Old Everton Pictures

Goodison Road - new stand part built 1971 -

1694425330570.webp

1694425351288.webp

Everton 1967-68:

Back Row: (Trainer) Joe Royle, Brian Labone, Gordon West, Geoff Burnett, John Hurst,

Roger Kenyon, Harry Catterick (Manager).

Middle Row: Ray Wilson, Tommy Wright, Alan Ball, Alex Young, Jimmy Husband,

Howard Kendall, Johnny Morrissey.

Front Row: Alan Whittle, Colin Harvey

I used to be really envious of Howard Kendall. We were roughly the same age and we both played the same position, slight difference in skill levels though. I went watching Everton in a pre-season friendly at Rochdale in about 1970. Howard came over to take a throw in right in front of me. I noticed a bald patch emerging at the back of his head. I wasn’t quite as jealous after that.

Incidentally a guy I played in the same team as had the game of his life that night and gave Labone and Hurst a really torrid time. Harry Catterick must have like what he saw and he signed him a week or two later. Steve Mellodew, ring any bells ? He was a stalwart of the Central League team but never made the first team.
Yes we signed him from Rochdale attacking midfielder went to Aldershot front us then back to Rochdale

Howard Kendall the manager picked himself for the very first time 39 years ago today when Everton drew 2-2 with Notts County at Meadow Lane. It was his first appearance for the club since February 1974 –Mike Lyons also played in both games -

1694425913870.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back