New Everton Stadium

I was one of those who didn't like the early leaked images and didn't really fancy the idea of a brick facade. However the evolution of the design with the broader base, the Leitch detailing and the breaking up of the brickwork into pilasters does make it iconic for me.

The term "iconic" has been broadened out by the media over many years to include anything of note, whether that be architectural, musical, literary or in any other field of endeavour. I think the Meis design stands out as an atypical example of a modern stadium which respects the heritage of its surroundings.

RE Usmanovs naming rights deal - say we announce a 5 year deal at £20 million a year - will we only start getting paid it from when we are actually playing in the BMD stadium or could they in essence start paying the club it now?

Essentially would be very crafty being paid naming rights for a stadium that hasnt yet even been built.

@catcherintherye
He’s already paid £30m to have the exclusive rights to the naming rights. Make of that what you will.

RE Usmanovs naming rights deal - say we announce a 5 year deal at £20 million a year - will we only start getting paid it from when we are actually playing in the BMD stadium or could they in essence start paying the club it now?

Essentially would be very crafty being paid naming rights for a stadium that hasnt yet even been built.

@catcherintherye

Not necessarily. I mean you could make a commercial case that they wanted it to be known as the USM arena (for example) as early as possible and no confusion with Bramley Moore dock.

If the club had any sense, once planning permission is submitted, they would announce the deal, and start advertising everywhere in the city. Just flooding the city with it, at Lime street station, take out advertising at t George Hall etc.

I mean more broadly a stadium is a perfect avenue to help with FFP too, as you can write off all sorts of costs associated with the stadium as well, which I wouldn't be surprised if we started to do. Essentially stating we are only losing money because of the stadium, which I believe is allowed.

To answer your question though, of course you can get naming rights for the stadium before it's built, and you could argue it's financially prudent to do so.

Not necessarily. I mean you could make a commercial case that they wanted it to be known as the USM arena (for example) as early as possible and no confusion with Bramley Moore dock.

If the club had any sense, once planning permission is submitted, they would announce the deal, and start advertising everywhere in the city. Just flooding the city with it, at Lime street station, take out advertising at t George Hall etc.

I mean more broadly a stadium is a perfect avenue to help with FFP too, as you can write off all sorts of costs associated with the stadium as well, which I wouldn't be surprised if we started to do. Essentially stating we are only losing money because of the stadium, which I believe is allowed.

To answer your question though, of course you can get naming rights for the stadium before it's built, and you could argue it's financially prudent to do so.

Hopefully in that case we spend a bit more this season knowing next year we'll have an additional £15-20 million or so hitting the accounts from the naming rights deal.

I imagine thats why we deferred player wages as I assume its more a creative accounting way of limiting outgoings on the books for this year in order to give us more flexibility in the market.

Technically, from a quantum point of view can't it be both.
Its pie in the sky, until the (proof of the) pudding is eaten.
Yet too many cooks can spoil the broth.
But a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

He who dares wins

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Once bitten, twice shy is the maxim I live by where Everton stadiums are concerned.

Technically, from a quantum point of view can't it be both.
Its pie in the sky, until the (proof of the) pudding is eaten.
Yet too many cooks can spoil the broth.
But a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

He who dares wins

Honi soit qui mal y pense
A Wet Bird Never Flies At Night!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back