Questions about post-war Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember as a kid going to a restaurant/or posh tea room in or outside Lime Street Station.Red carpets an all that.All I remember was it was the 70's and me Mam was a nurse going to London for the day.Remember seeing her off with me Nan.......... or am I dreaming this.Any of our senior members shed any light on this ?

TL;DR
Where are some good places around the city to experience what life may have been like in late '40s/'50s Liverpool (relegation aside)? Does anyone have familiarity with records at the University of Liverpool, or somewhere I could find preserved documents from that period?

I'm hoping you all can help me out here with some suggestions. My girlfriend's grandfather passed away recently. Without boring you too much with family history, here is some context:

rOO73Bj.jpg

In addition to being one fly motherf***er, he was a respected academic and historian in China, which made him a politically controversial figure. Anyway, after being arrested by occupying Japanese forces and facing internal opposition in the aftermath, he sought to complete his doctorate from the Department of Geography at the University of Liverpool in 1946.

Though my girlfriend and I are unable to make the trip, her father is planning to spend a few days in Liverpool later this month in his father's memory. General visiting advice is welcome, but there are loads of existing threads on that topic. I'm more curious how to get a Chinese-American man into libraries to look at old newspapers and stuff. He's a photographer, so even areas with striking visuals of the crumbling remains of 1940s Liverpool might be of particular interest.

Thanks all, it's good to be back on GOT.

Will they be spending any time in London? If so the National Archives at Kew might be worth a visit - if your other half's granddad was politically controversial he might be mentioned in the Foriegn Office archives.

I remember as a kid going to a restaurant/or posh tea room in or outside Lime Street Station.Red carpets an all that.All I remember was it was the 70's and me Mam was a nurse going to London for the day.Remember seeing her off with me Nan.......... or am I dreaming this.Any of our senior members shed any light on this ?

Could it have been the tea room's at the Adelphi hotel ?, 90 seconds walk to Lime Street.

Will they be spending any time in London? If so the National Archives at Kew might be worth a visit - if your other half's granddad was politically controversial he might be mentioned in the Foriegn Office archives.

As it happens, yes, so that might be worth exploring. It's spooky reading about him from Chinese sources since the establishment began to accept him the 1980s. The revisionism in his obituaries and biographies is striking. That said, he wasn't a politician, he just wasn't liked by the government since he had an academic and independent opinion about history.

Try Central Library records room on the top floor. Also worth a look is the excellent Angel Cake on twitter.

And please don’t swear.

I appreciate the leniency here, what is the preferred euphemism for fly m*****f***** these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back