Old Everton Pictures

The GV & Tony Kay -

1694185425219.webp

My best pal was a Sheff Wed fan and he was also a massive Tony Kay fan. His dad had a few bob and had managed to get one of Kay’s no 6 Wednesday shirts for him. When Kay left Sheff Wed and joined Everton my pal became an Everton fan overnight. He later gave me the shirt and a few years later I managed to lose it after a training session I’d worn it in ! The vertical blue and white stripes were sewn together from individual strips.
If ever a player missed his way it was Tony Kay, he’d have had the Nobby Stiles role in the World Cup winning England team. He was as hard as Nobby but he was also a better footballer.

My best pal was a Sheff Wed fan and he was also a massive Tony Kay fan. His dad had a few bob and had managed to get one of Kay’s no 6 Wednesday shirts for him. When Kay left Sheff Wed and joined Everton my pal became an Everton fan overnight. He later gave me the shirt and a few years later I managed to lose it after a training session I’d worn it in ! The vertical blue and white stripes were sewn together from individual strips.
If ever a player missed his way it was Tony Kay, he’d have had the Nobby Stiles role in the World Cup winning England team. He was as hard as Nobby but he was also a better footballer.
Brian Labone - stated he was a great half back hard as nails - & if Bally had joined us as Kay had recommended him to Catterick - bally would have loved him alongside him as the lynch pin in midfield - but the holy trinity would have been missed ...

Labby also stated about Kay he was good, but he had to be big-headed about it & Brian Harris was unlucky to be elbowed out - My late father & older brother raved about him wait till you see him what a player - I was all set for the game & news came through he was banned for life - two players I missed were him & Bobby Collins as my older brother is 7 years older than me & the gates at Goodison in those days were massive -
Yes I agree Nobby Styles would never have seen an England shirt as Kay would have kept him out he was that good ....

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back