Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis so far of Roberto's tenure

Basing League being more important than domestic cups and the Europa and whether he's overachieved, underachieved or done pretty much what you might expect :-

First season

League : Fifth with an excellent number of points. Definitely overachieved : 18/20

Domestic Cups : League cup, went out to Fulham, underachieved a bit; FA Cup - went out to Arsenal having beaten QPR and Swansea, no shame in that, probabaly about the best you could realistically expect : Overall 6/10

Second season

League : 11th with 47 points, underachieved : 12/20
Domestic Cups : Went out in our first games, but to half way decent sides. Underachieved : 4/10
Europa : Went out to a good Kiev team in a pretty horrible fashion, but we'd done well up to then 7/10

This season

League : Current 12th. Optimistically, we could finish 8th, realistically it's more likely to be 10th to 14th and could be as low as 15th or 16th. If we finished eigth, then I might generously give him 14/20, 10th to 14th would be something like 10 to 12/20 and 15th or 16th would see him down at 9 or 10/20.

Domestic Cups : Good progress in the League cup and eventually went out City. No shame in that. FA Cup so far, good progress and we've beaten a good Chelsea side to get to the semi. So far, for both competions, that's an 8/10. Beat West Ham or Man U, that's 9/10. Win the thing, well, you can't do any better so that'd be a 10/10. Anyway, somewhere between 8/10 and 10/10

Overall, give a take a bit depending on the rest of this season, that's something like 68/100, which is decent. If we were still in a Earl/Woods/Kenwright era or Moores/Noelle had taken us over, I'd say that's probably pretty much what we could expect. But if Moshiri's as ambitious as I hope and think he is, then we can probably do better.

Time will tell.

They play every game the same as we play away from home. Sit deep and play on the break. They just move the ball quicker out of defence

They don't do the tippy tappy sideways [Poor language removed] but I hope that's not the beautiful football you mention

Everton are not beautiful to watch, they could be, the players show moments of brilliance but are undermined by the mental weakness Martinez has instilled in the team

Agree on everything but this.

That's not all on RM.

If the players were half as good as we (maybe they) think they are, they'd show more. I'm not blaming the manager entirely for some of the abject performances.

I blame Martinez for constantly making the same mistakes every other week, and not being able to win at home in the league and finding excuses for that other than the obvious.

They're muck. Anyone saying they'd want that brand of 'football' year in year out are lying. It's mind numbing.

...they're top of the prem mate, and you're content with our mediocrity & downturn? Sound.

There's the 72 though eh, as said, can't wait for the DVD...

You must have dropped a blue fella about the size of a family cheesecake to keep a stalk up for BOBBY for this long Dave, it truly is verging on the greatest love of all...

Baseing League being more important than domestic cups and the Europa and whether he's overachieved, underachieved or done pretty much what you might expect :-

First season

League : Fifth with an excellent number of points. Definitely overachieved : 18/20

Domestic Cups : League cup, went out to Fulham, underachieved a bit; FA Cup - went out to Arsenal having beaten QPR and Swansea, no shame in that, probabaly about the best you could realistically expect : Overall 6/10

Second season

Domestic Cups : Went out in our first games, but to half way decent sides. Underachieved : 4/10
Europa : Went out to a good Kiev team in a pretty horrible fashion, but we'd done well up to then 7/10

This season

League : Current 12th. Optimistically, we could finish 8th, realistically it's more likely to be 10th to 14th and could be as low as 15th or 16th. If we finished eigth, then I might generously give him 14/20, 10th to 14th would be something like 10 to 12/20 and 15th or 16th would see him down at 9 or 10/20.

Domestic Cups : Good progress in the League cup and eventually went out City. No shame in that. FA Cup so far, good progress and we've beaten a good Chelsea side to get to the semi. So far, for both competions, that's an 8/10. Beat West Ham or Man U, that's 9/10. Win the thing, well, you can't do any better so that'd be a 10/10. Anyway, somewhere between 8/10 and 10/10

Overall, give a take a bit depending on the rest of this season, that's something like 68/100, which is decent. If we were still in a Earl/Woods/Kenwright era or Moores/Noelle had taken us over, I'd say that's probably pretty much what we could expect. But if Moshiri's as ambitious as I hope and think he is, then we can probably do better.

Time will tell.

Think you've been pretty generous on our league form the last season's mate, finishing in the bottom half with the squad we have is negligent

spurs seem to play a similar system to us 4-3-2-1 with high up full backs and a defensive player dropping in..

but have a much better defensive record, they do however have one of the best goalkeepers in the league and prob the best centre back in the league this season..

could it be as simple as those players?

Baseing League being more important than domestic cups and the Europa and whether he's overachieved, underachieved or done pretty much what you might expect :-

First season

Second season

This season

Time will tell.

First Season

League 6/10, we won nothing, we could have got 4th but the utter clown loaned an injured striker
Cups 3/10, we didnt win a thing

Second Season

League 3/10, utter rubbish
Cups 1/10, Just LOL
Europe 5/10, spanked and sent home the first time we faced a decent side

Third Season

League 2/10, Not a single improvement, anywhere
Cups 8/10, Unless we win it

Overall 4/10

Tony Pullis levels of utter failure

Think you've been pretty generous on our league form the last season's mate, finishing in the bottom half with the squad we have is negligent

I'm basing what you could reasonably expect partly on our squad and partly on our revenue. Our squad isn't as good as people like to think it is. If we're brutally honest with ourselves, it's a "fighting for Europa League" squad rather than "fighting for Champions League squad".

spurs seem to play a similar system to us 4-3-2-1 with high up full backs and a defensive player dropping in..

but have a much better defensive record, they do however have one of the best goalkeepers in the league and prob the best centre back in the league this season..

Poch employs a high pressing game

It took them a while to get used to (in fact, all of last season), but the fact is that if you press high up the pitch then there is less chance of the opposition getting in on your defence (which in their case is also very good)

There incredibly well drilled though.

Where as our Defence looks like 4 people that have never met each other

There incredibly well drilled though.

Where as our Defence looks like 4 people that have never met each other

Actually mate, they can be got at.

They're superb players but if you attack them at pace are vulnerable.

The thing is that Poch prevents that from happening often by employing a high press from his front 6 players, allowing the back line to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back