Old Everton Pictures

Or the ethos of the time was; in cup games - any clash and the home team changed as they had the facilities to do so at hand...especially if your other kit was back in Milan or where ever.

Or Catterick had a feeling in his water the night before.

Now apply Occam's razor - which seems more likely.

You've led me on an Interesting snipe hunt mate but I'm done.
I think I may have the answer at last - I spoke to my older brother last night, 7 years my senior & I am old - -

1 - The Inter Milan game - back then it was for the home team to see a big team like them in their kit - hence we swapped out of the normal politenesses i.e. no fuss - & as you pointed out we played in our kit away & they swapped kits as we played in our home kit away at Inter Milan.

2 - The FA CUP - My older brother seems to remember, as he went to nearly every round of the FA Cup clubs 1960s had a phase of tossing a coin mid-week to see who had the choice of kit - & Catterick must have been crap at winning the toss of the coin - He remembers City at home in 1966 in the FA CUP we played in blue our original home kit ....

Thats the only logical reason that makes sense as you know 1966 final we won the toss to play in our blue kit & Sheffield Wednesday played in white ... as we won the toss ;)

My older brother was at that final in the Wednesday end of supporters - he was OK in his blue & white scarf .... aged 17 years old ...I told him about our debate & why we played in that white kit etc & those were his conclusions - he has watched the blues from 1959...

I think I may have the answer at last - I spoke to my older brother last night, 7 years my senior & I am old - -
...an I'm older than both of you and - as they say - recollections may vary on that subject
1 - The Inter Milan game - back then it was for the home team to see a big team like them in their kit - hence we swapped out of the normal politenesses i.e. no fuss - & as you pointed out we played in our kit away & they swapped kits as we played in our home kit away at Inter Milan.

2 - The FA CUP - My older brother seems to remember, as he went to nearly every round of the FA Cup clubs 1960s had a phase of tossing a coin mid-week to see who had the choice of kit - & Catterick must have been crap at winning the toss of the coin - He remembers City at home in 1966 in the FA CUP we played in blue our original home kit ....

Thats the only logical reason that makes sense
apart from there being a rule across all grades of football rule that in the event of a clash the home team changesas you know 1966 final we won the toss to play in our blue kit & Sheffield Wednesday played in white ... as we won the toss ;)
My older brother was at that final in the Wednesday end of supporters - he was OK in his blue & white scarf .... aged 17 years old ...I told him about our debate & why we played in that white kit etc & those were his conclusions - he has watched the blues from 1959...

...an I'm older than both of you and - as they say - recollections may vary on that subject

apart from there being a rule across all grades of football rule that in the event of a clash the home team changesas you know 1966 final we won the toss to play in our blue kit & Sheffield Wednesday played in white ... as we won the toss ;)
I told him the photos I had found & that was his answer - as I stated you can google the subject & draw a blank ....

We'll agree to differ then
No, I thought he was more on your side than my original explanation - it was just a whim that they tossed a coin in the FA Cup in the mid 1960s - Coventry who we beat that season in the FA Cup at home we played in white -in the league away to us wore striped shirts etc as did Man City etc - we never played in a white kit in the league games did we?

It had to be that system, of tossing a coin in FA Cup home games for us- My older brother remembered ? Plus, it looked like the Catt lost a few tosses :D

Away maybe we just changed because of the colour clash as you stated ....

My brother pointed out the semi-final We played in Blue United were in Red

Last edited:
Bally reels away after scoring v Manchester United - for @Eggs & co

1699098995873.png