Old Everton Pictures

1966-Local lads watching the World Cup Team train, Goodison Park -

1656067760255.png

Keith Newton IMO was a bit past his sell by date, a class left back who lasted two seasons & was transferred back to Burnley - who we signed him from -
View attachment 171018

….was he not more of a RB, Joey?

i didn’t know Newton was the first ever England player to be substituted, coming off to be replaced by Tommy Wright during the 1970 World Cup. I suppose that makes Tommy Wright the first ever England substitute.

Another first for the Toffees.

My heroes debut in 1966 away at Blackpool where everything went wrong beaten the Catterick shuffle & a certain Alan Ball for the Blackpool ran rings around us - @TangerineToffee - it all came good as we won the FA CUP that year & won the Transfer of Bally -

View attachment 171158
The Everton keeper made a huge mistake in that game. Wasn't Westy, another top Tangerine pilfered by the Toffees, some other bloke. Maybe Barnett. He went to pick up a gentle pass back and his butter fingers let it in the net. Was icy that day but not that icy

It was at the Kop end where I was and I'll never forget the sight of young Bally running back to the centre circle for the restart laughing his head off. Still as clear today as it was then.

The man who would soon be a Tangerine World Cup king ?

Keith Newton IMO was a bit past his sell by date, a class left back who lasted two seasons & was transferred back to Burnley - who we signed him from -
View attachment 171018
I think we signed him from Blackburn, Joe. It was a weird set up with the two Newtons with us...Henry was really a half back but was played full back. Keith played right back for England but often left back for us. Keith didnt really get going with us...then again Henry was no great shakes either.

The Everton keeper made a huge mistake in that game. Wasn't Westy, another top Tangerine pilfered by the Toffees, some other bloke. Maybe Barnett. He went to pick up a gentle pass back and his butter fingers let it in the net. Was icy that day but not that icy

It was at the Kop end where I was and I'll never forget the sight of young Bally running back to the centre circle for the restart laughing his head off. Still as clear today as it was then.

The man who would soon be a Tangerine World Cup king ?
Then seen senses & joined us instead of Leeds ;)