Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Positive thoughts thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can still win the FA Cup.

If we fail. The new boss sacks Martinez and we might have a big name new manager in the summer.

A win-win situation.

In actual fact, it's a vary apt thread as being positive and having self-belief are two attributes that appear lacking around the club.

I thank back to the halcyon days of the late 1960's and then the mid 1980's when Everton - the club, players and fans - were positive and believed. At times, even in the Gordon Lee era !!

We didn't fear opposition clubs and teams, we afforded them respect, but not fear no way !!
We went into games, every game, to win and if we couldn't win, we'd compete and give of our best.
The mental approach was right.

Too often in the last twenty years, we have gone wrong mentally.
We have gone into games with the 'knife to a gunfight' or 'glad to get out alive' thinking prevailing in the players and fans mindset.
As a club, we've grown far too accustomed to and almost accepted losing to Manu, the RS, and Arsenal that a draw is seen as almost a reason to celebrate.

Mr.Moshiri, as well as addressing commercial activities, investigating stadium options and protecting/enhancing the playing staff and maybe making a managerial change, in my opinion needs to bring to the club some top sports psychologists to work with EVERYONE about replacing the ingrained negativity and lack of belief with a positive and winning mentality.

Some will argue for and some will argue against that the late, late Inchy equaliser at Oxford as having been the over-riding factor that turned Howard Kendall's Everton from competitors into winners - whatever it was, Howie struck gold and our club did turn almost overnight back to what it had been in the 1960's - a powerhouse club.

We can pull the RS from pillar to post over their cultish behaviour, and the undeniable fact that but for Heysel we would have gone on to dominate for possibly some considerable length of time... but the one thing they have over us in abundance is an absolutely inordinate level of self-belief.
You can call it entitlement if you like, but I'd go so far as to suggest that since 1971 and that damned semi-final loss at Old Trafford to them, they have never gone into any derby since thinking they wouldn't prevail, possibly not even in those halcyon days of the mid 1980's.

@Khalekan @Dario Terracotta @The Esk @Joey66 @oldblue @Woolly Blue @anyone-in-their-late 50's/60's
@Paulrimm

Great post, Block.

The saddest thing is that Roberto Martinez, a man of boundless optimism and positivity, should be the perfect fit for us in this new era.

Two short seasons ago the "knife to a gunfight" mentality seemed well and truly smashed as we won at OT and played Arsenal off the park for long periods at the Emirates.

Roberto is everything I would aspire to be myself.

He is well spoken and comes across as confident, charismatic, courteous, empathetic, intelligent.

Yet retains a self deprecating humour which allows him to laugh at himself.

But somewhere inside him there is an arrogance which won't allow him to see his own flaws and that is going to be his undoing at Everton.

And I will be very sad when he goes because Everton and Bobby should have been so good for each other.

There are at least 3 worse teams than us that have contributed to us not being in a relegation fight, that's my positivity like

We beat Chelsea 3 games ago.... chemistry looked ok then
2 really bad games and its the end of the world

For me... we miss Barry massively

But, i feell there is rumblings behind the scenes.

Lets get back to normal, win the cup and reassess in the summer, RM is very much in the spotlight

In actual fact, it's a vary apt thread as being positive and having self-belief are two attributes that appear lacking around the club.

I thank back to the halcyon days of the late 1960's and then the mid 1980's when Everton - the club, players and fans - were positive and believed. At times, even in the Gordon Lee era !!

We didn't fear opposition clubs and teams, we afforded them respect, but not fear no way !!
We went into games, every game, to win and if we couldn't win, we'd compete and give of our best.
The mental approach was right.

Too often in the last twenty years, we have gone wrong mentally.
We have gone into games with the 'knife to a gunfight' or 'glad to get out alive' thinking prevailing in the players and fans mindset.
As a club, we've grown far too accustomed to and almost accepted losing to Manu, the RS, and Arsenal that a draw is seen as almost a reason to celebrate.

Mr.Moshiri, as well as addressing commercial activities, investigating stadium options and protecting/enhancing the playing staff and maybe making a managerial change, in my opinion needs to bring to the club some top sports psychologists to work with EVERYONE about replacing the ingrained negativity and lack of belief with a positive and winning mentality.

Some will argue for and some will argue against that the late, late Inchy equaliser at Oxford as having been the over-riding factor that turned Howard Kendall's Everton from competitors into winners - whatever it was, Howie struck gold and our club did turn almost overnight back to what it had been in the 1960's - a powerhouse club.

We can pull the RS from pillar to post over their cultish behaviour, and the undeniable fact that but for Heysel we would have gone on to dominate for possibly some considerable length of time... but the one thing they have over us in abundance is an absolutely inordinate level of self-belief.
You can call it entitlement if you like, but I'd go so far as to suggest that since 1971 and that damned semi-final loss at Old Trafford to them, they have never gone into any derby since thinking they wouldn't prevail, possibly not even in those halcyon days of the mid 1980's.

@Khalekan @Dario Terracotta @The Esk @Joey66 @oldblue @Woolly Blue @anyone-in-their-late 50's/60's
@Paulrimm

pretty much true

Even in a positive thoughts thread you make your positive sound like a negative, and have yet another pop at Martinez. You're a bitter little man.

Not as bitter as you. Going after me because I dislike Martinez's records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back