New Everton Stadium Discussion

Same with Saudi's etc.

They view human life as a commodity and their investment in sports is way to wash away their appalling human rights. At least it works on mongs like Geordies.
To be fair, a lot of construction projects in Saudi have an aspiration for better H&S. To the point where local sub-contractors are told to allow for the right equipment. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the local subbies are run by absolute scum - but as long as the Government clients employ PMCMs from overseas, we'll see that start to change. I could say a lot more, but I have no desire to visit the Consulate in Istanbul.

….that is a particularly poor choice of words, especially at this sad time.
I don't think it was meant in poor taste, rather a summation, albeit in general terms, of the view on things. The Middle East and Saudi in particular is a shifting sandcastle, the results of which will only emerge in 20-30 years from now. I'll be checked out by then, or certainly no longer commenting on fan sites....

But the reality is this. Some of these countries are trying to make a change.
Some are trying harder than others.
The pace of change is surreal - and it's being driven by the younger population.
The leadership is [Poor language removed] scared of protest - like any autocracy.
Slavery was only abolished in Saudi in 1962. Some would argue it only took effect much later.
Like it or not, the UK has a long-established trading relationship with these people - and the number of UK jobs dependent on this trade (in the UK, not in GCC) is in the hundreds of thousands.
Although I didn't work for HM Government in my time there, I was close to them, and the mantra "change comes from within" was never more true.

20230819_121043.jpg

Just picked flowers up.
Gonna go drop them off now 😔

(Apologies for the writing, I'm a bit of a mess here)

I see Kloppo and the whole Liverpool squad has been to BMD to pay their respects. Classy gesture by them in all fairness, but they're usually really good with these things anyway. Thanks Reds.
Was a couple of kopites there just now, left flowers, as have a lot of others, both in tears. There's also a nice floral tribute from the club.
Humanity generally wins in times like this, good people pull together to lighten the load. There's still a lot of good people in this world thankfully.