Our most loyal player

Status
Not open for further replies.
....good memory, Mac. Yes, I went to an FA Youth Cup game v Manchester United at Gigg Lane and he scored an unbelievable goal. An absolute unstoppable rocket.

He was playing midfield in those days, and I actually recommended him as a potential RB to a lower league manager. Weird how things work out.

Did you ever receive feedback from the lower league manager why he didnt go for him, or did we just not want to sell?

I can remember a European tie in Moyes days when all our recognised centre backs were injured or suspended and Hibbert played cb, away from home, with a very young Duffy alongside him. Not only did Hibbo step into his new role with skill and dedication, he also talked Duffy through the game and they played a blinder together. I honestly can't remember the result but I know we didn't lose. Hibbo and Duffy were high fiving each other at the end of the game and received pats on the back from the rest of the team and massive applause from our fantastic away fans.

But that's in a world, long, long ago, when we had character, fight and belief in whoever pulled on the Royal Blue jersey.

As previously posted by @tommye (God bless his soul).....

Hibbo....

"He waits. That’s what he does. Then he shuffles. That’s how he moves. Side-step, side-step, side-step, tracking the bogey, marshalling it, gently manoeuvring it into position. And then he strikes. There is a heavy thump of boot on ball and a roar from the frenzied crowd. Patrice Evra spins through the night sky, landing heavily, the air driven from his lungs on impact. Unruffled and uninterested in the acclaim, Tony Hibbert gets to his feet and shuffles back into position.
That’s what he does.
He is not a superstar, he is not a brand.
He’s just a bloody bloke.

There are certain expectations of a 21st century full-back. They must be auxiliary wingers, scampering up and down the pitch, tracking their man, but providing their own pressure on the flanks. They must be whippets in boots, probing and penetrating like a well thrown javelin. Hibbert probes and penetrates like a sledgehammer swung through the side of a shed. He’ll get forward occasionally, he’s even been known to set up the odd goal, but he has never, ever shared a sentence with the word ‘cavalier.’ This isn’t to patronise or denigrate his achievements. Hibbert made his debut for Everton in 2001 and you don’t get to play more than 250 Premier League games over an 11 year period purely because you’re a hard worker. Hibbert is intelligent, he doesn’t desert his post, he rarely switches off and he always, always makes sure that the man he is marking knows that he’s been marked. You can see why David Moyes has never sought to replace him.
While Marouane Fellaini was the star of Everton’s opening night 1-0 victory over Manchester United, Hibbert typified his team’s efforts. He is, in many ways, Everton personified"

Still love you Tone XXX

I can remember a European tie in Moyes days when all our recognised centre backs were injured or suspended and Hibbert played cb, away from home, with a very young Duffy alongside him. Not only did Hibbo step into his new role with skill and dedication, he also talked Duffy through the game and they played a blinder together. I honestly can't remember the result but I know we didn't lose. Hibbo and Duffy were high fiving each other at the end of the game and received pats on the back from the rest of the team and massive applause from our fantastic away fans.

But that's in a world, long, long ago, when we had character, fight and belief in whoever pulled on the Royal Blue jersey.

Clean sheet away at AEK Athens I think. I also remember Hibbo marking Aguero our the game at centreback and also even marshalling Peter Crouch. If he’d played in Italy he could have been a brilliant central defender. Didn’t have the pace to be the modern attacking fullback but he could cross a ball better than Coleman that’s for sure. Probably our best technical defender for a long time.

I remember something like this. I know he blotted his copy book having a moan, and it's more the mismanagement of the club that kept him on in those final few seasons rather than find a more able replacement, but we shouldn't forget that he did do his best for the club when he was playing and there's plenty who we can accuse of far worse than that.

lolSaw someone mention Labone. Way to take the nuclear option to blow Hibbo out of the water!

BATE Borisov. We lost 1-0 actually... Though he did come on early against AEK too as mentioned above.

Heitinga was very good with Duffy doing the things you mentioned actually when he played a few games the next season.

Definitely Phil Jagielka.

Despite not being needed for at least the past three years, he's bravely stuck around to ensure our new central defenders can live and perform up to the high expectations he set as our captain and most loyal piece of the furniture at Goodison Park.

Absolutely a legend and fabulous servant to the club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to totally excuse him, but in mitigation the club released him without evening telling him before it was placed the official site.
Well. His contract was ending wasn't it? Surely he was aware of that. That said, he is a bit thick, so maybe not. Maybe he just thought his contract runs forever until he decides to pack it all in.

Dogs of war days!

Very good at what he did best Hibbo, a proper defensive fullback, hardly ever let us down, he may not have been a modern fullback going forward but was extremely dependable, we could do with a Hibbert now. I always thought he was a good little player and part of a pretty solid defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.