Old Everton Pictures

Labby & The Catt -

1620603929002.webp

John McCormick, Tony Taylor and Gerry Queen for Palace, not as captioned. Looks like from the 3-1 Everton win in August 69. Mel Blyth put Palace ahead in front of the suspiciously exact attendance of 50,700. It was Palace’s first ever away game in the top division.
Mate, All Evertons declared attendances were suspicious back then. Some weeks in the 70s, rhe team was struggling and the announced figure at the end was the only reason you got to smile on the day

Mate, All Evertons declared attendances were suspicious back then. Some weeks in the 70s, rhe team was struggling and the announced figure at the end was the only reason you got to smile on the day
Indeed. Same at most clubs I suspect. I was chatting with two ex Palace regulars from the 70’s once who told me that there was an arrangement where certain players had their wages topped up on a Monday with some of the cash from the turnstiles after a Saturday home game. They called it “The Monday Dole Out”.

Indeed. Same at most clubs I suspect. I was chatting with two ex Palace regulars from the 70’s once who told me that there was an arrangement where certain players had their wages topped up on a Monday with some of the cash from the turnstiles after a Saturday home game. They called it “The Monday Dole Out”.
When Clough was at Derby they had that much cash sloshing about with 2 home games on the run and tickets for a replay. They had apprentices stash the coin in small sacks and notes in black bin bags.
Clough took 2 bin bags home as an unofficial bonus, somebody pulled him on it and he said...in his own style...if it wasn't for me you'd all be 'kin skint.
Peter Taylor had to go around to his house the next day and get them back.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back