Replacing a Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reidy's Bottle Of Grecian

The Unobstructed View
Our bathroom is absolutely stuffed, the shower was leaking (& now bust since Jan) so the kitchen ceiling is also stuffed, it may be that floorboards under the bath are also stuffed too so it is a case of ripping it all out. Anyway we had some round to give quotes in Feb and it was gonna be about 6 Grand, seems they want to charge 4k for about a weeks work MAX so thats not happening.

The 'solution' appears to be to buy 1 of the self contained shower cabins to eliminate the chance of it leaking all over again, have any of you got 1 ?
As i say it seems like the 'easy' option as it only needs connecting up to the water supply & the drain, it cuts down on a great deal of the tiling so money saved there as well & I feel that it's well within my skill set. I wouldn't feel confident ripping out the bath & fitting a 'traditional' shower enclosure as far too many mistakes to be made that could render the whole job a waste of time & way too many things to pay 'expensive' folk to do.

The bathroom is very pokey btw so we're incredibly limited with what we are able to do due to the maximum width we can get being 700mm.

It's of this 'type' that I'm thinking of, dont want steam etc as we have rock hard water that wrecks everything so the steam gen would last about a year like all the leccy showers have.
1590324171261.webp

Looks nice, but hope you've got deep pockets
#praysforreidy
Edit; mine needs doing as well I await the progress reports on what Not to do

Looks nice, but hope you've got deep pockets
#praysforreidy

tbh mate the thing needs sorting so it's a case of being a necessity now, the top of the range 1 is about £1100 to £1300, take away bluetooth stez, steam gen etc etc & it comes right down in price to around £700 which is cheaper than buying a shower enclosure, tray, mixer, tiles, paying the tiler & plumber. in fact from quotes the top of the range is probably cheaper too.
I can pretty much do everything myself if i opt for 1 of these, the only thing i'd need is a plasterer for the ceilings in there & below which i need anyway. It seems the plumbers are riding the current wave of 'must haves' & all arrive with their 'Portfolios' which is just an attempt to bung the price up so the 'must haves' can post it on Facebook with 'here's my new 10 grand bathroom.'
1 that arrived with his Portfolio & a 5k quote I've since been told is rubbish & to not go near, they're pretty much all booked up as well & when we got the quotes they were mostly busy for the next 2 months.
Lockdown hasn't helped regarding this either, plus I still don't really want to have folk come in to do work.

2 females with long hair are also making my life a misery over this & of course its all down to me even though it never leaked when i was in it but did whenever they went in.

tenor.gif

You cant just stick a big heavy shower unit on top of rotting floorboards mert.

You have the same issue and problem I have.

You need a new bathroom floor and kitchen ceiling, plus a new bathroom unit.

I feel your pain.

When my daughter was staying it was like Niagara Falls in the kitchen every time she took a bath.
You need help frandelinoGoatfriend?

Our bathroom is absolutely stuffed, the shower was leaking (& now bust since Jan) so the kitchen ceiling is also stuffed, it may be that floorboards under the bath are also stuffed too so it is a case of ripping it all out. Anyway we had some round to give quotes in Feb and it was gonna be about 6 Grand, seems they want to charge 4k for about a weeks work MAX so thats not happening.

The 'solution' appears to be to buy 1 of the self contained shower cabins to eliminate the chance of it leaking all over again, have any of you got 1 ?
As i say it seems like the 'easy' option as it only needs connecting up to the water supply & the drain, it cuts down on a great deal of the tiling so money saved there as well & I feel that it's well within my skill set. I wouldn't feel confident ripping out the bath & fitting a 'traditional' shower enclosure as far too many mistakes to be made that could render the whole job a waste of time & way too many things to pay 'expensive' folk to do.

The bathroom is very pokey btw so we're incredibly limited with what we are able to do due to the maximum width we can get being 700mm.

It's of this 'type' that I'm thinking of, dont want steam etc as we have rock hard water that wrecks everything so the steam gen would last about a year like all the leccy showers have.
View attachment 88154
Put as much lipstick on a pig as ye want, still a pig.

Your choice, pay the professional to do a proper job that is required or spend a couple of grand polishing a pig's arse then pay the tradesman when the ceilng/joists/floors cave in.

Good luck

Six grand sounds reasonable to me, but there`s no way it`s getting done in a week, especially if the kitchen ceiling needs doing too, as that`s a big job by itself and they won`t know how bad things are until they can get a proper look.

If the kitchen ceiling is gone, that`s the first job and if you think about it logically it could involve replacing joists, plumbing, elecs and plastering. There`s a few days at least.

tbh mate the thing needs sorting so it's a case of being a necessity now, the top of the range 1 is about £1100 to £1300, take away bluetooth stez, steam gen etc etc & it comes right down in price to around £700 which is cheaper than buying a shower enclosure, tray, mixer, tiles, paying the tiler & plumber. in fact from quotes the top of the range is probably cheaper too.
I can pretty much do everything myself if i opt for 1 of these, the only thing i'd need is a plasterer for the ceilings in there & below which i need anyway. It seems the plumbers are riding the current wave of 'must haves' & all arrive with their 'Portfolios' which is just an attempt to bung the price up so the 'must haves' can post it on Facebook with 'here's my new 10 grand bathroom.'
1 that arrived with his Portfolio & a 5k quote I've since been told is rubbish & to not go near, they're pretty much all booked up as well & when we got the quotes they were mostly busy for the next 2 months.
Lockdown hasn't helped regarding this either, plus I still don't really want to have folk come in to do work.

2 females with long hair are also making my life a misery over this & of course its all down to me even though it never leaked when i was in it but did whenever they went in.
I'm going to get a couple of quote and go from there.
Still toying with DIY though, 2 doors down had hers done, took about 8 working days...how hard can it be. Having all the right labour saving tools is half the battle - which I haven't
Where is @Ashtonian when you need him

Loving the irony in this thread btw, wasn't that long ago Reidy was losing his job because as a tradesman he couldn't get paid what he was worth and was crying and hating the world for it (understandably)

Crack on lads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back