New Everton Stadium Discussion

Beyond the givens about hoping we survive as a football club long enough to see it completed, I do hope we’re able to open the stadium in a less slapstick way than the Co-op Live Arena in Manchester.

Also, nothing against the Co-op, but it’s hardly the stellar global brand sponsor you’d expect for Europe’s biggest arena.

Naming rights aren’t what they used to be.

Beyond the givens about hoping we survive as a football club long enough to see it completed, I do hope we’re able to open the stadium in a less slapstick way than the Co-op Live Arena in Manchester.
All said, not rushing to open BMD mid-season next year is probably a very wise decision.

I know we had our issues, but at least we delayed the opening by a few months to fix them. This Co-op Live thing is a massive, massive shambles....people literally travelling to shows told to turn around and go home, or worse shutting the place down when people are already there... 😵

All said, not rushing to open BMD mid-season next year is probably a very wise decision.

I know we had our issues, but at least we delayed the opening by a few months to fix them. This Co-op Live thing is a massive, massive shambles....people literally travelling to shows told to turn around and go home, or worse shutting the place down when people are already there... 😵

Typical result of chains of project management BS, with nobody brave enough to face facts. In these situations, communication is more important than delivery, which is why it’s good that we seem to have gone with the most pessimistic opening of the new ground.

Yeah, there are arguments for and against a mid-season move but the Co-op Live thing emphasises the need for a good long lead-in so I think the club’s decision is correct. There will inevitably be issues to solve and you certainly don’t want to find them on the day of a premier league game.

I’ve always thought moving in the close season allows for a proper goodbye and a proper hello, but logistically it’s also clear why it makes sense.

Was hoping to take my dad to see it, as he’s only seen pictures, but he died last night. He told how he lost his shoe in the old main stand and had to walk home with only one shoe. I’m sorry I won’t be able to take him now. UTFT
So very sorry to hear that. Thoughts with you and your family.

My dad died a few years ago, I think about him not seeing this new ground all the time.

I turned my sadness about that towards making sure my kids got to experience Goodison - and I drag them to the new ground every time we're in Liverpool - because I want them to experience the transition.

Us and our dads saw great times at Goodison, but it's time for the next generation to make the step away and carry their legacy on at the new ground.

All the best. 💙