New Everton Stadium Discussion

I thought the steps are being made deeper to allow 2:1 ratio

The tread depths in the areas allocated to safe standing are only 750mm (2 x 350mm steps plus 50mm for rail seat). Under the existing green guide rules this only allows for approx 1.3:1 ratio in new builds. (Possibly upto 1.5:1 in conversions of existing stands of 750mm treads). To get to 2:1 you would need much deeper treads. In Germany some of these safe standing areas have treads in excess of 900mm for this reason. So the best that can be hoped for from the safestanding sections as currently proposed is something like 2-3k uplift.

Even so such a ratio will in all probability take many years of 1:1 standing before it is sanctioned.

The issue with many stadia, certainly older ones, is that their maximum capacity is their seated capacity. That capacity is based around the provision of facilities, not the space to sit/stand. They could have an e tra 40k seats, but could never have anybody sit in them.

BMD is designed to have facilities for more people that can be seated. Allowing greater standing capacity than seating. Effectively a stand that is as packed as LGS used to be but with loads of space to eat drink and whatever.

Having that capability will be the only way that any increase will be allowed and we are in the best position to do it in the country.

Liverpool would have to completely rebuild the Kop for them to get higher than 1:1 ratios. The current treads there are so narrow that it could actually result in reducing capacity.

Absolutely correct. They will have to reduce the capacity by at least 1/8th. Also, their concourse is still as it was, there can be no increase in capacity regardless.

Absolutely correct. They will have to reduce the capacity by at least 1/8th. Also, their concourse is still as it was, there can be no increase in capacity regardless.

The stadia regs now are much more stringent than when these stadiums were built, so even if all seats were removed and it was standing only, there would be no capacity increase in the older stadiums. Vomitory sizes are restrictive, and facility provision is too small.

Why would you even care about that? Our stadium size should be based on our anticipated crowd size and not a daft willy waving competition about whose is bigger
From my point of view, having a bigger stadium does give us scope for growth interms of attendance and financially, personally I think we`d fill 60k. If ours is 52k with Utd 75k, Spurs 62k, Arsenal 60k, West Ham 60k, City 55k, The RS 53k with some of them set to expand we are at a loss in matchday revenue with the London clubs also charging more for tickets

With the safe standing any increase at BMD will also affect those other clubs, its relative so we still have a massive gap between us and those listed.

I get that people are happy with 52 or 62 standing but I think we should be maximising every opportunity to close that gap and increase income which will increase what we can pay through FFP...

Does that make sense?

Why would you even care about that? Our stadium size should be based on our anticipated crowd size and not a daft willy waving competition about whose is bigger

You're missing the point.

Some people think we're going to hit 60,000 with safe standing, so that will put us on a par with the other big clubs.. But if we get more with safe standing then so can other clubs, IE Tottenham. It's like we're always playing catch up.

Instead we should have made it the baseline. It's not likely to change now but that's always been my feelings the capacity is too low. Too limited. Too cautious. Not ambitious enough. Or rather, the ambitions are not at that level of the so called big clubs.

The tread depths in the areas allocated to safe standing are only 750mm (2 x 350mm steps plus 50mm for rail seat). Under the existing green guide rules this only allows for approx 1.3:1 ratio in new builds. (Possibly upto 1.5:1 in conversions of existing stands of 750mm treads). To get to 2:1 you would need much deeper treads. In Germany some of these safe standing areas have treads in excess of 900mm for this reason. So the best that can be hoped for from the safestanding sections as currently proposed is something like 2-3k uplift.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but here goes. Is there anything from stopping us from taking out the concrete steps at some point in the future and putting new concrete in with bigger treads? Not an ideal way of fixing things, to be sure, but is it doable?

The issue with many stadia, certainly older ones, is that their maximum capacity is their seated capacity. That capacity is based around the provision of facilities, not the space to sit/stand. They could have an e tra 40k seats, but could never have anybody sit in them.

BMD is designed to have facilities for more people that can be seated. Allowing greater standing capacity than seating. Effectively a stand that is as packed as LGS used to be but with loads of space to eat drink and whatever.

Having that capability will be the only way that any increase will be allowed and we are in the best position to do it in the country.
I fully understand this, but having the capability does not mean we will be able to use it until legislation is changed.
I do not believe the authorities will ever permit greater than1:1 in this country and even if they do it will only be after a considerable time is allowed for 1:1 to prove its safety.