Old Everton Pictures

He looked old fashioned to my teenager eyes then...but he was a very nippy winger for them I recall. There where a few others round that time though still playing who actually were old..e.g. Tony Book, George Eastham !

Tony Book looked old as a teenager :)

I remember a mate of mine who's a rabid and proper Man City fan telling me a story about a game at Analfield, where City won the toss and made the RS attack the Kop in the first half and Steve Heighway absolutely tore Book a new rear end inside the first five minutes of the game. A couple of minutes later, Heighway did it again, leaving Book floundering and with the Kopites loving it.
My mate still recalls to this day that the third time Heighway revved up to tear past Tony Book, the City defender had obviously had enough of being embarrassed and hit the racing Heighway with a full broadside tackle that saw the RS winger end up about three rows back in the Kemlyn Road... funnily enough, he never tried to beat Book again that day lollollollollollollollol

CwSnS35WEAQtBHs.jpg

What time did this game KO if my eyes are not deceiving me it says 7.10 on the clock for a 3 o'clock KO it seems late to still be doing a lap of honor or am I wrong about the KO time.

Tony Book looked old as a teenager :)

I remember a mate of mine who's a rabid and proper Man City fan telling me a story about a game at Analfield, where City won the toss and made the RS attack the Kop in the first half and Steve Heighway absolutely tore Book a new rear end inside the first five minutes of the game. A couple of minutes later, Heighway did it again, leaving Book floundering and with the Kopites loving it.
My mate still recalls to this day that the third time Heighway revved up to tear past Tony Book, the City defender had obviously had enough of being embarrassed and hit the racing Heighway with a full broadside tackle that saw the RS winger end up about three rows back in the Kemlyn Road... funnily enough, he never tried to beat Book again that day lollollollollollollollol

:D:D He held his place though didnt he...guile and experience over speed. That was a good City side too... Corrigan, Donachie, Doyle, Summerbee, Bell and the diving bell Franny Lee etc.

What time did this game KO if my eyes are not deceiving me it says 7.10 on the clock for a 3 o'clock KO it seems late to still be doing a lap of honor or am I wrong about the KO time.
I think it was bank holiday Monday but do not actually remember a later kick off. Celebrated result in the crown on Lime St for a while before getting train back to London so not sure if that clock time was right?

I had a nightmare trip to get to that game - buses, trains, and taxi, and an even more convoluted trip back to my family holiday in Wales... and if memory is clear, Alan Woodward scored the only goal and ruined my day :(
The same player broke my heart when we played them away in the Fa cup 1n 1970 1-0 up in the first half he was a very fast winger Woodward , and they had another winger who escapes me they ranu us ragged got knocked out 2-1 - good news was we concentrated on the league and won it;)
Can anyone name shelf unts other winger other than Woodward in 1970?

The same player broke my heart when we played them away in the Fa cup 1n 1970 1-0 up in the first half he was a very fast winger Woodward , and they had another winger who escapes me they ranu us ragged got knocked out 2-1 - good news was we concentrated on the league and won it;)
Can anyone name shelf unts other winger other than Woodward in 1970?
just remembered was it Tony Currie??????????????

I think it was bank holiday Monday but do not actually remember a later kick off. Celebrated result in the crown on Lime St for a while before getting train back to London so not sure if that clock time was right?
We won it on the bank holiday Monday I think allez mate v qpr,three o clock kick off,but we didn't get the trophy til the following home game a midweek fixture v West ham!!

We won it on the bank holiday Monday I think allez mate v qpr,three o clock kick off,but we didn't get the trophy til the following home game a midweek fixture v West ham!!
Spot on mate, that makes perfect sense. I would not have been able to get to the midweek back then but could remember (sort of!!!) celebrations the evening of the QPR game prior to getting the London train.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back