Old Everton Pictures

Bally -

1717671686501.webp

I’m not talking about when the stand was knocked down - I’m asking about when the brick wall was added to the lower terrace which cut off the terracing under the upper tier
It was the beginning of the 1979-80 season. My dad used to like going in there (or occasionally the stand above) so I'd often watch the match from there as a young blue. Depending on how big the away support was, we'd either have the larger section of terrace or the smaller one towards Bullens Road (there was that metal barrier about a third of the way along). It was a great view if you could stand on the very last barrier and lean against that brick wall! They ended up blocking that off though. Obviously for the derby, Man Utd or a big FA cup tie, the whole end would be given over. After a couple of seasons or so of this they just ended up giving the whole end to away fans, it was a bit of a sad sight seeing one end of the ground virtually deserted when the opposition only had a few hundred or so fans rattling around in there. It's a shame that they didn't have the foresight to redevelop it properly at the time rather than the toytown stand they ended up putting up many years later.

Last edited:

It was the beginning of the 1979-80 season. My dad used to like going in there (or occasionally the stand above) so I'd often watch the match from there as a young blue. Depending on how big the away support was, we'd either have the larger section of terrace or the smaller one towards Bullens Road (there was that metal barrier about a third of the way along). It was a great view if you could stand on the very last barrier and lean against that brick wall! They ended up blocking that off though. Obviously for the derby, Man Utd or a big FA cup tie, the whole end would be given over. After a couple of seasons or so of this they just ended up giving the whole end to away fans, it was a bit of a sad sight seeing one end of the ground virtually deserted when the opposition only had a few hundred or so fans rattling around in there. It's a shame that they didn't have the foresight to redevelop it properly at the time rather than the toytown stand they ended up putting up many years later.
Although I recall an artist impression in the programme of a double decker stand, which joined the bullens.
Early 80s.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back