Orange and Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Engine

Player Valuation: £500k
Very little is said about the large contingent of protestant Evertonians. With Orange Lodge day approaching you often see loads of Everton tattoos there, and of course their base is in Everton too. In the 70s there seemed an equal mix of Rangers shouts to Celtic, but when the fashion of the bobble hats came in the 80s, the green and blue stood out more than the blue and blue, leading to Everton and Celtic connections being more pronounced as it was more visually prominent, leading to a snowball effect. This led to the Rangers Evertonians being the unspoken.

People often ask the questions if Evertonians are in general more 'Rangers or Celtic'. To me the answer is we're both (and of course neither-loads not bothered etc, or represent other religions) we have large followings for both. There very well may be a larger Celtic contingent with proud connections to them, but do not let that detract from a very large protestant base with Rangers connections.

People will say religion has no place I football. I disagree. Football is supposed to be all welcoming and all inclusive, it is the intolerance of other religions that is an issue when it reaches a certain level.
People point to "oh to hell with Liverpool and Rangers" but this was took from the Rangers song Walking down the Copland Road and was wrote after the British Championship match of 63. We also sung "We hate Nottingham Forest" but most take that line with a pinch of salt.

We also had a good number of other Rangers based Everton songs in the past too, Every other Saturday, Follow Follow, We'll fight and no surrender, Hello Hello, and the epic lengthed Dirty Saturday/3-2 Cup final song was to the Sash. As with the Celtic Everton songs pretty much all of the religious and political ideals of the songs were removed and Evertonised, so much so that it asks if you can use them to link us to Rangers or Celtic backgrounds?

In the 1980s when we had a lot of Celtic fans coming down there was a reaction against this (nb Celtic fans also went to Anfield- the exact same ones or different I don't know). There was an Everton version of a Fathers advice, and a new one to the Sash doing the rounds. (Does anyone off here remember the words to them?)

Great thread. Would love to read about it more - british football culture is my hobby.

People will say religion has no place I football. I disagree. Football is supposed to be all welcoming and all inclusive, it is the intolerance of other religions that is an issue when it reaches a certain level.
You can be any religion or none as an Evertonian and no one takes issue. I like it that way.

Rangers and Celtic fans need to pick a second club to support because theirs are garbage. Everton fans don't because ours is ace. Having said that I laughed my balls off when Rangers got relegated and had all their trophies taken off them, not because of the religion of their fans but because they're a bunch of racist whoppers.

Orange parades have no place in modern society. Or indeed any type of parade/procession that goes somewhere it isn't wanted.

I think religion has absolutely no place in football. There's enough of a tribal nature to footy as it is without dragging up issues from hundreds of years ago.

The Orange Order in Northern Ireland is basically a sectarian organisation which uses their annual 'celebration' (of a battle 350 years ago in Ireland) to intimidate those of a different religious persuasion by marching through their neighbourhoods playing offensive music and burning huge pyres of wood.
Very similar to Neo Nazi marches if you ask me.

If that is something you want Everton to be associated with, then fine.

Rangers and Celtic fans need to pick a second club to support because theirs are garbage. Everton fans don't because ours is ace. Having said that I laughed my balls off when Rangers got relegated and had all their trophies taken off them, not because of the religion of their fans but because they're a bunch of racist whoppers.
We didn't lose any trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.