Possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possession can mean playing one touch in your own half, wondering how to break the opposition down, as Chelsea did against us. We won and their 80% possession stats meant nothing.

Ah fella come on. There is individual games it will work but its no long term strategy is it.
Christ if we cant even see ourselves that our midfield cant do anything else but dig in against some sides and scrape over the line then i despair
We cant go into every bloody game giving up the midfield like that.
Ludicrous to say it means nothing.

Leicester were great on the counter attack. Esp with vardy that season. He was in his element running into the space. They played that way because they had the perfect set up to play that way which is fair enough. We play that way because we're sh!t.

Agree although I still think its a system that suits us more than being dominant in posession of the ball.

The fans want revolution this summer but realistically with our FFP situation unless one of our holy trinity is sold (DCL, Richy, Pickers) we'll likely see 3-4 incomings max which will be still probably based on being able to offload the likes of Kean & Gbamin for fees.

The question mark is then can we switch up system/tactics with only 3-4 new faces to the squad? Be very difficult.

A bog standard 3 man midfield will always get overrun by a bog standard 5 man midfield , when Everton play a decent 5 man midfield we don't stand a chance of possession.

Agree although I still think its a system that suits us more than being dominant in posession of the ball.

The fans want revolution this summer but realistically with our FFP situation unless one of our holy trinity is sold (DCL, Richy, Pickers) we'll likely see 3-4 incomings max which will be still probably based on being able to offload the likes of Kean & Gbamin for fees.

The question mark is then can we switch up system/tactics with only 3-4 new faces to the squad? Be very difficult.

I agree. Thats why i posted earlier maybe calvert lewin might have to be sold to get someone who could play like a vardy.
If you have the personel that works then use it. We dont.

Ah fella come on. There is individual games it will work but its no long term strategy is it.
Christ if we cant even see ourselves that our midfield cant do anything else but dig in against some sides and scrape over the line then i despair
We cant go into every bloody game giving up the midfield like that.
Ludicrous to say it means nothing.
I can only speak as a supporter of a team who were in 18th spot when that game happened. Frank will cut his cloth to suit?

….it didn’t matter who it was against, Benitez allowed the opposition possession, his tactic was to consolidate.

its absolutely no surprise to see that statistic.

So glad only a few Evertonians supported him, & more importantly most saw him for what he was.
Even in his best years, his tactics were very negative, easier to watch paint dry than to watch a Benitez team. The only way he can possibly justify that, is by awinning most of his games, he patently no longer does so. He was a terrible appointment, by a deranged owner. My only real regret is the blind, stupid, provocative loyalty shown by certain posters on here to him.. I don't bother calling them out, because at this stage one of them tries to distance himself from his previously vehemently held views, another blows with the wind as long as he is controversial, and the others you may just as well talk to the wall. I can understand the logic of saying give him a chance and, even though I had a good idea how it would end, when he came in, I tried to be fair. My big problem was that these Benitez accolytes were still praising him even after the Watford debacle.

As I say, its gone now, but, I will remember hem.

Not really, Its a system that requires quick players who are comfortable running with the ball and they need to have an end product to make the most of the time on the ball when they get it. At the moment Gordon/Gray are slightly lacking in the end product dept. Its also a system that runs a risk of a high injury count due to number/level of sprints involved within it. Until we sort our fitness situation out I would suggest staying away from things that might encourage more injuries. Also aside from that, against the high press that a lot of teams play these days its kind of a weak system that invites trouble and is fairly easy to break down.

Status
Not open for further replies.