Old Everton Pictures

19 March 1966, 62,337 crammed into Goodison Park for a goalless Merseyside derby. Others found a vantage point atop St Luke’s church. Firefighters/police tried to entice them down.Post-match, they descended with a ticking-off. A wedding at the church went ahead, as planned! -

1719142706870.webp

Labone

Labone stated that Kay was a great half back of the position back then - but he knew it, & it made him a big head in the team - he was pushing for captaincy too - plus if not banned would have made the England position his - {no Nobby Styles} - He also stated Bally would have loved to play with him in an Everton side because of his hard tackling game - but Labby stated there would have maybe no Holy Trinity of pure football if Tony had stayed in the team - I was just about to be allowed to go & see Tony Kay my late father & my older brother were raving about him - & bang he was banned for life .....
He could play a bit...and - given Harrys dislike of players who were approaching 30 and/or have a tongue in their heads.
Kendall would've been his natural replacement
The GV believed he was innocent of the match fixing?
the actual charge was 'Conspiracy to Defraud'

Defraud exactly who of just what is beyond me

Tony maintained all he was guilty of was having somebody put a bet on the match (that he was MotM in)
A bit naive? greedy? probably

Definitely hard done by IMO though (eh Mr Toney...and others)

He could play a bit...and - given Harrys dislike of players who were approaching 30 and/or have a tongue in their heads.
Kendall would've been his natural replacement

the actual charge was 'Conspiracy to Defraud'

Defraud exactly who of just what is beyond me

Tony maintained all he was guilty of was having somebody put a bet on the match (that he was MotM in)
A bit naive? greedy? probably

Definitely hard done by IMO though (eh Mr Toney...and others)
No hate but I don't see what's wrong for placing a bet on a match? I'm just curious as I'm no expert

No hate but I don't see what's wrong for placing a bet on a match? I'm just curious as I'm no expert
Well the theory was/is I suppose - lead them not into temptation?
If you have an extra financial interest in any game, you may be open to effecting the game you are actually playing in.
Which 'may' lead you to imparting this knowledge to...
A) The Bookies
B) Other Punters
or - even worse
C) winning money from Bookies 😱 😱😱
A bit like Insiderer trading - knowledge is power

Well the theory was/is I suppose - lead them not into temptation?
If you have an extra financial interest in any game, you may be open to effecting the game you are actually playing in.
Which 'may' lead you to imparting this knowledge to...
A) The Bookies
B) Other Punters
or - even worse
C) winning money from Bookies 😱 😱😱
A bit like Insiderer trading - knowledge is power
Everton suspended him as soon as the allegations were given ......

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back