Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with him leaving, should we really have to fear the likes of Stoke, West Brom and Bournemouth overtaking us?
Yes , you are going be losing out on 20 odd goals a season. You could hit gold and get a great replacement. The teams below you will be trying to strengthen whilst from the outside looking in you'll be a lot weaker next year.

You could then prove everyone wrong and have a fantastic transfer window and push on but tbh we won't know until the end of august :)

Lukaku in interview clearly showed that the club that wants him and that he wants is Chelsea...the interesting bit from his interview is that wherever he goes, he goes there to play. If a player is in front of him, he will do everything to be in front of the competition. So if costa stays at Chelsea and is the favourite option for conte, not sure lukaku is going to be happy there at all. I can see him a lot on the bench. Wherever he goes, he is never going to be first choice unless he stays at Everton of course

Also, will Chelsea REALLY pay 80mil for a sub?

costa looks to be staying so I just cannot see it.

It's a bit weird

Very definitely, Mike.....maybe not all those three clubs per se but certainly the likes of Saints, Leicester and Hammers are capable of stepping up on last season's showing while as things stand right now it is easier to see us regressing rather than improving come August IMO.

The way we tapered off toward the end of the season, the autumn slump and the general all round naffness of our away play was largely overlooked due to a string of impressive home victories in the early months of 2017, but even those improved displays came to a halt the moment we got in a position to worry the teams in contention for the final CL spot.

And I personally am beginning to get a bit jittery about what is going to happen in this transfer window.

We have all but said goodbye to our striker and God alone knows what is happening with Barkley.

The fans need the club to make a big Eff U signing to settle us down and that does not look very likely to happen as far as I can see :(

I agree we are in dire need of strengthening, the squad is still mainly absolute crud despite that run of form we had in the new year, many including myself have been saying that we need to bring in 8-10 players this summer if we want to have any hope of improving. But still, the league is incredibly weak outside the top 6, look how far ahead of 8th we finished. I can't see us regressing far enough in one window to fall behind some of the dross mentioned there, unless we literally sell Lukaku and Barkley and make no signings at all.

Yes , you are going be losing out on 20 odd goals a season. You could hit gold and get a great replacement. The teams below you will be trying to strengthen whilst from the outside looking in you'll be a lot weaker next year.

You could then prove everyone wrong and have a fantastic transfer window and push on but tbh we won't know until the end of august :)

SHUT UP AND GIVE US BUTLAND

Well it's not a sustained model is it. That is just the level we are at at the minute, isn't it. As we grow and get better as a club and hopefully become champions league challengers or even regulars then we can go for player's more in their prime at the top end of the spectrum. Unfortunately at the position we are in now we can't do that. So this is the best we can do when it comes to those caliber of players.

Unfortunately it seems you have missed my point. Lukaku doesn't suit koemans style of play. He wants a high intensity pressing game. That was what he sais he wanted last summer and what he was working towards. For pre season thats what we did. Against spurs that's what we did. Unfortunately we didn't have a striker to go with this style of play who could score goals. So when lukaku came back into the side, the style of play suffered because that boy couldnt press a orange. Players around him had to work twice as hard and couldn't sustain the levels required. The stle if play fell to bits after the first 5 games and that is why I believe we went on that terrible run.

So yes I believe that if you take lukaku out of the squad and being in players that adhere to the high press koeman wants to implement upon us. Letting the goals be spread around the squad instead of all comming from the same player. I do believe that we will benifit from it and be able to push on and become a more cohesive team.
I understood your point I just disagree with it. If we end up with a trio of forwards who run themselves into the ground every game then, IMO at least, we will score less goals. The reason we had a terrible run is because teams figured out our tactic (singular), we improved in part because Bolasie's injury forced us to change tactics and, yes, because we started playing to Lukaku's strengths.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...dmits-staying-everton-not-option-claims-know/

Romelu Lukaku has stated that remaining at Everton “is not really an option” and claimed that his agent has already reached an “agreement” with another club over his future.

That club is believed to be Chelsea although there is significant work still needed for the transfer to take place – not least because they are not expected to go close to the £100 million fee still being demanded by Everton.

Chelsea, his former club, and the club he supported as a boy, and where he is hugely admired by technical director Michael Emenalo, is believed to be his preferred destination although the 24 year-old would not reject a move to Manchester United who have registered their interest.

"Staying at Everton is not really an option for next season,” Lukaku said.

“There is nothing concrete with another club at the moment, my agent (Mino Raiola) is busy discussing things. I’m not going to make big declarations about my future, but I know where I want to play: in a club who are competing in the Champions League and can win titles in England.

“Staying in England is best for me. I know the competition, and I’ve almost reached 100 goals in the league, which is a milestone I want to achieve.

“The Premier League is a dream for me, but I also want to win the Champions League, the FA Cup and other prizes. I don’t want to stay at the same level. I want to improve, and I know where I want to do that.

“My agent is now talking to a club. I know where I want to go, so I’ll just stay patient. I know meetings have been arranged, so I’m just waiting for a call. We are now in discussions with the club. We’ll see what happens.”

Hope this gets done early and we are not rushing to buy replacements.
As disappointing as it is, it is hardly unexpected news. One of Walsh' first jobs should have been to identify forwards to compliment lukaku or alternatively players to replace him. We should have a clear plan now as to who we need and as you say get lukaku moved on and our business conducted earlier.

Could still loose lukaku and Be a mile better than the teams below. We're obviously gonna replace Rom with somebody half decent anyway. Teams below us aren't very good luckily

This has been planned for some time so I would assume that it will go through fairly quickly. The silence from the club is deafening and possibly telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back