from anything aproaching civilisation" Really ? The whole area is being bought up and redeveloped .
Everton dont need to wait for Peel to do anything ,they have an agreed contract on the land subject to planning.
The only land now available is absolute prime front of water land which is ear marked for the Skyscrapers that Unesco are probably worried out.

I'm also deeply cynical that planning is anything close to sorted. There will no doubt be some pre-app discussions going on with local planners but LCC really aren't the main obstacle here.

It's absolutely massive as a development. Of course it'll get called in. And more time means more expense.

It's too late for Peel to back out of it. What we do is our business. Even if they were height restricted there would still be developments joining BM to town and the 10 streets is also a link from just behind the docks. It's not perfect if Peel can't do what they ultimately want to do, as that is a game changer for the city.

Let's hope the council see sense as if someone is prepared and can guarantee to build these towers within x amount of years it is worth far more than a certificate.

Getting called in by government, Really ?
Why would that be ?

Last edited:

The government will love it mate, the regeneration of a run down area, money into the local economy, jobs etc.