Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Romelu Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frustrating situation this.

We waited over 20 years for a striker of his quality, someone who could get 20+ a season, and it's been well and truly blown. Stating the obvious when I say replacing him is vital.

If only we'd have got 4th in 13/14.........

Careful what you wish for mate, IF we had gotten 4th we'd have been in the CL that season, added games probably mean the league form would have dipped a fair bit arouind the group stage games, and with only 10 games left or so we in reality where dangerously close to being in the relegation battle, with Cl that season instead of the EL we mayb have been very much involved at the end of the season.

CL or no CL, finishing 4th or not, none of that would have stopped the collapse of the defense or fitness of the team, none of it would havemade Martinez adress the fundamental flaws he had, and last point, none of it would have stopped Lukaku thinking he should have Romelu Lukaku - Manchester United/Chelsea/Real Madrid attached after his name when people talk about him

regardless of what we think and regardless of what we would have achieved in the last 3 years, Lukaku was always a player who would have wanted to move to a 'bigger' (see higher profile) club, that is really the rality of the modern game, every single one of the players we will bring into this club has already left their 'boyhood' team, or the team they support, etc, we honestly can't expect any loyalty from them when it comes down to it

What we could and should expect though is that they act proffessionally and respect the club whilst they are here, what we should demand is that they give everything they have in every game whilst here, Lukaku has failed on all 3 counts

Personally would love nothing more than a new manager coming in, say Emery, and in his first press conference being asked about Lukaku moving to a bigger club etc, and for him to point blank come out and quote his record of going over 15 hours (900 minutes) over 10 games without managing to score a goal in the league, and then to point out his goal rate of 1 in 4 for one of the best National sides in the world and simply say we can do better than a player who thinks that this form makes him better than our team.

Lukaku

Last 9 league games - no goals (close to 900 minutes - 15 hours - zero goals)
Last 18 league games 3 goals (close to 1800 minutes - or 30 hours - 3 goals)

Basically 3 goals in the second half of the league campaign is absolutely shocking stats for anyone thinking they are on a level with the very best strikers in the World

IF we where looking at a striker with that second half of the season stats and looking to pay the type of money that Lukaku will cost i woiuld be very very worried honestly, are their excuses as to why it fell off a cliff - yeah, ofc their is, but whats not being said by the media (obviously as they want him at a sky club) is that his scoring rate fell off a cliff mainly due to him missing easy chances, hitting the woodwrok when it was easier to score and fluffing one on ones routinely - not to mention the penalties...

Done another little stats attack check as well

Games against the top 5 teams this season and against 'BIG' teams Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, United, the rs, City - his scoring rate - 1 goals in those 12 games in the league (against a rs team that was trying to get their manager the sack at the time)

Interesting little stat here now i started checking - his record last season against the same group of teams - 0 goals in 12 games

So the last 24 league games he has played against the 'BIG' clubs - high pressure games, he has scored 1 goal in 24 games...

First season the loan one - 5 goals in 10 games aginst those teams
Loan at West Brom record - 5 goals in the 10 games against those teams

Since his permanent move and the pressure on him eased in a way his production in the big games (arguably where you ened him most) has fallen off a cliff,

We still got an extra year out of him and he hasn't dropped in value. We may even get another year.

Debatable as to increasing in value over 12 months but yes that's a possibility as is the fact that there may be another year yet but potentially at what cost? It's really worth looking up Webster ruling for its much a kin to the Bosman ruling in relation to players under contract.

My point in this has always been the negative impact that players who have handed in transfer requests or stated in the press that they want away have in a team environment. The majority of mangers and indeed clubs banish players making such demands to train with the juniors and are shown the exit door as soon as.

That negativity isn't something you can see nor is it something that's going to be reported but for me there are signs and yes to a degree I suspect the managers handling of the whole team hasn't been that great but I can't help but feel that by bigging up Stones and indeed RL has had a major negative impact inalterable players performances.Also I can't help but feel another major negative factor followed the totally out of character comments from Baines and the crass way he was put down by Bobby and as what generated LB comments

I fully accept that there are two distinct views as to the merit of rejecting transfer requests, for me as you will see I am fully in the camp of ship out but I fully accept that others puff their chests out and say something along the lines about taking control back from players and yes it does in the very short term but the costs can be counted in far more than pounds , shillings etc.

Last edited:
Debatable as to increasing in value over 12 months but yes that's a possibility as is the fact that there may be another year yet but potentially at what cost? It's really worth looking up Webster ruling for its much a kin to the Bosman ruling in relation to players under contract.

My point in this has always been the negative impact that players who have handed in transfer requests or stated in the press that they want away have in a team environment. The majority of mangers and indeed clubs banish players making such demands to train with the juniors and are shown the exit door as soon as.

That negativity isn't something you can see nor is it something that's going to be reported but for me there are signs and yes to a degree I suspect the managers handling of the whole team hasn't been that great but I can't help but feel that by bigging up Stones and indeed RL has had a major negative impact inalterable players performances.Also I can't help but feel another major negative factor followed the totally out of character comments from Baines and the crass way he was put down by Bobby and as what generated LB comments

I fully accept that there are two distinct views as to the merit of rejecting transfer requests, for me as you will see I am fully in the camp of ship out but I fully accept that others puff their chests out and say something along the lines about taking control back from players and yes it does in the very short term but the costs can be counted in far more than pounds , shillings etc.

Gerrard stated he wanted to leave Liverpool for Chelsea - they'd finished 5th that season, following seasons they finished 3rd twice, 4th then 2nd
Suarez stated he wanted to move - following season they finished 2nd and almost won the league and he was by far and away the standout player in the league that season and really speaking he added to every players game that they had in that team (Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge played far beyond their actual level that season due in a large part to the sewer rat)

Can't say that it has always had a negative effect mate, it entirely depends on the player involved and how his teammates react to him once he has been told he is staying, IF he puts in maximum effort i think ti's quickly forgotten about and can even work as a positive for the team overall

Can probably think of a lot more cases, just those two in particular stuck in my mind as they where are beloved neighbours

I'm
Gerrard stated he wanted to leave Liverpool for Chelsea - they'd finished 5th that season, following seasons they finished 3rd twice, 4th then 2nd
Suarez stated he wanted to move - following season they finished 2nd and almost won the league and he was by far and away the standout player in the league that season and really speaking he added to every players game that they had in that team (Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge played far beyond their actual level that season due in a large part to the sewer rat)

Can't say that it has always had a negative effect mate, it entirely depends on the player involved and how his teammates react to him once he has been told he is staying, IF he puts in maximum effort i think ti's quickly forgotten about and can even work as a positive for the team overall

Can probably think of a lot more cases, just those two in particular stuck in my mind as they where are beloved neighbours

Gerrard apologised for saying he wanted out and as most will know there probably a lot more to why he stayed than has been published but following the apology he was granted a shining new contract.

As for Suarez they did indeed turn down a £40,000,001 offer from Arsenal and yes he stayed another season and then for probably more than one reason he was sold, many suggest he had been promised he could leave just as Ronanldo has been told play one more season then you can go.

If a player wants out you have to do something to turn their head and sorry in this day and age a big stick isn't the answer!

Player power now is on a different level to when just about all clubs dug their heels in. The rules governing players is different, their remmuneration is obscene and the impact of hard nosed agents who don't give a toss about anything other than a quick buck puts the players very much in the box seat.

Lewandowski's agent has had talks with Real Madrid over a possible transfer. Could see Bayern moving in for Lukaku if that is the case.

Surely Dortmund have to make a stand sometime?

Lukaku said he enjoyed German football too.

Maybe but it's very unlikely, they just crumble under Bayern's will.

If Bayern want a player they'll more than likely get him.

Ultimately though Bayern won't pay what we'd ask for Rom, they can get 2/3 for that price and that is what they're all about - having the best squad to compete in all competitions.

Makes sense for them hypothetically, to spend let's say 65 million, on Aubameyang and someone like Sane from Schalke than to buy Lukaku. 1) They weaken rivals, 2) they get more players for the cost and 3) they have improved their ever improving squad.

They'll just go and buy Aubameyang if that happened.
Haven't Dortmund already bought his replacement? I'm sure they agreed a deal for that Ousmane Dembele from Rennes.

My take on the Lukaku comments is that his agent knows there isn't a spot for him on the striker transfer merry-go-round unless Everton drop their asking price significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back