New Everton Stadium Discussion

Liverpool is, in my experience, the most Irish city in the world outside of Ireland. As an Irishman, I have never really felt that I was in England when visiting Liverpool. That's no slight on England - just an observation on how "at home" I felt. To be fair, that would not be hard. I was there in 2006 the day England played Portugal in the World Cup quarter-final. Walking through a quiet part of the city, somebody approached me and asked me if I knew the score. I said it was "0-0" and that Rooney had been sent off. His response was utter delight. I must admit, I chuckled too. Just like being in Limerick...
That's absolutely my observation, too - and I say that as someone who isn't Irish, or even a scouser (though my dad was - and I spent a lot of my childhood visiting my grandma there).

The character of the people of Liverpool is so different to the rest of England. There really is a greater warmth, less of the standoffish, keeping ourselves to ourselves that most of the rest of the country is known for.

Of the places I've been in this world, the people of Liverpool remind me most of the people of Dublin.

That's absolutely my observation, too - and I say that as someone who isn't Irish, or even a scouser (though my dad was - and I spent a lot of my childhood visiting my grandma there).

The character of the people of Liverpool is so different to the rest of England. There really is a greater warmth, less of the standoffish, keeping ourselves to ourselves that most of the rest of the country is known for.

Of the places I've been in this world, the people of Liverpool remind me most of the people of Dublin.
There's loads of Irish blood in the veins of Liverpudlians.

The most vertiginous I've felt in a stadium was the old Yankee Stadium, in the top tier behind the home plate.

View attachment 171147

It felt like you could leap onto the pitch field, and I remember seeing a maniac go for a catch and falling about 50 feet down the steps.
Very true! Always a bit of a show up there as well ?.
The upper deck at Shea Stadium was extremely steep as well.
It benefited me once when attending a game. It was Irish Heritage celebration night which is always a fun night. We were in the upper deck and a fella in a Pantera shirt a couple rows behind us starts telling us to “Sit the eff down” and a variety of slurs used for homosexuals. It was incessant.
I stopped paying attention when I see him right behind me about to throw a haymaker at my friend. He was off balance from charging over the seats so I pushed him and he fell down about three or four rows.
Then he had to have the walk of shame up the steep stairs while being serenaded by chants of “***hole, ***hole”
Didn’t hear anything else out of him the rest of the game.
Game ends and we drive back to Long Island (over an hour drive). As my friend is getting out of the car, keys fall out of his pocket. I tell him and he smiles and says “Don’t worry they’re not mine.” In the course of events, the guy’s keys fell out of his shorts and my friend pocketed them.
A great memory ?

Very true! Always a bit of a show up there as well ?.
The upper deck at Shea Stadium was extremely steep as well.
It benefited me once when attending a game. It was Irish Heritage celebration night which is always a fun night. We were in the upper deck and a fella in a Pantera shirt a couple rows behind us starts telling us to “Sit the eff down” and a variety of slurs used for homosexuals. It was incessant.
I stopped paying attention when I see him right behind me about to throw a haymaker at my friend. He was off balance from charging over the seats so I pushed him and he fell down about three or four rows.
Then he had to have the walk of shame up the steep stairs while being serenaded by chants of “***hole, ***hole”
Didn’t hear anything else out of him the rest of the game.
Game ends and we drive back to Long Island (over an hour drive). As my friend is getting out of the car, keys fall out of his pocket. I tell him and he smiles and says “Don’t worry they’re not mine.” In the course of events, the guy’s keys fell out of his shorts and my friend pocketed them.
A great memory ?
Ha, brilliant! Love the car keys kicker.

The dock wall is a continuous wall that exists outside the association with any one dock.

It's not that hard to understand this tbf.
Fair enough my son, although to avoid confusion we should probably just call it.............
Pink-Floyd-Capitol.jpg

It was around 20-25 years ago and I can still see the look on my friend’s face when he said that ?.
Just curious, have you been to the new Yankees Stadium? Just doesn’t have the aura/mystique of the old one imo
I haven’t, no. Last time I was in New York we were going to go to a game but ran out of time.

Sadly, I think this is unavoidable with new grounds. It doesn’t matter how good they are, it’s always starting from zero when it comes to the intangible magic you get in old grounds.

Bramley Moore ought to have that magic back in about 50 years or so!

I haven’t, no. Last time I was in New York we were going to go to a game but ran out of time.

Sadly, I think this is unavoidable with new grounds. It doesn’t matter how good they are, it’s always starting from zero when it comes to the intangible magic you get in old grounds.

Bramley Moore ought to have that magic back in about 50 years or so!
True.
I have to say though two of my favourite stadiums (Camden Yards in Baltimore and the Pittsburgh baseball stadium, forget the corporate name) are modern ones.

They just did a brilliant job with the stadium design and using the surrounding areas. For Camden Yards, the brickwork and the old warehouse blend perfectly.
For the Pittsburgh stadium, you get a great view of the skyline and the river.

I think BMD is going to be special

True.
I have to say though two of my favourite stadiums (Camden Yards in Baltimore and the Pittsburgh baseball stadium, forget the corporate name) are modern ones.

They just did a brilliant job with the stadium design and using the surrounding areas. For Camden Yards, the brickwork and the old warehouse blend perfectly.
For the Pittsburgh stadium, you get a great view of the skyline and the river.

I think BMD is going to be special
Oh I think it is, too. But there are certain things about Goodison - certain things that any rational mind would hate (like insanely bad views, ludicrously cramped concourses etc.) - that are an intrinsic part of what makes it so special. Like the things that irritate you about your friends, but you wouldn’t change.

Bramley Moore will have all of those characterful imperfections ironed out - and rightly so - but it will affect character.

It was around 20-25 years ago and I can still see the look on my friend’s face when he said that ?.
Just curious, have you been to the new Yankees Stadium? Just doesn’t have the aura/mystique of the old one imo
When I was leaving the RAF my Flight Sergeant was a proper tit for my last few months.

Solved that by putting a set of locking wheel nuts on his car one night. I often wonder how long it was before he got a puncture.

Bramley Moore will have all of those characterful imperfections ironed out - and rightly so - but it will affect character.
Davek is doing a public service preparing his ever-evolving list of imperfections in advance for us all to latch onto before opening and thus accelerate the bedding in of the ‘magic’ by a few decades.

When I was leaving the RAF my Flight Sergeant was a proper tit for my last few months.

Solved that by putting a set of locking wheel nuts on his car one night. I often wonder how long it was before he got a puncture.
Was it a roadster of some description, by any chance? Used to always be MGs when I was a kid in the 80s. I lived near an RAF base, and it was all any of the RAF guys seemed to drive!