New Everton Stadium Discussion

After visiting Goodison for probably the last time, I got to see everything I love and hate about the place.
The good is purely sentimental and was outweighed by the bad.

Making sure the kids didn't need the toilet before we went in.
Not considering using the concessions as the are too low a quality and high a price.
The flow of fans is horrible when the game is done, stairways are narrow and steep.
Seats themselves go from ok to downright awful. Sat in shaved seats for the first time. They've literally cut about 1-2cm off the edge of the seat to fit more in. Then there's the wooden monstrosities in the bullets.
Also allowing cars to drive next to the stadium before the game is madness.
This is before we talk about posts, roofs, and upper tiers blocking views for way too high a percentage of the ground.
It was fantastic to be back but we really need to move on.

After visiting Goodison for probably the last time, I got to see everything I love and hate about the place.

Not considering using the concessions as the are too low a quality and high a price.
The flow of fans is horrible when the game is done, stairways are narrow and steep.
Seats themselves go from ok to downright awful. Sat in shaved seats for the first time. They've literally cut about 1-2cm off the edge of the seat to fit more in. Then there's the wooden monstrosities in the bullets.
This is before we talk about posts, roofs, and upper tiers blocking views for way too high a percentage of the ground.

That's what happens when you've literally spent the least on your stadium of all 92 clubs in the entire league.

I'd disagree here.

One of the most important elements of what has made Goodison what it is, is the intimacy: the closeness to the pitch; how the sound carries; the atmosphere.

A lot of this stems from elements that also produce many of the negatives, as you mentioned. I will genuinely miss Goodison for this, as I doubt it'll be replicated.

But you're right that these also have many negatives that can and do really impact on the wider experience, hence why we've rightly decided to move on to BMD.

Am I going to miss Goodison? Yes. Am I going to miss the LG toilets, the terrible queues for a pint where you have to leave your seat at 38 mins? No.

I'd disagree here.

One of the most important elements of what has made Goodison what it is, is the intimacy: the closeness to the pitch; how the sound carries; the atmosphere.

A lot of this stems from elements that also produce many of the negatives, as you mentioned. I will genuinely miss Goodison for this, as I doubt it'll be replicated.

But you're right that these also have many negatives that can and do really impact on the wider experience, hence why we've rightly decided to move on to BMD.

Am I going to miss Goodison? Yes. Am I going to miss the LG toilets, the terrible queues for a pint where you have to leave your seat at 38 mins? No.
Ideally you could gut each stand from behind and keep the old lady the same toward the pitch, but that wouldn't fix the terrible line of sight issues from too many seats.
Hoping the steepness and tightness of BMD can help hold the atmosphere. The fans are mad too, which helps a lot.
I honestly believe the new place could be a bear pit like Goodison. I think Meis did a good job.

Ideally you could gut each stand from behind and keep the old lady the same toward the pitch, but that wouldn't fix the terrible line of sight issues from too many seats.
Hoping the steepness and tightness of BMD can help hold the atmosphere. The fans are mad too, which helps a lot.
I honestly believe the new place could be a bear pit like Goodison. I think Meis did a good job.
I sincerely hope so. The overall facilities are going to be great in general, but compared to Goodison it'll be phenomenal.

Imagine a night game where we can make this beaut glow blue 💙

20240411_090357.jpg

I'd disagree here.

good reply, but that intimacy was only good years ago when we had blue blooded players at the club, those days are sadly gone

good reply, but that intimacy was only good years ago when we had blue blooded players at the club, those days are sadly gone
I partly agree. Goodison can still be a cauldron and drag the players over the line when needed, however recently it’s been less so.

I think that’s partly down to the overall feeling of the fans too: the last few seasons have took their toll on us all, including the relationship.

Perfect summation of the state of the place. To be generous to it, it’s a mid-nineteen hundreds football stadium somehow still being used in 2024 because of criminally negligent owners.

Only thing you'll be getting better at BMD is a better seat and a quicker piss.😄