Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
signings like Schnerderlin and Gueye who believe in what we want to achieve

Seriously ?

I mean, I think they've both been great signings, but if you really think they, or any other player who has no natural affiliation to the club, would turn down a big name / money move then you're being very naive. The thing with Rom is that he's very articulate and he's also brutally honest, so we know he wants to play CL football.

The maths dont look good for us if he runs down his contract. If he wanted to he could then wait another 6 months after that and walk out for nothing.

I don't often agree with you Dave but your spot on here. Too many people think top 4 is a shoe in next season if we simply keep him one more season. The odds are stacked against us and if we keep him and finish 5-7th next season we'll have thrown £40 odd million down the pan.

We are not Man City who can afford to operate that way. Get £85 million and move on.

I think some of our fans have been a bit brainwashed by the media sadly. The sane media that had wanted to sell every good player we've had for about 15 years.

He's never said he wants to leave, he said he won't sign the contract extension because he doesn't think we're ambitious. The receptions he's been getting since are great to see from our fans, but we all should be United in pointing out the fact he's not said he wants to leave atm.
He is world class, showing it week in, week out. Instead of celebrating the fact, all this threads about is selling him. Sad.

I don't often agree with you Dave but your spot on here. Too many people think top 4 is a shoe in next season if we simply keep him one more season. The odds are stacked against us and if we keep him and finish 5-7th next season we'll have thrown £40 odd million down the pan.

We are not Man City who can afford to operate that way. Get £85 million and move on.

Hes not saying take 85m.

Hes suggesting we sell for 60m.

Do keep up.

Exactly.

I'll also throw this in too: I just wonder how long Lukaku's form lasts and how long before he has a bad injury.

We have rung out the value from this lad and to get circa £80M off him and move on would be wise, IMO.

Dont push our luck, we could very well have had the very best years of him already.

£100M is North Korea style upping the ante.

it's not though is it. Your constantly saying we are a 1 man team, we will struggle big time without him etc etc so if we are a one man team and he's basically irreplaceable then we are going to want to sell him for big money to soften the blow.

We are not holding him prisoner, in fact if he'd piped down over the years instead of bigging himself up as the next greatest striker on the planet every international duty we probably would be asking for about 20m less.

He reckons he's gonna be one of the best, so we value him as one of the best.

quite simple really

Disgruntled?

Did you even see him under Martinez, he hated every second, he still banged them in, the fella is a total pro, there will be no disgruntlement, only slotting.
No he didn't mate. A two month spell last season was his 'nightmare' period.

Seriously ?

I mean, I think they've both been great signings, but if you really think they, or any other player who has no natural affiliation to the club, would turn down a big name / money move then you're being very naive. The thing with Rom is that he's very articulate and he's also brutally honest, so we know he wants to play CL football.

But it's for 1 season and CL targets still turn you down for the big names. What did Liverpool achieve finishing 2nd under Rodgers? Still lost Suarez and couldn't bring Sanchez in who went for Arsenal.

What did Spurs achieve pre Pochettino? Still lost the likes of Bale, Modric and couldn't attract the very best to stay in the top 4 places.

Leicester- Lost Kante, brought inplayers like Musa and Mendy need I say more?

This notion that 1, ONE top 4 finish can set us up for the big time is utterly deluded and it's why I laugh when people opt on those polls for a top 4 finish over a cup win.

We quality for the CL next season, Rom will still leave but for £40 million and not £80-90 million with having only 1 year left on his deal, we still bring in good players but the very best still go to your Man city's, Chelseas, Utds on 200k+ a week deals and they finish above us and knock us out the top 4 places the following season.

The reality is unless your bankrolled by an oligarch or sheikh season in season out a 1 off CL qualification does diddly squat for a club.

it's not though is it. Your constantly saying we are a 1 man team, we will struggle big time without him etc etc so if we are a one man team and he's basically irreplaceable then we are going to want to sell him for big money to soften the blow.

We are not holding him prisoner, in fact if he'd piped down over the years instead of bigging himself up as the next greatest striker on the planet every international duty we probably would be asking for about 20m less.

He reckons he's gonna be one of the best, so we value him as one of the best.

quite simple really
That's not a contradiction mate. You can say we'll struggle without him without advocating sticking with him. My point has been that we will struggle, yes, but the task is to use the cash wisely to cushion the blow and rebuild again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back