Poll : Martinez Post Newcastle

Martinez?

• In

• Out

• Cheese on Toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With who overtaking us? Many suspicions Southampton could go down and I don't see the quality in the rest of the league.
thought Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Utd, Spurs, RS would be above us and maybe Swansea or Newcastle would fight us for 8th (more a fact of EL stretching our squad thin than them having a better sqaud)

Righto so what are you even arguing about.

We've dropped from challenging for europe to about 15th. That's a poor season in the league. Whether it's top 7 or top 8 which we expected is irrelivant, we've under performed.

The one factor that mitigates for that under performance is the europa. We win a trophy and everything else is gravy. And we still can do that, which is what ultimately will effect how we view this season and martinez' perfomance in it.
i'm not really arguing tbh mate! haha was mainly just saying I still wouldn't have viewed it was a "lock/give in" going into the season. there's always surprises in the prem

thought Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Utd, Spurs, RS would be above us and maybe Swansea or Newcastle would fight us for 8th (more a fact of EL stretching our squad thin than them having a better sqaud)
I see your point, but I think at that time I.e the start of the season that you were in a minority. The teams you mentioned, we finished 23 and 30 points above respectively. It should have taken something huge by them to over turn us, as it was we had a season from Hell.

I see your point, but I think at that time I.e the start of the season that you were in a minority. The teams you mentioned, we finished 23 and 30 points above respectively. It should have taken something huge by them to over turn us, as it was we had a season from Hell.

Again, the fact we're still in for a cup, shades my view on this.

I think as long as there is still a trophy to play for, you can't write off the season. It's only when you're out of all knock outs that league position becomes the be all and end all.

Again, the fact we're still in for a cup, shades my view on this.

I think as long as there is still a trophy to play for, you can't write off the season. It's only when you're out of all knock outs that league position becomes the be all and end all.
I totally agree, Id much rather finish anywhere above relegation and win the Europa League. My point is, I don't think many would have predicted Everton would not be in the top 7 this season, never mind the top half.

I am glad that we're having a proper conversation about how and why martinez has underachieved this season.

I think the debate has been dragged off topic too much by reactionary panic about how we'd get relegated and need to sack bobby if we want to win a game ever again and that's no use.

We won't get relegated, it was never a serious option, and we never reached a point where we needed to change managers so soon, but we have very much underperformed and Bobby has shown some worrying weaknesses that we have to hope he has learned from.

Last edited:
Big change since the last pole I saw which was about 50-50 I think (pre-Kiev). Would be interesting to correlate who is voting in each one, to see if it's different ppl voting, or ppl voting differently. Fwiw, I voted in, and always have done. He should get til Dec/Xmas next season to get us playing properly again and back up the league where we belong.

Big change since the last pole I saw which was about 50-50 I think (pre-Kiev). Would be interesting to correlate who is voting in each one, to see if it's different ppl voting, or ppl voting differently. Fwiw, I voted in, and always have done. He should get til Dec/Xmas next season to get us playing properly again and back up the league where we belong.
The last poll was about 65/35 in favour of him getting sacked.

I voted out on every single 1, bar this 1, the reason was I could see a change in tempo and mentality from the players.

I've voted for him to stay in every vote, except for the post Stoke one which I abstained from, and admitted I was beginning to waver.

Even then I said I hoped he'd turn it around and that I thought he was the right man for the long term.

I now hope we can continue to improve, mix up the play and continue our run in Europe.

It's was disappointing watching them lot go 2 points away from the top 4. Believe it or not we were 2 points away from the top 4 after we beat West Ham near the end of Novemeber. That's what's made our poor form even more unbearable, the top 4 is wide open now and even 3rd could have been up for grabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.