2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainly agree, pretty sensible and I’m not calling for him to be sacked. There’s no point. If you’ve written off the next three games that’ll be no wins in 9 and one win in 11. That’s almost a third of the season without a win, he shouldn’t be given a free pass, I can question his set up and not want him sacked.

We have Brentford, Arsenal and Palace in this run inbetween the games I'd written off (City - RS - Chelsea) if we don't get results from those then of course all bets are off. We can only give so much leeway.

No one wrote off Watford though. We are all angry that happened, we should have won even with the players we had out there. But the cupboard is bare. We hadn't even a gomes to throw on. Sometimes you need to step back and look at why a team is struggling away from the heat of the moment and then you get the answers. We did get a reaction against a team that is better than us with a new manager bounce, without Conte we may have won that game.

There are a few things that need to happen, we need to build back up the depth that we once had but that came at a FFP cost - so it needs to be done sensibly leaving us with a bench that might make an impact and at worse not leave us several steps down from the player being subbed.

We need all our best players on the pitch at the same time, you can probably swap Townsend for a Gordon, Keane for Godfrey but our team must include:

Richarlison
DCL
Gray
Doucoure
Allan
Mina
Pickford (due to our replacement looking like he can't handle it)
Coleman (due to having no replacement)
Digne (although he is trying to remove himself from the list I expect he will do better when the aforementioned are on the side)

If when this happens and we still go a period of games without beating teams we should beat and improved performances against the teams we shouldn't then hell I might even start calling for him to be sacked too. Now is just ridiculous, like I say I wrote off three games in a list of 15 fixtures. Not every game is a write off.

Think the Watford and Villa games are the two main ones for me where you can heavily criticise the manager. But then again, it's his first season getting to know who he trusts etc (took Carlo a while). When to stick and twist.

Wolves are on from (current 6th ffs) and City is City.

It’s mad how absolutely black and white people get on here. There are 2 usual suspects of course..

Brands and Moshiri have to take the bulk of the blame for this mess obviously but it’s just being deliberately blind to ignore that Benitez is also culpable for sending out a team that is passive, negative and awful at set peices.

In a 4 month poeriod from last season...ANY 4 month period....show me where the injury list (and sustained injury list at that) came close to now....
Feel like the injuries thing is a little misrepresented. Agree we’re unfortunate in missing the 3 players who are probably all most crucial to us actually playing football, but I don’t think we’re disproportionately affected by injuries - the actual issue is the squad depth. Chelsea recently have had Lukaku, Jorginho, Kovacic, Alonso and Mount out with injury. It hasn’t transformed their whole season cos they have adequate personnel to limit the impact that has on general performance. Bemoaning the misfortune of the injuries masks the fact that this is a self-inflicted problem by the club for not having even competent backups to key players

James
Allan
Tosun
Gbamin
Delph
Coleman

DCL
Doucoure
Delph
Gbamin
Digne
Coleman

Think the Watford and Villa games are the two main ones for me where you can heavily criticise the manager. But then again, it's his first season getting to know who he trusts etc (took Carlo a while). When to stick and twist.

Wolves are on from (current 6th ffs) and City is City.
Pretty much all of benitez subs have baffled us all. Tactics what are they ?

When we were " playing well" earlier on in the season we still had about 30% possession in each game. Got dominated quite a lot but luckily got a few good results otherwise we really would be in trouble.

Whoever's fault it is and it's probably everyone's, the entire club is utterly rotten at the moment
There's a potential crisis in the making here, there's no getting away from it.

If we keep getting suspensions and adding to the injury list we can go into free-fall.

If it does happen, it's been years in the making. Anyone looking at the last 2 months of Everton results and saying we were ok before that has got rocks in their head.

If it's reasons for having something against Farke:

It's the fact his voice doesn't suit his face, for me. Like Beckham.

But yeah, what new is there to be said about Benitez? He's a useful meat shield for the board, I am at the point where it doesn't matter who is in the dugout until the director of football is dropped into the ocean and the owner leaves well enough alone then we're bound to keep repeating this cycle.

Yeah, I'm convinced the meat shield potential of Benitez is why he's here. I mean, it's idiotic because we all know who appointed him. Think whatever you want of him and his past but he's really not the main villain of the piece, is he? Having said that, he's not immune from criticism.

I am baffled why we keep chucking such huge salaries at, in the main, underwhelming managers. I bet even Ancelotti couldn't believe his luck when we agreed terms. Allardyce must have booked himself a custom built retirement villa sonewhere sunny with an outdoors gravy vat / bath on what we chucked at him. How much to Koeman? Now God knows what to Senor Benitez.

I'm sure Pulis would happily do the same for a third of the price. Pulis, IN!

Last edited:
Get shut of him and use any saving on wages to get a RB in, that was my argument. Of course that was expecting this idiot DoF to have a player in place ready to come in.

Silly me.

Yes, so we could get someone in January.

*sigh*
So, you "[were] expecting this idiot DoF to have a player in place ready to come in" in January? Strange phrasing and smells like porky pies, Dave, but let's assume you are being genuine, how do you know our DOF doesn't have a RB ready to come in in January?

Status
Not open for further replies.