New Everton Stadium Discussion

I know the new place gets a bit of stick because its capacity is shy about 7,000 seats.

However, given what we have seen so far, what ground in the Prem would you swap it with?

I keep thinking about the pints at Spurs with the fancy filling from the bottom. But that probably says more about me than the ground.

Does anyone remember when we had the bottom filled pints for a while? Not sure what happened but assume it was with Chang.

I was more impressed with the away end at Chelsea with Singha coming out on conveyer belts.

Yep, they pulled the plug on the basis of rising costs, flat out refused to commit more money to the scheme.

Merseytravel spent something like £71m on the project. I think a joint venture of GrantRail and Laing O'Rourke had even been appointed for Line 1 and all the track had been purchased which was eventually sold for a massive loss.

Sadiq Khan pulled the plug and gave the money towards Crossrail.

Even if was about 0.1% of the final cost of that over inflated time waste.

Sadiq Khan pulled the plug and gave the money towards Crossrail.

Even if was about 0.1% of the final cost of that over inflated time waste.
That was when they were looking to revive the scheme in 2009 off the back of Destination Kirkby.

Original plug was pulled circa 2005 when the government withdrew funding.

Tbf, the rug was pulled on multiple tram proposals. They were not a one size fits all solution and had been a bit of a mixed bag up to that point. We were the biggest design and construction contractors for most of the UK's rail/tram systems and were the main bidder for the Merseytram job.

We ended up pulling out because the outline design that we were working to was flawed. Can't remember the name of the company who had produced it, but believe they had little or no experience in tram system design. Coincidentally, I think LOR were favourites to take it on after us, but either didn't have the experience or were cut short by the Government decision.

That said, I think the "Lime Line" trackless tram proposals could be a far more viable and even better solution for Bramley Moore.
I worked on the appraisal of a number of schemes - Nottingham (marginal in my view, but had private sector funding so got the nod); South Hampshire (Portsmouth-Gosport-Fareham) had one of the strongest cases, but got kicked out, even after they funded £26m for bus priority for the A3, which was part of the same integrated project! Also worked on 4 major transit schemes in London - only one of which in a very diluted form was built.

Leeds had too much local opposition - including from the academic community. Sheffield's tram, with the cost over-runs, was probably the death knell for a lot of schemes - including Merseytravel's. Also I don't think there was unified agreement amongst the Merseyside authorities on alignments etc. Merseytravel wanted it to go where it could act as a catalyst, whereas other agencies wanted a very centre-based tourist-focused service.

I may have worked for that company that had "little or no experience in tram system design". If it was them, they had a fair bit, but also had done stadium redevelopment / access work. They would never have done detailed design / architectural etc. though.

Access / egress to/from stadia is vital (and I know you've forgotten more about this than I'll ever know) - Goodison has a half decent public transport service, but from memory we have (had?) one of the highest rates of walk-ups amongst top flight teams. I hope with the space at BMD they offer a compelling pre/post match F&B offer both to help stagger arrival/dispersal, but also to maximise secondary revenue. I believe Brighton's away end is lit in the colours of the visiting team in the concourse, and they even get local real ale on draft - which they sell. (Dunno if they still do that now they're top flight, but they certainly used to).

Although I haven't worked in UK for nigh on 20 years, I did used to go to a lot of games, and when I lived in London / SE, a lot of aways. One of the worst grounds for access in my view was our National Stadium - Wembley. Although not been since it was rebuilt, I can't imagine things have improved massively.