Rodwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see the lad netting for England last night against Germany. Rodders has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months or so.

For his age i think it is unreal how good he is. I really hope we see him playing for us for many more years to come.

His performence last night was simply incredible, that was the first time i saw him play against his peers at that level (having said that hes only 18) he was simply a class a part from anyone on the pitch, i knew he was a quality player but this lad given the right avenues to develop is world class, he has the potential to be as good as anything Engalnd have produced in many a year and you can add your Gerards and Lampards to that.

His passing and vision last night was beyond beleif, laying it of simply as well as spraying cross feild balls back, forwards and sideways within an inch, the difference being between him and Fernandes his balls actually get there. His techniuqe is incredible.

Equally this lad was born to be a footballer his atlethesism was made for covering blades of grass box to box with ease. Great engine to. He looked more confident at this level which is understandable, he ran with the ball more making driving runs from deep, jinking past players at times. Not forgetting the fact that his postiional play in the oppositions box and strength and determination in attacking the ball is superb as can be seen in his goal. What surprised me as well was how strong he was in the tackle last night a criticism i would have had of him in the games he has played for Everton, yet it has to be emembered he was playing at a different level but still one thats beyond his years.

If i have one criticism its some of his positioning in showing for the ball or being available for it, but that will come and it has to be remembered he was brought up as a centre back clearly this lad has to much talent to drop back into defence he could potentialy be devestating for us.

I remember watching Gerrards first few U21 games and he was nowhere near the level Rodwell reached last night. I really think he will be the Everton Gerard and possibiliy the future Everton and Engtland captain. To put into context i have watched a lot of this tournament and he is by far without bias the best player i have seen in it, despite being the second youngest player in it and being eligable to play in the next two U21 championships - it realy is unbeleavable. He wont though he may well be in the full England squad it the not to distant future.

Didnt see the game, but apparantly the commentators were creaming over him.

I agree with Neiler. He's positioning is what needs working the most because everything else seems leaps and bounds ahead of players older than him.

Its his composure more than anything else. I'll always remember the FA Cup derby game when he got the ball the chipped up over a sliding Alonso and laid it off...he's 18 FFS, he's not supposed to do stuff like that, and so calmly.

There was a German lad there whos supposed to be the next big thing to comeout of Germany, played in the Uefa Cup final this season, Rodders made him look like a Schoolboy.

There was a German lad there whos supposed to be the next big thing to comeout of Germany, played in the Uefa Cup final this season, Rodders made him look like a Schoolboy.

Bit off topic...but I'm not rating that Michael Mancienne so far. He falls asleep, has been sent off in a John Terry "oh I've lost my man I'll pull him back" trick, and from what I've heard was quite gash again last night.

NOthing compared to Rodders.hahaha

Bit off topic...but I'm not rating that Michael Mancienne so far. He falls asleep, has been sent off in a John Terry "oh I've lost my man I'll pull him back" trick, and from what I've heard was quite gash again last night.

NOthing compared to Rodders.hahaha

I actually like him, true to say he has a touch of the Joey Yobo at times and switches of but he looks like with a bit of coaching and attention (doubt he gets much at Chelsea) he could be a player.

That Richard Stearman looks like an absolute beast. Adam Johnson is quality to.

Didnt think much of Driver the lad at Hearts we were linked to.

The Mirror -
Handed his first start, he fitted in like a veteran, running the midfield with composure and athleticism, and showing why he has already made 21 appearances for David Moyes' Merseysiders and earned a five-year contract last season.

If the likes of James Milner, Kieron Gibbs and Micah Richards have put themselves back on the map for Fabio Capello's senior squad, then Rodwell will have smacked the England boss in the face with his performance last night.

At this rate Rodwell is a cert to be capped at senior level before he turns 20, and looks like a man who could inherit the mantle of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard at future major tournaments.

The Guardian -

Rodwell is only 18 and this was his full debut at this level but the Everton midfielder stamped his class over the 90 minutes. In his athleticism, the precision of his tackling and his assurance in possession, he demanded that Fabio Capello, the manager of the full England team, tracks his progress. "Beyond his years," remarked Pearce. "Jack has given me a selection headache, as have the rest of them."

The Independent -

Everton's Jack Rodwell, given a first start at this level was the outstanding player, holding the centre of midfield together alongside the captain Craig Gardner, who sprayed some good passes to the flanks.

The boy did good then hahah

Psycho says:

"Rodwell was the star man in a decent team performance,"
"The Rodwells of this world look like they can take anything on," beamed Pearce.
"
"He was beyond his years. I told him three weeks ago I need to hear his voice more and I have heard him more and more.

"Performances like that will come from it. He's quiet but strong mentally. Every day he has flourished more and more."

England are now into the semi-finals of the European Championships and Pearce is expecting to see more from the Everton youngster.
"He's a big bonus but I expect that from him,"

"There is a hard-nosed doggedness and I'll make sure there is no complacency," Pearce said.

"The Rodwells of this world look like they can take anything on. Myself and the coaching staff as well are two years more experienced and that is serving us well.

"We hope we go one better than the semi-final this time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back