Remembrance Sunday..

Status
Not open for further replies.
L
I'd imagine most of us have got friends or family who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

If ever you have the time or feel the inclination look a bit further back to Nelson, Drake
and many, many others who put the great in Great Britain.

Like Seaman John Cornwell who won a Victoria Cross and was killed at the Battle of Jutland in 1916

...I read a book about 'young WW1 soldiers' who lied about their ages to join that horrific conflict. I think the youngest was 10 but there were plenty of 12 year olds who volunteered and lost their lives. very sad.

There's a series on R4 at the moment with Dan Snow in which he discusses various aspects and theatres of war during WW 1. It's an ongoing series and will follow the War yearly : these programmes showcase interviews with soldiers who fought in 1915, and at places not usually associated with the War - Salonika, Mesopotamia. Available on the IPlayer.

One of the most humbling experiences was a trip to the somme many moons ago. YOu can walk along the trenches as they are still there, no more wider than some cubicles. YOu can see the height and the angles of the battle field.

What is really humbling is one point where there is a tree and we were told, not one british soldier made it past that tree, and they were ordered to walk accross at the time thanks to General Haigue.

Can't imagine what it would have been like though, feeling like certain death is round the corner and your stood in a ditch in the ground through none of your own free will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back