November 5th 1989

According to Sharpy in his book the likes of Cottee and Nevin were not hurting enough about that defeat in the 1989 FA Cup Final.

He reckons that the newer players were just happy enough with having the day out at Wembley.
Always saw it as the final we could never win - in hindsight I think its should have been cancelled after Hillsborough as a mark of respect.

That’s rich coming from him the damage his mates done to us which sharp endorsed
The old guard and the newer players were quite clearly at odds with each other under Colin. He just wasn't able to handle the players in the way that Howard did

As for Sharpy being a Kenwright bum sniffer who attacked the fans who protested against Kenwright, well that sure does substantially reduce his Everton legend status.

So we were going into that game against Villa at Villa Park top of the league. We get destroyed 6-2 in a game that was broadcast on live television.

Our title challenge then collapses from that point onwards. I think that was the result that confirmed that the glory days were over.

It was the result that set us into a tailspin that we still haven't recovered from imo.
What I do recall was in the build up to the game the broadcaster had done a piece on Neville Southall saying Villa would find it hard to get past him.
Not one of Nev's best days.

And if ever a man was happy enough with a day out at Wembley it was Mr Everton himself, Blue Bill Chairman-for-Life Kenwright.

A day out at Wembley - the very definition of "good times". Winning? Merely optional.
How about that Fiorentina game at Goodison. The Kenwright regimes Bayern Munich moment except we didn't go through to the next round.

We still had a good time though. We showed the plucky little Everton fighting spirit that's the main thing.🙄

I feel so sorry for the people who don't even have memories of 1995. I call those poor souls Kenwright's children. Plucky little Everton is all they've ever known.

How about that Fiorentina game at Goodison. The Kenwright regimes Bayern Munich moment except we didn't go through to the next round.

We still had a good time though. We showed the plucky little Everton spirit that's the main thing.🙄

I feel so sorry for the people who don't even have memories of 1995. I call those poor souls Kenwright's children. Plucky little Everton is all they've ever known.
I never bought into the myth of that Fiorentina game and that Moyes side. After Kendall in the 80s, they were small beer. And, the crucial difference, of course, was they found a way to lose.

What I do recall was in the build up to the game the broadcaster had done a piece on Neville Southall saying Villa would find it hard to get past him.
Not one of Nev's best days.

tbf to him, 3 of the goals he makes great attempts to save them. It says on the commentary that we had a makeshift backline as Snodin, Ratcliffe, Watson and Pointon were all injured for this game.