2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's arsed about last season man 38 games behind closed doors last season was a farcical "competition".

I know it must hurt watching us do well after hating on a manager who "insulted" us when you was only about 10 and was wearing a Leeds half n half but he is here and playing well so take it in and enjoy it.
You'd wish we got Steve Bruce or another one of these also rans for a few weeks just to turn the tables on these depressing meffs.

I'm sure the Geordies would take that deal, trading Brucie-lad fer Benitez...

After 4 games last season we were 1st, with a +7 goal difference, scoring goals for fun (more than after 4 games this season), pace and energy across the team, blah blah blah.

Rein it in you weirdo.
You don't seem very happy with Everton/Benitez doing well so far. I will wait for our first defeat and see the glee in your posts then......think you are the weirdo here.

Flat back four with Allan and Dacoure, should be enough to contain and keep out AntiFootball. We invited them on as they had plan for wing play, we had no real options in open play until Gomes came on and we started to open them up.

Imagine the quality of James...
100%

I've been trying very hard not to bring James into the discussion for obvious reasons, but he was another option available to him.

Mind you, seeing some of those tackles it's probably for the best he missed the game.

Well done Mr Benitez. Great decision to protect our best player from those thugs

100%

I've been trying very hard not to bring James into the discussion for obvious reasons, but he was another option available to him.

Mind you, seeing some of those tackles it's probably for the best he missed the game.

Well done Mr Benitez. Great decision to protect our best player from those thugs

Was sitting there last night at the game thinking about how we could have done with James, then came to the conclusion that it would have been a struggle for to have an impact on the game because of how negative we were and how deep we sat. In a different formation though, yes.

100%

I think somehow he has to find a way to get James back into the squad. That will show management skills. Even if he is just on the bench to give us an option of something different.

Imagine starting with a front 3 of Gray-DCL-Townsend and having the option of bringing on Richarlison, James and Rondon that would give teams something to think about.

We'll never know like but fans at our home games last season could have made a massive difference, you only have to look at the impact of fans up to now this season.

I agree mate it could have worked in our favour at times and others not so much.

We beat Leeds away last season whereas this season we played them with fans back at Elland Road for the first time since being back in the PL which would have gone against us.

Last season just wasn't football for me - we probably finished where we would give or take a place or two - we are an 8th-11th team its that simple.

I think somehow he has to find a way to get James back into the squad. That will show management skills. Even if he is just on the bench to give us an option of something different.

Imagine starting with a front 3 of Gray-DCL-Townsend and having the option of bringing on Richarlison, James and Rondon that would give teams something to think about.

I don't doubt that James will end up on the bench in the relatively near future. Any manager would be daft not to give themselves that option. I do think it's fair that Benitez demands a level of fitness that allows James to play at the required intensity for half an hour or whatever though. Thought it was telling that Colombia didn't pick him in the summer. He's their best ever player and a star there and they didn't feel he was in the right condition either. I can understand how James's lack of work off the ball could disrupt the balance of the team significantly - there's no way Guardiola or Klopp would put up with that sort of thing - James is never going to be a key player in a Benitez side, I just hope he meets him halfway and can get himself fit enough to give us a viable option off the bench at least, it's a huge waste if he can't.

After 4 games last season we were 1st, with a +7 goal difference, scoring goals for fun (more than after 4 games this season), pace and energy across the team, blah blah blah.

Rein it in you weirdo.
The massive difference though is that in two of those games we came from a goal down to win.

How many times over the entire season did we do that under Ancelotti; once?

Also, the squad looks miles fitter, the football is much more entertaining, and no more of this I BS; all about the team this season.

He could have done something about that, like not take the job if it bothered him that much.

But even you should be able to see the difference between that, and having your house ACTUALLY invaded by armed thugs who steal your valuables and threaten your daughter? Carlos had no choice in the matter.
And by your reckoning Carlos gave up then bailed after his whereas Benitez has sucked it up and cracked on regardless.

The tactics last night for the first 60 minutes were flat out wrong - there's no point sugar-coating it and pretending otherwise. We set up negatively and suffered as a result.

However, to Benitez's credit, he recognised the mistake and changed it to great effect. That is something Ancelotti refused to do last season - so fair play.
This 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back