2018/19 Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offence but that either shows a serious lack of understanding of football or a refusal to accept that someone you don't want to rate had a good game. There's more to being a centre half than last ditch tackles and clearances off the line. They caused us no problems because we defended well, and he was part of that, just as Gana and Schneiderlin were. Whether he can keep that up in future, and in particular whether he's suited to playing against teams with a lot of pace and quick feet, I don't know, but it's churlish to suggest he has been anything other than solid when we've called on him over the past 12 months or so.
I was being a little over the top. See my other post. Did he have a good game after the nightmare beginning? Yes. But so did everyone really. Is it likely to continue against premier league level opposition? I doubt it. That's not a slight at the man, mind. He's just beyond usefulness in a game such as Sunday. If he plays, I hope I'm wrong

There was a time and place for Jags. Solid professional, he did a job for us for many years.

However, if the first 2 minutes of this game were any indication, he should never see the pitch again. The Cardiff guy spotted him 10 yards and he made it up in about 30 yards when they should have scored. He should not be playing at all

What about the other 88 min after?

I like Jags, in his prime was a top notch defender, just shy of the elite level for me. I don't understand people who snigger at his captaincy, he may not have won anything but he has been a top class captain and leader on the pitch as well.

While he did have a decent game after initially looking like a disaster waiting to happen the other night, I will remind myself that he has been on the decline and has been part of a back four that have been pretty woeful for a few years. Obviously that's not all on Jags but when your body struggles to keep up with your brain in football, it's time to ease yourself out.

having said that, I probably have more faith with him at the moment than without, up against tricky speedsters of the level of Mane and Salah won't be nice to watch though.

I like Jags, in his prime was a top notch defender, just shy of the elite level for me. I don't understand people who snigger at his captaincy, he may not have won anything but he has been a top class captain and leader on the pitch as well.

While he did have a decent game after initially looking like a disaster waiting to happen the other night, I will remind myself that he has been on the decline and has been part of a back four that have been pretty woeful for a few years. Obviously that's not all on Jags but when your body struggles to keep up with your brain in football, it's time to ease yourself out.

having said that, I probably have more faith with him at the moment than without, up against tricky speedsters of the level of Mane and Salah won't be nice to watch though.
Think a lot have forgotten the bad knee injuries he's suffered the first just after the Semi win against Man U was very nearly a career ender. He might not get too exposed at the weekend if the players ahead of him can compete well enough to stop supply to Mane/Salah

I knew his body was morphing into that of a traditional darts player. Now it all makes sense.

0_file2-5jpeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.