Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Playing Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question, that. It feels like the general consensus on here is that voting tory is up there with rape and murder, so I suspect he'd get far worse stick than he has done so far. What do you reckon?
I'd rather have a Tory than a rapist or murderer on my team. Though I don't think most fans would be arsed about having a rapist on the squad.

Like I said, most of the Everton squad are probably Tories anyway. The only confirmed Everton lefties I know of, past and present, are Baines, Bilic, Southall, Reid, Lineker, Naismith and Nevin.

Not so bothered about political leanings of players, they are entitled to view the world just as anybody else and even in a club like St Pauli supporters do not all have the same political affiliations, nor should they. Not heard too many grumblings about our most successful chairman being a prominent local conservative.

But I would love more comments from players about pineapple on pizza, favourite Corrie actress, basically they should all go on the Alehouse threads. And then we would be as one, wouldn't we? Wouldn't we?

Just get stuck in and win.

Despite everything in life being intrinsically-linked to politics, it's the slightly-comical outbursts like these that make me feel thankful that more footballers don't air their political affiliations

In fairness to Sol Campbell, he was right on that occasion.

Labour sold off around half of the UK's gold reserves just before the price of gold increased exponentially.

I still vote Labour, though.

As long as our players are not fascists, communists or terrorist-sympathisers, then I really don't care what they think about politics.

What they do on Twitter is easy for me to ignore. If they want to air political views then they have as much right to me.

I only want them to perform on the pitch and act like a decent human being off it. As long as they do that then they can say what they like on social media as far as I'm concerned. I would neither love it nor hate it.

I'd rather have a Tory than a rapist or murderer on my team. Though I don't think most fans would be arsed about having a rapist on the squad.

Like I said, most of the Everton squad are probably Tories anyway. The only confirmed Everton lefties I know of, past and present, are Baines, Bilic, Southall, Reid, Lineker, Naismith and Nevin.
You sure about that? I would have thought most people would say otherwise.

Honestly, after Ched Evans and Adam Johnson, I'm not so sure. :( And football fans will go to some lengths to defend nasty things players have done. Remember Suarez?
Not so bothered about political leanings of players, they are entitled to view the world just as anybody else and even in a club like St Pauli supporters do not all have the same political affiliations, nor should they. Not heard too many grumblings about our most successful chairman being a prominent local conservative.

But I would love more comments from players about pineapple on pizza, favourite Corrie actress, basically they should all go on the Alehouse threads. And then we would be as one, wouldn't we? Wouldn't we?

Just get stuck in and win.
I'd love it if they talked about non-football stuff as well, and I don't mean sponsorship deals. Or golf. Like if it's Bolasie talking about grime or whatever.

When you pay people shedloads of money - in this country at any rate - they usually shut up to make sure the next pay packet is just around the corner.

And career move... think Colin Kaepernick.

Socially responsible or a bit meugh?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41623019

Hertha Berlin's players and officials "took a knee" to show their support for "an open-minded world" before their 2-0 loss against Schalke on Saturday.

The Bundesliga club copied the protests, started by San Francisco 49ers NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, against treatment of black Americans.

US President Donald Trump has heavily criticised the American protests.

"Hertha BSC stands for tolerance and responsibility," said a tweet posted on the official Hertha Berlin account.

The tweet also said the club stands for "a tolerant Berlin and an open-minded world, now and forevermore", before adding the hashtag #takeaknee.

_98317569_hertha_epa.jpg

"We are living in the 21st century, not the 18th century, but there are some people who haven't developed their ideologies accordingly," Hertha player Sebastian Langkamp told Sky Sports.

"If we can give them a bit of help in doing so, then that's good."

Schalke won the match thanks to second-half goals from Leon Goretzka and Guido Burgstaller after Hertha Berlin had Genki Haraguchi sent off for a bad challenge on Burgstaller in the 44th minute.

Kaepernick started his protest last year when he sat down as the American national anthem was played during a pre-season American football game in 2016.

He explained his gesture, which later became known as "taking the knee", was meant to highlight racial injustice and police brutality against African Americans.

President Trump said NFL players who refused to stand during the national anthem should be fired, comments that led to a large number of protests involving American football teams and owners.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said disputes over the protests threaten "to erode the game's unifying power" and called on clubs to resolve the issue.

Socially responsible or a bit meugh?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41623019

Hertha Berlin's players and officials "took a knee" to show their support for "an open-minded world" before their 2-0 loss against Schalke on Saturday.

The Bundesliga club copied the protests, started by San Francisco 49ers NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, against treatment of black Americans.

US President Donald Trump has heavily criticised the American protests.

"Hertha BSC stands for tolerance and responsibility," said a tweet posted on the official Hertha Berlin account.

The tweet also said the club stands for "a tolerant Berlin and an open-minded world, now and forevermore", before adding the hashtag #takeaknee.

_98317569_hertha_epa.jpg

"We are living in the 21st century, not the 18th century, but there are some people who haven't developed their ideologies accordingly," Hertha player Sebastian Langkamp told Sky Sports.

"If we can give them a bit of help in doing so, then that's good."

Schalke won the match thanks to second-half goals from Leon Goretzka and Guido Burgstaller after Hertha Berlin had Genki Haraguchi sent off for a bad challenge on Burgstaller in the 44th minute.

Kaepernick started his protest last year when he sat down as the American national anthem was played during a pre-season American football game in 2016.

He explained his gesture, which later became known as "taking the knee", was meant to highlight racial injustice and police brutality against African Americans.

President Trump said NFL players who refused to stand during the national anthem should be fired, comments that led to a large number of protests involving American football teams and owners.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said disputes over the protests threaten "to erode the game's unifying power" and called on clubs to resolve the issue.
I think that's fair enough.

They've seen something they don't like, and they've stood in solidarity with those they agree with.

Perhaps a bit contrived, but ultimately I agree wth them for doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back