New Everton Stadium Discussion

Fan-plaza-trees.JPG

Very nice..
That doesn't even look like a footy stadium and I mean that in a 100% positive way. It is simply jaw dropping up close. It will draw people to it 365 days a year. It will be on the tourist list, no doubt.

Loved the post. Hardly any footage exists from that game. Even then the telly hated us. By the way, Scott's bakery was on Dunning's Bridge Road in Netherton. I lived quite near it and remember the gorgeous smell of freshly baked bread if you were close by. Anyone else remember their vans? They were maroon with those funny concertina doors at the back. Black and white telly, going to school in a duffle coat on a foggy morning, Blackler's Christmas grotto etc, etc, etc. Happy days.
I remember the vans well. They did retail going round the streets like the old library vans. I had a Saturday job at Scott’s, which had been sold to Sunblest by then, ‘wholesale van lad’. Putting hundreds of ‘large sliced’ into supermarkets. It paid well - £4.90 for a day in 1975/6 but I was up at 4am for an hour walk there as no buses, no car in the family and I lived about 4 miles away. Luxury!!

One of Scott’s vans run our dog over, the dog used to chase the van, didn’t kill him but his jaw was then offset and one of his bottom fangs stuck out over his top lip making him look like he was constantly snarling (the dog not the van driver).

Happy days indeed. ;)

Loved the post. Hardly any footage exists from that game. Even then the telly hated us. By the way, Scott's bakery was on Dunning's Bridge Road in Netherton. I lived quite near it and remember the gorgeous smell of freshly baked bread if you were close by. Anyone else remember their vans? They were maroon with those funny concertina doors at the back. Black and white telly, going to school in a duffle coat on a foggy morning, Blackler's Christmas grotto etc, etc, etc. Happy days.
Been thinking about the part of your post about the TV cameras at Goodison. I think the club and Catterick in particular banned them for a while because Catterick thought we were getting too much exposure. I remember the cameras were there at Sheffield Wednesday in the next game on the Saturday after we clinched the league against West Brom the previous Wednesday as the Wednesday players gave a Guard of Honour and applause as our players came onto the pitch.

I found this extract, below. Not sure how it will come through but here goes and apologies this isn't exactly the right thread for this sort of thing.

Was in the city today enjoying a pre match meal with the family and some friends who had travelled up before going over to GP. We all were talking about how great the city centre is now and it’s only going to continue to attract tourists, it’s better than Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds. I really think the new ground opens up so many opportunities being in the city and next to the Mersey and you do wonder whether the other lot staying at Anfield may be a poor long term decision.

Was in the city today enjoying a pre match meal with the family and some friends who had travelled up before going over to GP. We all were talking about how great the city centre is now and it’s only going to continue to attract tourists, it’s better than Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds. I really think the new ground opens up so many opportunities being in the city and next to the Mersey and you do wonder whether the other lot staying at Anfield may be a poor long term decision.
They have made the emotional decision of staying put which will be popular with a large portion of the fan base and I tip my hat to certain extent. However, they have limited themselves. Further expansions will be very difficult. I think it might hit home in 5 years when United open their 90k Wembley of the north

They have made the emotional decision of staying put which will be popular with a large portion of the fan base and I tip my hat to certain extent. However, they have limited themselves. Further expansions will be very difficult. I think it might hit home in 5 years when United open their 90k Wembley of the north

No way Utd are going to build a ‘Wembley of the north’ they will end up patching up old Trafford.

As for the rs ground you can’t polish a turd

No way Utd are going to build a ‘Wembley of the north’ they will end up patching up old Trafford.

As for the rs ground you can’t polish a turd
Can't see utd doing that either myself. Doesn't really make much sense considering tram link from the west of the area was pretty much built around OT Inc cricket and centre etc... Analfield couldn't give two Fs about not our problem

I think not moving (even into Stanley Park) will, ultimately, be the worst decision in that crowd's history. Let's hope so.