Our 'Rules' + Moderator Defaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Blues,

We're busier than ever;

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 21.08.44.webp

This has prompted us, over in our plush mod central - to discuss our moderating stance for the season ahead.

The crux of the discussion is - can we moderate GrandOldTeam a little more leniently? Have we as a moderating setup become a bit miserable? (don't answer that...).

Anyway - it would be good to have some feedback on the below.
  • What should the moderating warning system be?
As in, how should the moderators of your Everton forum, moderate.

We last revised our community guidelines in 2008 - I think they're still applicable, but I think we could improve on how we ask and prompt the community to follow the guidelines.

Currently, if a moderator sees a post that goes against our guidelines - they hit 'warn' and have a predetermined setup like so;

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 20.53.51.webp

These allocate warning points - as below;

Warning System
30 Points = Suspended for 2 Days.
60 points = Suspended For 7 Days.
80 points = Suspended For 14 Days.
100 points = Permanently Banned.

Inappropriate Language: 10 points
General Behaviour Warning: 20 points
Off Topic: 20 points
Minor Spamming: 20 points
Posting Abusive/Offensive Material: 60 points
Spammed Advertisements: 100 points
10 and 20 point infractions expire after 30 days, the rest after 45 days.

The lower value warnings can be issued as a warning (0 points) at the discretion of the staff member.

You will be automatically notified via private message if you receive a warning - meaning the points wont mount up without you realising.

So...
Can our system be better?

Is it easily understood?

Is it fair?

How do we keep GrandOldTeam 'sound' and civil, but don't go to far and lose the fun.

Above all - If you could setup the moderating structure for GOT, what would it be?

I know it's difficult blues, but serious suggestions/feedback please...

Last edited by a moderator:
image.webp Would this spam advert get 100?

Blues,

We're busier than ever;

View attachment 25559

This has prompted us, over in our plush mod central - to discuss our moderating stance for the season ahead.

The crux of the discussion is - can we moderate GrandOldTeam a little more leniently? Have we as a moderating setup become a bit miserable? (don't answer that...).

We last revised our community guidelines in 2008 - I think they're still applicable, but I think we could improve on how we ask and prompt the community to follow the guidelines.

Currently, if a moderator sees a post that goes against our guidelines - they hit 'warn' and have a predetermined setup like so;

View attachment 25557

So...

Is it easily understood?

Is it fair?

How do we keep GrandOldTeam 'sound' and civil, but don't go to far and lose the fun.

Above all - If you could setup the moderating structure for GOT, what would it be?

Upvote 0
Since you asked for feedback.

Firstly the disclaimer: mod is an unpaid job and one which @GrandOldTeam will confirm I've swerved a few times as I couldn't be arsed handling dolts like me looking for cheap wind ups and the utter ringpieces that occasionally show up on here. I know a few of the mods, have drank a beer with them and they're good eggs.

However.

There's a chronic problem with the modding on here of late. Put simply, it's sucking all the fun out of the place.

GOT always had a sound community where the humour was sometimes near the knuckle but reigned in when needed. Instead now you get thread bans and actual bans and spoken to like you're a piece of shît when you try to have a bit of fun. Even if it's in the Everton forum there needs to be a reasonable amount of fun and off topic allowed because, well, that's just how forums are. It's how human conversation is. We're not sat with a fûcking agenda in front of us at work and not allowed to deviate it from it.

The approach to modding is too harsh. I've just had a week ban because I done, and I'll put it in simple terms, a clear parody of our players getting bummed in the centre circle. Sound. If you're offended by that then I hope you also ban all those referencing to the greenhouse scene in Scum. A week ban. You power hungry beauts. Where's the common sense modding approach in that? You're turning GOT sterile and into Everton's own version of RAWK by being too over the top.

The best threads on here that still get talked about are the ones with the wind ups and the mass fall outs where someone loses their head. Now as soon as any debate is triggered it's like a countdown to the thread being locked or you being thread banned, or banned outright.

Half the mods who used to mod aren't around anymore which is sad because they were ace but if they're not active mods then they need to be replaced, that's another problem.

The place used to self mod itself with the help of the rep system but that had to go understandable and it's got bigger by the month but it shouldn't lose it's ability to mod in a sound way. I don't feel the active mods get the balance or line right. There's also plenty of sound posters who can't be arsed on here because of it, we talk about it from time to time and they're of the same opinion: the fun is being sucked out of it.

There doesn't seem to be any cohesion with the mods and limited attempt to build rapport with the posters by some of the mods, resulting in the draconian approach to modding. It needs more sound mods who get the humour of the place and roll with it, like any time Danny remembers us and leaves Twitter to get involved in a thread. He engages posters, he can tell someone to turn it in.

So these locked threads, thread bans, bans and generally turning the place into Everton's version of RAWK need addressing. Fresh blood needs to be brought into the mod team, new rules for the mods not for the site need drawing up so everyone knows where the line is and what the tone of the forum should be.

Bring the fun back to GOT and the soundness it used to have. It's what made it popular and grow in the first place. Let some debates flow, stop being so stuck up.

People come on here for leisure rather than obligation, the mods need to be less like impotent prison guards and more part of the community themselves.

Over and out.

Ok need to respond to this. As you did I start with a caveat- you are a friend of mine and I like you a lot but you are out of order.

First off we were here from day one when we still adhered to rules- no swearing, treat each other with respect and people that didnt do that didnt last long. That premise hasnt changed and is still very much at the core of what makes this forum great.

You feel that you should be able to do what you like and put a big two fingers up to the whole forum, we've talked about it privately that you are trying to push boundaries and see what you can get away with. You also feel that people you like should be untouchable- people like davek, who was warned several times, several pm's were sent to him- stuff went on that you have NO idea happened, you think you knoweverything that goes on- you dont. He kept doing what we asked him not to and in the end he abused a moderator, didnt do what we asked so he got banned, he was lucky it wasnt permanent. But thats wrong because you like him. Sound.

BMG- another who I like alot but again he wanted to be a bit renowned and seen by everyon as a bit of lad- he had more chances than most and again was asked personally by me to on several occassions to toe the line a bit but no- NSFW images in the Everton forum, swearing, abuse (whether tongue in cheek or not) and after around 17 suspensions the mod team got fed up and made it permanent. But you like him so out of order to ban him. Sound.

The thing is you used to be clever, know how to push it but not step over the line now you just throw your weight around and then get mardy when it doesnt go your way. You talk about melt downs and corn being the best thing about this place, well there was a beauty the other day when you were thread banned and literally threw your toys out the pram and text me a tirade of cry arsing, half tempted to screen shot it and post on here.

Bottom line mate to call the mods on here as you put it power hungry beauts is out of order, we give up our own time and as you can see most of the feedback has been positive from everyone else. There are things we can do to improve hence this thread and back stage chat, again which you have no idea about.

Whether this was directed at me or not Im part of the team that try and run this place as well as we can and to be moaned at almost every day by you is so bloody boring.

Upvote 0
Ok need to respond to this. As you did I start with a caveat- you are a friend of mine and I like you a lot but you are out of order.

First off we were here from day one when we still adhered to rules- no swearing, treat each other with respect and people that didnt do that didnt last long. That premise hasnt changed and is still very much at the core of what makes this forum great.

You feel that you should be able to do what you like and put a big two fingers up to the whole forum, we've talked about it privately that you are trying to push boundaries and see what you can get away with. You also feel that people you like should be untouchable- people like davek, who was warned several times, several pm's were sent to him- stuff went on that you have NO idea happened, you think you knoweverything that goes on- you dont. He kept doing what we asked him not to and in the end he abused a moderator, didnt do what we asked so he got banned, he was lucky it wasnt permanent. But thats wrong because you like him. Sound.

BMG- another who I like alot but again he wanted to be a bit renowned and seen by everyon as a bit of lad- he had more chances than most and again was asked personally by me to on several occassions to toe the line a bit but no- NSFW images in the Everton forum, swearing, abuse (whether tongue in cheek or not) and after around 17 suspensions the mod team got fed up and made it permanent. But you like him so out of order to ban him. Sound.

The thing is you used to be clever, know how to push it but not step over the line now you just throw your weight around and then get mardy when it doesnt go your way. You talk about melt downs and corn being the best thing about this place, well there was a beauty the other day when you were thread banned and literally threw your toys out the pram and text me a tirade of cry arsing, half tempted to screen shot it and post on here.

Bottom line mate to call the mods on here as you put it power hungry beauts is out of order, we give up our own time and as you can see most of the feedback has been positive from everyone else. There are things we can do to improve hence this thread and back stage chat, again which you have no idea about.

Whether this was directed at me or not Im part of the team that try and run this place as well as we can and to be moaned at almost every day by you is so bloody boring.

I think the mods 8/10 time do a sound job.

I would like to add that having a chat with a moderator in a thread is a good thing

I've been doing this and one or two moderators were taking this as some sort of challenge and infracting me rather than just what it was. Chatting.

Chatting is not a challenge. It's just chat.

It's what we're here for isn't it?

But otherwise enjoy seeing @GrandOldTeam and others like @Bruce Wayne or @The Esk and so on actually chatting in the forum. Often brings sanity to the place.

Mick, in my post above. I meant you as well. Need to see you chat more in threads. Bring some sanity to the place.

Upvote 0

This is exactly what makes GOT what it is.
Apart from the bits and pieces of togger news and views and the occasional ITK (both real and jarg) the main reason for logging into the forum is the points in bold above.
The place is full of deluded bell ends, and I love it! I have lost count of the times that I've embarrassed myself by laughing out loud (and believe me that's nothing to do with the 'jokes' thread)
It CAN get a little annoying when 2 members dominate a thread by bickering at each other thus derailing said thread, but as I mentioned a while back, some of the petty arguments, huffs and fumes are often the most entertaining part of the various threads.
Rather than knocking it on the head, why not just redirect the miscreants to a special 'handbags' thread, where they can continue to slap each other for the amusement of voyeurs such as my good self.

A handbags sub forum would be cool. A virtual barney where they can b1tchslap each other for the amusement of the public...

Mods...make it so :)

Reactions: kev
Upvote 0
Since you asked for feedback.

Firstly the disclaimer: mod is an unpaid job and one which @GrandOldTeam will confirm I've swerved a few times as I couldn't be arsed handling dolts like me looking for cheap wind ups and the utter ringpieces that occasionally show up on here. I know a few of the mods, have drank a beer with them and they're good eggs.

However.

There's a chronic problem with the modding on here of late. Put simply, it's sucking all the fun out of the place.

GOT always had a sound community where the humour was sometimes near the knuckle but reigned in when needed. Instead now you get thread bans and actual bans and spoken to like you're a piece of shît when you try to have a bit of fun. Even if it's in the Everton forum there needs to be a reasonable amount of fun and off topic allowed because, well, that's just how forums are. It's how human conversation is. We're not sat with a fûcking agenda in front of us at work and not allowed to deviate it from it.

The approach to modding is too harsh. I've just had a week ban because I done, and I'll put it in simple terms, a clear parody of our players getting bummed in the centre circle. Sound. If you're offended by that then I hope you also ban all those referencing to the greenhouse scene in Scum. A week ban. You power hungry beauts. Where's the common sense modding approach in that? You're turning GOT sterile and into Everton's own version of RAWK by being too over the top.

The best threads on here that still get talked about are the ones with the wind ups and the mass fall outs where someone loses their head. Now as soon as any debate is triggered it's like a countdown to the thread being locked or you being thread banned, or banned outright.

Half the mods who used to mod aren't around anymore which is sad because they were ace but if they're not active mods then they need to be replaced, that's another problem.

The place used to self mod itself with the help of the rep system but that had to go understandable and it's got bigger by the month but it shouldn't lose it's ability to mod in a sound way. I don't feel the active mods get the balance or line right. There's also plenty of sound posters who can't be arsed on here because of it, we talk about it from time to time and they're of the same opinion: the fun is being sucked out of it.

There doesn't seem to be any cohesion with the mods and limited attempt to build rapport with the posters by some of the mods, resulting in the draconian approach to modding. It needs more sound mods who get the humour of the place and roll with it, like any time Danny remembers us and leaves Twitter to get involved in a thread. He engages posters, he can tell someone to turn it in.

So these locked threads, thread bans, bans and generally turning the place into Everton's version of RAWK need addressing. Fresh blood needs to be brought into the mod team, new rules for the mods not for the site need drawing up so everyone knows where the line is and what the tone of the forum should be.

Bring the fun back to GOT and the soundness it used to have. It's what made it popular and grow in the first place. Let some debates flow, stop being so stuck up.

People come on here for leisure rather than obligation, the mods need to be less like impotent prison guards and more part of the community themselves.

Over and out.

Hey @chicoazul and @micknick Away to the 'handbags' thread with you :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Upvote 0
Largely agree with @chicoazul .

I know modding must be an absolute ballache but some of the fun has definitely gone out of the place. Last summer we had "GoT Gold" where an old thread was unlocked for people to read and laugh at again. All the threads voted for were ones were a group of us ripped into someone and generally took the p1ss. Pretty sure that these days there would have been thread bans handed out all over for off topic.

So I think the mods need to take a look at the feel of the thread and if everyone is happy let it go. Pay less attention to off topic. X

Upvote 0
**fades in**

The moderating team are a credit to the forum but the time is nigh for the militias to support them

Rep must return

Shots have been fired

**fades out**

Upvote 0

I always equate discussions on this forum with having a natter in a boozer! There are rules and there are boundaries that are only crossed at the risk of a smack in the mouth! Prior to said smack in mouth being dished out, someone will normally issue a warning? The mods issue the warnings prior to the smack in the mouth (the ban) being dealt! If people dont like or dont listen to those warnings, they can hardly complain if they have their noses bust?

The forum is fair, anyone who doesnt agree, join another or set up their own?

Upvote 0
Having looked at the warning criteria and the points system, my feeling is that the system in place seems to work and work quite well. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just my opinion as someone who enjoys the wide variety of subject matter and diversity of Evertonians and indeed fans of other clubs that GOT attracts from around the globe.

Upvote 0
Blues,

We're busier than ever;

View attachment 25559

View attachment 25557

So...

Is it easily understood?

Is it fair?

The system's fine.

It's not always used consistently, and that's sensible, if anything, it's used a little too consistently. There are times when things are strictly speaking breaking the rules, but they can be allowed to run without fear of things getting too out of hand. At times like that, rather than closing threads or issuing warnings sometimes it would be better just to be there, posting and keeping an eye on things, but time doesn't always allow that.

The mod team do a fine job, I've met most of them and they're all sound. @The Esk's a scruff and should wear a tie with a shirt, but that's a minor thing. What posters sometimes forget is that the mods are ( fairly ) normal people with lifes, jobs, worries as well so they'll have good days and bad days, so if a mod seems a bit tetchy about something you've posted which they wouldn't normally get arsy about, they've probably just stubbed their toe on the kitchen table or their kid's just thrown up on the carpet, so don't take it too heart.

Upvote 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back