Old Everton Pictures

NWSTMCL231113TOFFEEGIRL-1.jpg
Groovy trainers

I’m not convinced that this was actually the goal. I seem to remember Joe beating Clemence to the ball. But I’m probably wrong. My wife tells me I normally am
I’m not convinced that this was actually the goal. I seem to remember Joe beating Clemence to the ball. But I’m probably wrong. My wife tells me I normally am

You are correct in this case

Attachments

• 000938 21.03.70 Royle v Liverpool (A) Joe Royle soars to beat Ray Clemence and Ron Yeats to a...webp
    000938 21.03.70 Royle v Liverpool (A) Joe Royle soars to beat Ray Clemence and Ron Yeats to a...webp
    187.5 KB · Views: 51
On the subject of that era, Joey, there's a great chapter on Joe Mercer in Graham Kelly's book,Terrace Heroes: The Life and Times of the 1930s Professional Footballer (2005)

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Terrace_Heroes.html?id=ed71ymndrmoC
Got a hefty book for Father's Day from my son - Faith of our families the total history of our club by known comments by people players etc about our club from day one....
Joe Mercer, and Dixie state how Theo Kelly a nasty piece of work treated them and Tommy G Jones.....
Joe was going to resign so he sadly went to Arsenal for £9000 - Dixie wanted to stay to help Tommy Lawton out , and claimed Kellly wanted to get rid of him - a disgusting situation, and why you can understand why the great TG Jones was treated so badly ......

Theo Kelly (top left) with the Everton team in 1947 - Joe Mercer reason for leaving-

“It was a terrible blow for me to go, because I was so crazy about Everton. Mind you I wasn’t easy to handle. I was Captain of England at the time and had been a Sgt Major, running my own show. Theo Kelly and I had one or two ups and downs. The funny thing was, he wanted me to play centre-half – Me, a wing-half who used to go diving into the action, when the club had T G Jones, the best centre-half of all in my opinion! Things became so bad between Theo and me that one day I went to see the directors at the Exchange Hotel, where they held Board Meetings, and said ‘Transfer me, or I turn it in’. The directors said they wanted to me to stay but I was determined and Arsenal paid £9,000 for me.”
Kelly-in-hat-and-EFC-Team-1947.jpg

Got a hefty book for Father's Day from my son - Faith of our families the total history of our club by known comments by people players etc about our club from day one....
Joe Mercer, and Dixie state how Theo Kelly a nasty piece of work treated them and Tommy G Jones.....
Joe was going to resign so he sadly went to Arsenal for £9000 - Dixie wanted to stay to help Tommy Lawton out , and claimed Kellly wanted to get rid of him - a disgusting situation, and why you can understand why the great TG Jones was treated so badly ......

The rank mismanagement of the club in the period following the 1938-9 championship winning season was, and remains, staggering. Kelly emerges as a martinet more concerned with control than success.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back