Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ramiro Funes Mori

Will he get a work permit and play for us ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have our fans changed their opinions on him now then? I remember when he first arrived loads weren't willing to give him a chance because of the comments from Tim Vickery. Looks like he's proved Vickery and a lot of others wrong.

Apart from one or two dodgy moments, he's been excellent. The one thing he needs to improve on most are those over head kick type clearances with his right foot. He just misses the ball completely and falls over lol.

Most of our fans are idiots, though ;)

Glad he's come good for us. It was a gamble at the price considering, but he's quite obviously a 'big game' player, and having played for River Plate it's really no surprise.

Most of our fans are idiots, though ;)
It was a gamble at the price considering, .
£10 mill these days is nothing, I'm constantly hearing references to players I've never heard of going for £9, 10 mill . Didn't those two Man City defenders cost something like £60 mill a pair, Stones rated at £40 mill etc. I guess the gamble was always how he would adapt to PL football, I think even if he'd have been average we'd have got most of our money back in this crazy TV money transfer market, now he's doubled his worth in a few months.

£10 mill these days is nothing, I'm constantly hearing references to players I've never heard of going for £9, 10 mill . Didn't those two Man City defenders cost something like £60 mill a pair, Stones rated at £40 mill etc. I guess the gamble was always how he would adapt to PL football, I think even if he'd have been average we'd have got most of our money back in this crazy TV money transfer market, now he's doubled his worth in a few months.

Still, there's much more value abroad.

I'd agree if we had been signing a Prem cb for £9mil that it would be nothing, but we were getting a 24 year old who'd never played in Europe and it wasn't like we had 'tons' of cash (relatively speaking).

But it's more than paid off.

@Ramiro Funes Mori

Yeah, isnt Garay the LCB or has Mori pushed him out and now first choice?

Interesting about Barca, i wrote when we signed him that even if he didnt adapt to our league then we could sell to a Spanish side with him being an Argentina international (breaking through then). Of course he's been excellent for us and it seems like if he's first choice LCB then he's classed as superior to defenders rated in the £25-30mil bracket.

Who does he play best alongside for Argentina and who was he most comfortable with at River? I wonder if its a Stones or Jagielka type.....

Garay hasn't been a LCB since the last World Cup. For instance, in the last Copa America he played a few games as RCB alongside Otamendi/Demichelis. In the final games he was dropped and our CBs were Demichelis-Otamendi. Martino is playing him more oftenly as a starter because of his strong play and specially for being a lefty.

In River he played regularly with Maidana, who isn't exactly Stones. The regular defense in our past years was Mercado-Maidana-Ramiro-Vangioni (LB who will join Milan in June). Ramiro also teamed up with Pezzella (River youngster who is now playing for Betis in Spain) who has a more "Stonesish" type of play and a few times he played LB with Balanta as LCB (another River youngster who plays for Colombia's NT).

Mangala and otamendi together were 77 million

Who does he play best alongside for Argentina and who was he most comfortable with at River? I wonder if its a Stones or Jagielka type.....

He's always played with Maidana in River. Basically a strong guy with good timing who would rarely get into attacking possitions. Instead, he would hold his ground at the back, so if Ramiro made a mistake, Maidana was there to save his ass. Great at jumping and heading the ball, much like Ramiro. Mammana, another of our youth players, is different than Maidana in that he's more of a technical player that relies on timing and nothing else to recover the ball.

Have our fans changed their opinions on him now then? I remember when he first arrived loads weren't willing to give him a chance because of the comments from Tim Vickery. Looks like he's proved Vickery and a lot of others wrong.

Apart from one or two dodgy moments, he's been excellent. The one thing he needs to improve on most are those over head kick type clearances with his right foot. He just misses the ball completely and falls over lol.
That's a part of his game he should never lose. We would do well to remember we're in the entertainment industry and those clearances are comedy gold. He's the Stan Bowles of the back 4.

Vickery was on radio couple of days ago saying a particular South American signing wouldn't be quite at the Funes Mori level. And with such slight of hand are experts made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back