New Everton Stadium Discussion

For me, it's more a reminder of 30+years of managed decline, the criminal negligence, poor decision-making of the Kenwright years and the total lack of investment. As such, it's a bit of an unfair criticism to compare with many new stadia (and BMD). It's easy to forget what ALL of those other stadia were like pre-taylor report and their modernisation (they were almost all proper dumps). It's perhaps also easy to forget that Goodison Park was comfortably the finest stadium in the UK for the vast majority of its history. So much so, that it walked the choice for World cup semi-final venue in 1966, and then required easily the least investment to be fully compliant with the Taylor report and still yield approx 40k capacity in the 90s. The problem was, the club did the bare minimum!

I'm a bit of a stadium anorak (if you hadn't guessed) and more than get the keen excitement and anticipation for BMD with all its obvious benefits and attractions and am down there regularly to see the progress..... but I really don't feel the need to be overly critical or scathing of a grand old lady that was left to fall behind. Warts and all, it still wipes the floor with them all in terms of character and history.... and the fact that it has witnessed easily the most top flight games in the country (2nd only to Celtic Park in the world) bares testament to its legendary talismanic status and quality. GP is far more than just any old tired neglected stadium. The site of the world's first purpose-built football stadium is the spiritual home of true footballing giants, and a reminder of when we truly were great, and proved it by building the finest stadium in the land.

That's before you take away all the sentiment of course. This year, my daughters want to sit in all parts of the ground that they've never had the chance to before. So I got us tickets for the upper Gwladys St yesterday. I didn't really think about it beforehand, but 40yrs ago I had a season tkt with my brother up there for a few seasons. The seats yesterday were very close to the ones where we roared ourselves hoarse every other week, watching the great 80s team sweep all aside. My brother is no longer with us, but when I sat down and saw the unerringly familiar view from that vantage point, for a moment it really felt like I had him next to me, one last time. I've had similar experiences many times when walking up various streets on the way to the ground, when a poignant memory is jogged by a familiar glimpse from the past, and that feeling of walking in the footsteps of my dad, grandad and great grandad is never lost on me. Those feelings may never appear on any cost/benefit analysis spread sheet, but somethings you cannot buy nor ever replicate! So, can we desist with some of the needless Goodison-bashing, at least while some of us have still got a few important old friends/relations that we might want to sit next to, one last time.

Lovely post Tom, but it’s been on its last legs for so long it’s time to move on.

Brendan Galoway, who we got from MK Dons around the same time Spurs signed Dele (the good Dele as opposed to the crock that we ended up with), scored for Sheffield Wednesday today. Downside for him is that he is playing for Plymouth who got spanked 4-0. His goal made it 2-0 early in the 2nd half.

Brendan Galoway, who we got from MK Dons around the same time Spurs signed Dele (the good Dele as opposed to the crock that we ended up with), scored for Sheffield Wednesday today. Downside for him is that he is playing for Plymouth who got spanked 4-0. His goal made it 2-0 early in the 2nd half.

….bringing the thread back on topic, i’m sure that will be the subject of much discussion with the LOR lads tomorrow.

I liked Brendan Galloway, sad it didn't work out for him here.

Back to the stadium though, the fence does look a bit lightweight. I would like to see it covered with climbing plants rather than banners, no idea whether that's better for wind mitigation, but would look good IMHO. Plenty of room for banners and ads on the plaza.

Back to the stadium though, the fence does look a bit lightweight. I would like to see it covered with climbing plants rather than banners, no idea whether that's better for wind mitigation, but would look good IMHO. Plenty of room for banners and ads on the plaza.
I have just realised that it might not look so good in winter. I've had a few today so cut me some slack.

Hope the stadium is equipped for the visually impaired supporter (as I may be in need of some when attending, my post was meant for the ex players thread)

1723408036329.png

Conifers, whole row of them, it'll look great all year round.

I'm sure there must be some evergreens that will do the job, but I am not a green-fingered type. My missus has me on standby to cut next door's creepers over our fence, but must admit I like them.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.