Old Everton Pictures

A young Labby -

1608726711231.png

No disgrace losing to the Tangerines at that time. We were top dogs back then, doing well in the league and in umpteen FA Cup finals. Culminating in the history making epic win in 1953. The wizardry of Sir Stan, and his clean white shorts, Stan Mortensen and Jackie Mudies goals, plus legendary keeper George Farm, not many could live with us back in the 1950s.

Sorry. no pictures (other than the ones I can clearly see in my mind). Spotted that Ian Holloway had resigned as Grimsby Town manager. I remember when Grimsby Town were in the old first division. They played Everton at Goodison in season 1947/48 and I was in the boys' pen. I remember two things about the game. 1. The Grimsby goalie, named Tweedie, wore a red woollen jumper. Had never seen a goalie in red before. 2. The Grimsby consolation goal was the best goal of the game.
I think we were leading 3 - 0 when a poor clearance fell to the Grimsby player Blenkinsopp. He took one touch then hit it on the volley from all of 35 yards. It went in the net like a rocket and Ted Sagar never moved. There was a stunned silence in the ground that lasted for several seconds then the loudest round of applause I think I ever heard.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.