Old Everton Pictures

West Ham 1 Everton 1 in April 1980 at Villa Park. More action from the FA Cup Semi Final -

View attachment 107625

Cant dispute that West Ham were a good side Devonshire , Brooking come to mind , Devonshire tormented us in both games
, but still believe we would have had it in the bag if Kidd wasn't sent off in the 1st game when we were also without Big Bob , who equalized in the replay only for that Jammy Lampard mistimed header to sneak past Hodge !
I went to both games the replay was the one of the biggest disappoinments of my life as having lived a great deal of my life in South Africa it was my chance of maybe getting to an FA Cup Final :(

Cant dispute that West Ham were a good side Devonshire , Brooking come to mind , Devonshire tormented us in both games
, but still believe we would have had it in the bag if Kidd wasn't sent off in the 1st game when we were also without Big Bob , who equalized in the replay only for that Jammy Lampard mistimed header to sneak past Hodge !
I went to both games the replay was the one of the biggest disappoinments of my life as having lived a great deal of my life in South Africa it was my chance of maybe getting to an FA Cup Final :(

Big Bob had an unfortunate habit of always being injured for the big games, remember he was out of that Clive Thomas semi at Maine Road too, missed quite a few derbies in his career with us if I recall correctly

Big sickener at Elland Road. Was a long slow drive back home. Was in the home end with the rest of the Blues. West ham fans massed up to our left the length of the field and I recall a couple of Blues who I can only imagine got tickets amongst that lot and had made their way towards us in the hope they could get in with us.
Next thing these two were getting absolutely pummelled by the boot boys. The Everton fans down by the corner could see what was happening and tried in vain to get the police to stop the beating. Eventually the two poor sods got hauled out and stretchered away.
Have hated West Ham ever since.
Btw Latch did play in the first game coming on as sub. If he would have been a bit sharper he might have nipped one in the final minute.

28th January 1964 Jimmy Gabriel latches on to a Roy Vernon through ball and beats Paul Madeley before ramming it past Gary Sprake in the F A Cup Fourth Round Replay in a 2-0 win previous round we scraped a draw with a late retaken pen after Alex Scott missed - Roy Vernon made no mistake to force this replay Leeds were in the old Division 1....
View attachment 107532
Jimmy played a stormer at centre forward that night, unplayable.

Hard to believe, but true Terry Curran who was in form kept Trevor Stephen out of the semi-final win v Southampton - Inchy grabbing a late winner at Highbury -
View attachment 107635
I think Tricky Trevor played as well Joey - Sheedy was injured. Curran was great for us when he was on loan, not so great when he signed permanently. Fantastic player on his day, though: I remember when he was with Derby in 77/8 and he was virtually the only winger I can remember giving Pejic a chasing.

Bally was fantastic in that game. I'm lucky to have a recording of the full 90 minutes and for me he was England's best player, closely followed by Bobby Moore. Tommy Wright also had an excellent game. Rivelino, who played in a central role that day, was man of the match: now he is one Brazilian I'd love to have seen in an Everton shirt. And then there's Pele, Gerson, Jairzinho, Tostao, Carlos Alberto etc.
Check the run up to their goal will you Mick, I'm sure Bally coped and elbow to the face, lost the ball, over it went to Rivalino who scored
Edit; or wasn it Jairzinho?

Last edited:
He was bossing the cup game Vs wolves until, he went into a 50-50 tackle with Morrissey...not realising there was no such thing with Johnny.
I recently seen that tackle on the old match video thread Peter Knowles was causing us all sorts of problems then Moggsy with that tackle cut him in half - Moggsy then held his stomach & played injured - no subs in those days either Moggsy got up - not even a booking Peter Knowles limped through the rest of the game.... it would be a straight red in today's game....

I recently seen that tackle on the old match video thread Peter Knowles was causing us all sorts of problems then Moggsy with that tackle cut him in half - Moggsy then held his stomach & played injured - no subs in those days either Moggsy got up - not even a booking Peter Knowles limped through the rest of the game.... it would be a straight red in today's game....
Sadly, this is so.
Nobody surrounded the Reff. nobody demanded he was sent off, not even Knowles.
In the grand scheme of things Morrissey wasn't really dirty, like snidey shighthouse giles dirty - just hard as nails

Sadly, this is so.
Nobody surrounded the Reff. nobody demanded he was sent off, not even Knowles.
In the grand scheme of things Morrissey wasn't really dirty, like snidey shighthouse giles dirty - just hard as nails
Just spent ages looking for it on YouTube now unavailable ? As it was originally on MOTD 1-1 Bally a late pen - we beat them in the replay ....1967?
Moggsy's foul on Peter Knowles must have been x rated lol

1605010709418.png

Just spent ages looking for it on YouTube now unavailable ? As it was originally on MOTD 1-1 Bally a late pen - we beat them in the replay ....1967?
Moggsy's foul on Peter Knowles must have been x rated lol
iirc, it was what was and still is called a 50-50, but like st vvd sometimes somebody gets hurt worse