Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the modern game everyone is for sale. The Sh##e couldn't stop Barcalona taking Dracula nor Chelsea taking Torres. Man Utd couldn't stop Real Madrid taking Ronaldo. The best thing to do is to privately name our price to all the interested clubs and they can take it or leave it. We hold all the cards at this stage but we won't for long If we don't press our advantage while we have it.

Good post mate. Imo I think it hinges on Costa staying or leaving. I know Conte has said Rom isn't the finished article and needs to work on his hold up play, but there's no denying he's going to find the net and no doubt as he ages other aspects of his game will improve. I think Chelsea will be the only destination and it'll obviously depend on Costas situation.
I agree they're certainly the favourites for his signature. Even if Costa does go though there may be other suitors that Conte would prefer to Rom. If Griezmann goes in the summer I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Atletico. I actually think their style suits his game perfectly.

Thing is "mate" he can force a move this year . He will be 3 years since he signed his contract and as such is outside what is called the protected period.
What you are talking about is he were to run his conract down and leave on a Bosman . What I am talking about is him leaving under Article 17.
Has Lukaku not signed an improved contract in the last 2 years.

isn't that webster ruling if the player has 3 years left?

Not quite

If a player who signed a contract after the age of 28 and after completing 2 years under the terms of that contract he can, within 15 days of a clubs last competitive game in a season give notice and terminate his contract even if there are several years left on it.
There will be compensation due.
When the player is under 28 he can't exercise that option until he has completed 3 years. That is the position Lukaku is in at this seasons end.
As has rightly been pointed out before very few player leave under this ruling but my understanding is that the threat of its use has been used on several occasions for the fear of players exercising their rights leads to the owning club caving in to a players demands.
There have been three different formulas applied when compensation under such circumstances applied but even applying the most generous the level of compensation would be in the range £15-£20 million

The only thing we know for certain is that Rom has said he isn't going to sign the contract that is on the table, and that, at the end of this season, there are 2 more years remaining on his current contract.

As I see it, there are 4 possible outcomes.

1) The club offer a revised contract that is acceptable to Lukaku and his agent. I can't see this happening to be honest, and I certainly wouldn't welcome it if it meant putting the club in worse position than it is now as regards future potential transfer fees.

2) The club shows ambition early in the transfer market. Brings in he likes of VVD and Tielemans and Mertens. and Rom decides he's seen enough commitment from the club and decides to sign the contract on the table. As an optimist, I'd like to believe that this is a possibility but the cub need to be a lot more decisive than they have shown in the past for this to happen.

3) The club will have a value in mind for Lukaku which I suspect will be north of £70m. The club will also want any business does early in the window, certainly by end of July I would imagine. Rom and his agent will be aware of all this. If somebody comes in and offers the required amount, then Lukaku will go. I believe this will be the most likely outcome.

4) No club meets our valuation of the player so Lukaku stays with us. I think this is the second most likely outcome and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Depends on how the player commits himself on the field next season. We've seen both sides of Rom during his tenure here and I don't know which player we'll see if he is forced to stay.

As for which party has the upper hand, I actually think it's 50/50. Yes, the club can force him to see out at least another year of his contract, but by doing that his value will undoubtedly drop plus we may have a disgruntled player on the books. From Roms side, he can also decide not to sign for a club if he so wishes. So if the likes of a Chinese club or PSG match our value, Lukaku is not compelled to sign. In addition, from the end of this season he has a limited period when he can invoke FIFAs article 17 which allows him to buy out his own contract. It's very rarely done so I'm not sure what the actual process is and how long it takes, but it will undoubtedly be very unsavoury for all concerned.

As regards potential suitors for Rom, it really is a limited market. Apart from the Chinese, there are probably only 6 premier clubs, 2 from Italy, 3 in Spain, 1 in Germany and 1 in France who could afford the fee. So 13 in total. He won't suit the style of either Liverpool or City and I would say the same for Barca, Real Madrid and Munich. I don't think Arsenal will provide CL football and I don't think he'll be happy playing in a sub standard French league. Spurs already have Kane plus I don't think Levy would be prepared to pay the fee. Juventus have Higuain, Dymbala and Mandzukic. That leaves United and Chelsea in England, and Milan and Atletico abroad. Not a great deal of options for him and it's highly unlikely that Milan will manage to catch up with Napoli for a CL place so that will probably rule them out too.

Bottom line is I've really no idea what is going to happen in the summer and we'll just need to see how it all plays out. This is reflected in the betting which actually has him staying at Everton as slight favourites ahead if joining Chelsea and Man Utd.
The only positive from this situation is that Rom is having the time of his life and if the offers don't come in I can't see him sulking about next season. I only see him causing problems if we don't make a HUGE splash, teams come in for him and we don't sell. This team looks the most likely to break into the top 4 next season- hopefully European football doesn't hinder us in that regard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back