New Everton Stadium

As someone who is 6’5” and 20 stone neither I, nor the 3 rows behind me, will be too sad to get a decent view from a decent seat.

It’s never been the same since we were forced to go all seater. Goodison just wasn’t designed for it.

It’s archaic. I loved it when I was younger because when the crowd got going it was exciting but now it’s just a reminder how much the club has regressed. Fresh start and a new Everton when we move hopefully.🙏

They have started to install the boundary fence at the entrance to the stadium north side, taken from Craigstv1 YouTube channel.
1000011025.jpg

They have started to install the boundary fence at the entrance to the stadium north side, taken from Craigstv1 YouTube channel. View attachment 268450
Looks awfully close to the actual stadium. I know that side of the ground is built so people can walk under but still. I would have thought they would have done a deal with United Utilities to purchase another few metres of land all the way down or just on match days.

I’m just waiting for the media to join in with them Dave about how great it is etc.

Tbh, there's a bit of a mixed reaction towards the Anfield redevelopment on stadium forums. Some think it's a bit of a combination of a "function over form" and a "work in progress" thing. Function over form: well, it's certainly not too pretty with those awkwardly-assembled, ill-fitting rooflines and poorly executed and (criminally under-utilised) corner sections, but they argue that they got to 61k after years of just 45k, with a massively increased corporate capacity, that has really catapulted their matchday income..... and all for around £200m. Which will pay for itself in just a few seasons, without any adverse effects on the club's finances. Work in progress: rightly or wrongly, many kopites (and some independent commentators) believe that this is just the first 2 phases of a 3 or 4 phase masterplan, that will eventually take them over 70k (although the club themselves recently stated otherwise), at which point ugly functionality might well outstrip any perceived (or real) benefits of beautiful external/roof architecture. Let's face it, if they ever realise 2 similar sized side-stands and a monster Kop too, then brutalist architecture aside, it will really elevate the place in to a real powerhouse in terms of atmosphere and matchday income. Yes, all a big "if" with transport and land acquisition issues. Plus these 2 new stands would probably require complete new builds (with short-term capacity reductions etc), not simple extensions, which so far is outside FSG's usual MO.

Longer term I think they will eventually go bigger (at Anfield or elsewhere), and this is just a (very affordable) stepping stone for them.

Looks awfully close to the actual stadium. I know that side of the ground is built so people can walk under but still. I would have thought they would have done a deal with United Utilities to purchase another few metres of land all the way down or just on match days.
Not the highest barrier either. Noting certain clubs fans behaviour in Paris a few years ago plus the Euro’s in Wembley, that looks a little risky from a security perspective for access by ticketless scrotes. Not aware what the security is like in the UU site itself, but it would need extra measures on match days to avoid this.

Even a yard or so and built a proper dock wall.

Not the highest barrier either. Noting certain clubs fans behaviour in Paris a few years ago plus the Euro’s in Wembley, that looks a little risky from a security perspective for access by ticketless scrotes. Not aware what the security is like in the UU site itself, but it would need extra measures on match days to avoid this.
The UU site must be secure too though right? If so that fence is only segregating two secured spaces. Ie someone would have to ‘break in’ to UU site before you are confronted with that fence.

They have started to install the boundary fence at the entrance to the stadium north side, taken from Craigstv1 YouTube channel. View attachment 268450

Shame we can't put up something that shields the UU site better, but I guess it would likely be susceptible to being blown down in high winds?

Surely an actual fence/wall would be a better option than having a view of an unsightly Waste plant?

The UU site must be secure too though right? If so that fence is only segregating two secured spaces. Ie someone would have to ‘break in’ to UU site before you are confronted with that fence.
You’d assume UU will likely need some level of extra security on match days which the club may need to even cover the costs for. Assuming tickets are to be checked to allow entry through the perimeter wall of BMD first and then scanned at the turnstiles in the stadium itself?

There is still a risk of idiots scaling that fence to get into the fan zone between the wall and the turnstiles. May need to razor wire atop those fences yet.

Stopped off to see the new stadium yesterday for the first time since the (any) barrel cladding had been put on. Looks beyond special, my brother in law who I took to the game also thought it was absolutely amazing despite not being an Everton fan and could easily see the potential it gives us.

I haven't posted any pictures of it this time as I've decided they don't do it any justice. It is something you just have to see up close personally to fully appreciate the scale and majesty.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back